PDA

View Full Version : WTK: About PSA 18" CHF Midlength kit

kwthor
December 10, 2016, 16:22
Does anyone have any experience on these kits with FN barrels ?

http://palmettostatearmory.com/psa-18-chf-midlength-5-56-nato-1-7-heavy-rifle-kit.html?trk_msg=PUT6VI9Q350KJ0052D2DL7LQI4&trk_contact=NE6M0UEARAJRIICHN35UC3E9UC&utm_source=Listrak&utm_medium=email&utm_term=http%3a%2f%2fpalmettostatearmory.com%2fps a-18-chf-midlength-5-56-nato-1-7-heavy-rifle-kit.html&utm_campaign=Daily+Deal+Email&utm_content=5%3a00+Email+

oleblu72
December 10, 2016, 17:02
No but I've thought about buying one of their complete uppers. I'm building a 18" and a 22" that have ARP 3 groove Triad barrels now.

Mark

ftierson
December 10, 2016, 17:05
Both my brother and I bought one of these kits a few months back.

Best PSA kits that I've ever had...

Forrest

kotengu
December 10, 2016, 17:27
I bought one of the 14.5" midlength uppers with the CHF barrel a couple years ago. It works great, and gives a consistent 1.5 MOA.

4x401
December 10, 2016, 17:27
I've put together almost 20 PSA kits that used FN barrels, every dang one of them have given excellent accuracy. That said,,,

Stay away from any kit using a stainless barrel!

I've personaly seen 6 that had their chambers cut so bad they needed sent back, or reworked. Don't know who they source them from, but obviously the quality is lacking.

ftierson
December 10, 2016, 21:12
Does anyone have any experience on these kits with FN barrels ?

By the way, I think enough of this 'deal' (for 508067) that I just ordered another...

Just sayin'...

Forrest

bulletslap
December 10, 2016, 21:22
I just put together a 18.5 inch upper with one of their stainless barrels, it may be a Wilson. It looks OK, and I am getting 2 MOA at a 100 yards with Black Hills 55 fmj reloads.

Maybe I got lucky, time will tell :whistling:

Bertellione
December 11, 2016, 03:11
It's a great deal for what your getting. I've built two mid lengths whith FN barrels so far and both have given great accuracy. For the price it's a deal, I bought my FN barrels from Spikes for around 300$ and had to get all the parts and drill and pin the fsb. If I didn't already have two mid lengths I'd buy one and still thinking about it because of the price.

ftierson
December 11, 2016, 11:40
As a related aside, I took the one that I have (assembled on an Anderson lower with the trigger that came with the kit) and, after a couple of rounds to 'sight in' the rifle, shot a five round group slightly larger than 3/8 inch (center-to-center) at 50 yards using an Aimpoint CompM2/M68 sight (which has a 3 MOA dot). Shot from the bench, with the M4 type handguards supported on the rest. I shot at the center of a blank 8.5x11 inch sheet of paper, shooting an M193 spec reload (PPU M193 bullet, 25.5gr AA2460, CCI400 primer, loaded in five random cases (LC07, R-P .223 Rem., LC08, WCC83 and LC77). Shot 19OCT2016.

I consider this to be exceptional performance, especially given the sights and the shooter... :)

Forrest

hueyville
December 12, 2016, 07:58
Every FN CHF barrel purchased from Palmetto has been ace high to date. Have them in 14.7", 16" and 18". On their stainless barrels have only purchased the CHF 18" Wylde chambered units when they hit the $99 and under price point a few years ago and all have been good but usually a ~$250 barrel. Have not seen them at a buy price since "after Christmas 2014". The only other stainless barrels have gotten from them were occasional Wilson made units in 6.8 on sale. Have heard way too much bad on their price point no name stainless to get into that bind.

ftierson
December 12, 2016, 12:31
Every FN CHF barrel purchased from Palmetto has been ace high to date. Have them in 14.7", 16" and 18". On their stainless barrels have only purchased the CHF 18" Wylde chambered units when they hit the $99 and under price point a few years ago and all have been good but usually a ~$250 barrel. Have not seen them at a buy price since "after Christmas 2014". The only other stainless barrels have gotten from them were occasional Wilson made units in 6.8 on sale. Have heard way too much bad on their price point no name stainless to get into that bind.

To be fair, as I've mentioned here before, I have three of the 16in Freedom Stainless barreled 1/7 mid-length kits, purchased separately in February, June and September of 2015. I have now shot two of these three rifles (the June and September ones), both of which display quite nice accuracy with absolutely no sign of any of the chamber problems that 4x401 has talked about (I have inspected and resized the cases shot in these rifles). The third rifle looks OK in the chamber, but shooting is the real tell. I'll probably get to that sometime over the next couple of months, weather permitting...

Having said this, in no way am I disputing 4x401s statements about the problems that he's seen with the SS barrels. It would be interesting to know approximately when they were shipped and whether they came from the same production lot or whether the problem with the stainless barrels is broader than that.

However, having said all this, I have also stayed away from the SS Freedom barrels since hearing of the problems that 4x401 has mentioned, figuring that, as that old saying goes, where there's smoke, there's ... well, you know the rest.

