PDA

View Full Version : M1 garand prices Wow !!

TedMckay
December 08, 2016, 00:53
I am by no means an expert on garands . I do watch the prices weekly , bought and sold quite a few over the years never lost money . For the last few years I've felt a garand , a shooter is is a grand retail . One year ago I bought a nice shooter 1942 Springfield for 750.00 shot it a bit, had My fun , traded her off about 1250.00 value . I have been looking for a nice shooter grade all summer and fall and can't find one under 1300.00 what's the deal ? did they just go up in price ? I can't believe I cannot find a decent m1 WW2 era maybe arsenal rebuilt Korean era for 800-900 .

yellowhand
December 08, 2016, 01:59
Seem to be gaining in price everyday as collectors and new shooters are buying them up.
ARS rebuilt my old shooter grade to issue grade ++, nos dated barrel, etc, and was offered 1300.00 cash for it at the range last week.:uhoh:
I kept my Garand!:wink:
Have you looked at M1 Carbine prices lately, now that is truly insane!

Orlando8
December 08, 2016, 05:50
You can find good shooters on theopen market in the $950 and less. Just have to be ready to jump when they come up for sale.

ArtBanks
December 08, 2016, 06:00
I have become a fan of the CMP specials for $1030.
All reparked, new Criterion barrel and new CMP wood.
The few I have shoot great. I will be shooting one in .308 in about 5 hours.
One of the nice points about an M1 in .308 is you can seat the bullets to come close to the lans without worrying about fitting in a mag. I use a COL of 2.933 for mine and they shoot fantastic. Currently using 125 gr Sierra TMK.

Semper Fi
Art

bubbagump
December 19, 2016, 08:43
I have become a fan of the CMP specials for $1030.
All reparked, new Criterion barrel and new CMP wood.
The few I have shoot great. I will be shooting one in .308 in about 5 hours.
One of the nice points about an M1 in .308 is you can seat the bullets to come close to the lans without worrying about fitting in a mag. I use a COL of 2.933 for mine and they shoot fantastic. Currently using 125 gr Sierra TMK.

Semper Fi
Art

The CMP specials are the deal right now to be honest. And if someone is inclined towards an accurized, match grade rifle they are a great starting point. Bedded with a half-minute sight conversion, or even with a good blueprinting of the rear sight and you have a rifle that will shoot the 10 ring all day long with decent ammo. Folks need to get 'em while they can, the next price increase is gonna be a rude one.

AliYahu
December 19, 2016, 12:29
The CMP is running out. All they have available right now are 'Field Grade' - a/k/a found in a field - for $630, and 'CMP Special' that are premium used and new parts (basically remanufactured) for $1030 or $1230.
I wish they'd get some more 'Specials' in .308!
http://thecmp.org/cmp_sales/rifle_sales/m1-garand/

Eli

W.E.G.
December 19, 2016, 13:35
I can't wait for Trump to send his personal jet to Korea to pick up all the Garands that FBHO has been cock-blocking.

Near Sighted Sniper
December 19, 2016, 13:39
I am by no means an expert on garands . I do watch the prices weekly , bought and sold quite a few over the years never lost money . For the last few years I've felt a garand , a shooter is is a grand retail . One year ago I bought a nice shooter 1942 Springfield for 750.00 shot it a bit, had My fun , traded her off about 1250.00 value . I have been looking for a nice shooter grade all summer and fall and can't find one under 1300.00 what's the deal ? did they just go up in price ? I can't believe I cannot find a decent m1 WW2 era maybe arsenal rebuilt Korean era for 800-900 .

I think this might be the reason they cost so much, guys buy them cheap, have a little fun with it & then sell for a $500 profit. Everyone else see's them going for that price & now that's what they want for their M1. It's a vicious cycle.
I missed the good old days when M1's from the CMP were in the $400 range.
Ive bought a bunch & sold the ones that I didn't want usually around the $900 mark. I recently considered selling another but it is the only one I have with Lock Bar sights & cant bring myself to sell that for $900, at the same time I don't feel right asking a member for $1100 for it either. So I decided to keep it.
I will be ordering more when they have the SG's in stock again.

NFADLR
December 19, 2016, 13:49
As of the new "state of california" Corp laws the Garand is one of the only rifles that are legal in that state.

so I would bet a lot of them are headed to California lately and could be bringing the prices up.

ArtBanks
December 19, 2016, 14:06
Best deal I have found albeit a few years ago were the Service Grade Specials. Collector grade metal stuffed in a new stock. They only had them for a short time but I did get the chance to snag a few.

http://i1180.photobucket.com/albums/x413/nf1e/IMG_0395_zpsxxqchmsa.jpg (http://s1180.photobucket.com/user/nf1e/media/IMG_0395_zpsxxqchmsa.jpg.html)

TedMckay
December 19, 2016, 14:13
I think this might be the reason they cost so much, guys buy them cheap, have a little fun with it & then sell for a $500 profit. Everyone else see's them going for that price & now that's what they want for their M1. It's a vicious cycle.
Ive bought a bunch & sold the ones that I didn't want usually around the $900 mark. I recently considered selling another but it is the only one I have with Lock Bar sights & cant bring myself to sell that for $900, at the same time I don't feel right asking a member for $1100 for it either. So I decided to keep it.

I think you pretty much summed it up . Boy I wish I didn't get rid of mine . I couldn't pass it up I traded it for stg58 built on a dsa grayslake

bubbagump
December 19, 2016, 16:18
I can't wait for Trump to send his personal jet to Korea to pick up all the Garands that FBHO has been cock-blocking.

Yeah man. From what I've heard they're pretty beat up, kinda what the greek rifles were but they still ought to keep stuff alive for a few more years.

Back in the day we were buying woodless Danes for $275 as I recall and with the club discount it was more like $230 or so. I remember picking through 'em over at Anniston and deciding which ones we wanted and which we'd leave. Wound up buying about 15 or so and turning them into club guns. Half minute sights (drilled receiver mod, not that NM/2 bullcrap), douglas match profile barrels cut with a custom-designed Palma-throated PTG reamer, new wood (mostly CMP, some Boyds and Wenig) and glass bedded the actions. Shlomo doing the builds on most of 'em. Reparked everything, those are some beautiful guns. One of 'em took the first-ever modified Garand trophy at Perry back in 2009 I believe it was.

We should have bought every stinking one of those Danes they had.

b.

Hollis Wood