I am happy that at least two of the three I have are just fine and dandy though... :)

Forrest

hueyville
December 12, 2016, 14:02
Would like to know myself if there is any discernible rhyme or reason to issues with Palmetto stainless barrels as they have enough roll up deeply discounted would nice to buy. Have purchased quite a few of their house branded carbon steel barrels at sale prices in the $79 to $99 price range with good luck. Don't know if they had a couple bad batches get out that reputation keeps repeating on internet, if specific to the Freedom line or what. I take lots of chances on barrels even buying DSA AR15 barrels on sale when cheap enough. (not knocking DSA AR barrels but only buy when dirt cheap)

The issues have read about their stainless barrels are from dozens of independent sources, not one person repeating 4x401's report. Most seem to cite improperly cut chambers and wonder if they are buying blanks and outsourcing chambering and final profiling to lowest bidder of the week which shows up just often enough to keep this problem repeating itself or did they buy a few super large batches with enough issues to keep sneaking out and killing reputation of what could be decent product percentage wise.

Purchased a total of five 18" CHF 1:7 Wlyde barrels end of 2014 (three for $99 and two for $89 if brain engaged, know all were under a c-note) and have built three of them. When first built all got a good scope on top and were taken to range for testing. All shot MOA or better and the best one sits in rack next to bed with a Leupold 2x-7x and Burris Fastfire red dot optic in PEPR mount. It was best shooter of the lot and is consistent well past 200 yards.

Other two are cleaned and archived with iron sights and 1x red dots. Eventually will hit a deal on glass to put on them. My common issue with AR's is a decent scope often costs two to four times more than costs to build a rifle. Thus over half my builds have a $15 to $50 used take off out of the junk box at LGS till the day comes good glass rains out of the sky. Figure Ar's will get banned long before scopes so pile up rifles first. Expect to see some good after Christmas deals and would like to pile up more barrels.

twodog
December 12, 2016, 15:58
I bought one of the 16 inch Freedom Stainless barrel kits last year and put it on an Anderson lower. So far it shoots great.

ftierson
December 24, 2016, 03:08
I just received the second FN 18in CHF 1/7 barreled kit (508067) that I ordered from PSA on 10DEC. It has the FN logo on the barrel like the first and is every bit as beautiful.

You might want to keep your eyes open for this item when it next becomes available.

Just sayin'...

Forrest

kwthor
December 24, 2016, 10:06
I just received the second FN 18in CHF 1/7 barreled kit (508067) that I ordered from PSA on 10DEC. It has the FN logo on the barrel like the first and is every bit as beautiful.

You might want to keep your eyes open for this item when it next becomes available.

Just sayin'...

Forrest

SShhhhhh !
I'm on the email notification list. I made t he mistake of asking the question here and by the time I dot enough feedback they were sold out.
Still waiting. So don't broadcast this too much! :wink:

FALonious
December 24, 2016, 11:33
I just received the second FN 18in CHF 1/7 barreled kit (508067) that I ordered from PSA on 10DEC. It has the FN logo on the barrel like the first and is every bit as beautiful.Forrest

:( Mine looks fine but no markings what so ever...:cry:

ftierson
December 24, 2016, 12:49
:( Mine looks fine but no markings what so ever...:cry:

I forgot to ask my brother about how his is marked (the one he ordered about the same time as my first kit). Well, actually, I did mention it to him at the time, but he was working in Alaska and his kit was at home in Vermont and he hadn't seen it yet at the time. I forgot to ask him since he got back. I'll probably be getting the chance sometime over the next couple of days.

I know that this is somewhat irrelevant in terms of what you have, but I am kind of curious about the difference, especially in terms of ordering times...

Forrest

ftierson
December 24, 2016, 12:52
I forgot to ask my brother about how his is marked (the one he ordered about the same time as my first kit). Well, actually, I did mention it to him at the time, but he was working in Alaska and his kit was at home in Vermont and he hadn't seen it yet at the time. I forgot to ask him since he got back. I'll probably be getting the chance sometime over the next couple of days.

I know that this is somewhat irrelevant in terms of what you have, but I am kind of curious about the difference, especially in terms of ordering times...

By the way, I should probably mention again that I have a fair number of 16in and 20in FN CHF barreled rifles (originally uppers or kits from PSA), and none of them have the FN logo on the barrel.

For what it's worth...

Forrest

ftierson
January 02, 2017, 11:53
To be fair, as I've mentioned here before, I have three of the 16in Freedom Stainless barreled 1/7 mid-length kits, purchased separately in February, June and September of 2015. I have now shot two of these three rifles (the June and September ones), both of which display quite nice accuracy with absolutely no sign of any of the chamber problems that 4x401 has talked about (I have inspected and resized the cases shot in these rifles). The third rifle looks OK in the chamber, but shooting is the real tell. I'll probably get to that sometime over the next couple of months, weather permitting...

Having said this, in no way am I disputing 4x401s statements about the problems that he's seen with the SS barrels. It would be interesting to know approximately when they were shipped and whether they came from the same production lot or whether the problem with the stainless barrels is broader than that.

However, having said all this, I have also stayed away from the SS Freedom barrels since hearing of the problems that 4x401 has mentioned, figuring that, as that old saying goes, where there's smoke, there's ... well, you know the rest.

I am happy that at least two of the three I have are just fine and dandy though... :)

A quick update (although this might not be the best place for it)...

I took the 3rd of the PSA 16in 1/7 SS Freedom uppers out yesterday (mounted on an Anderson lower with standard trigger kit) and was very happy with the accuracy (shot with a Vortex Strikefire II mounted on it). And, the chamber appears to be just fine, with no signs of any problems on the LC cases (which also FL resized just fine).

So, three good out of three ain't bad... :)

Just sayin'...

Forrest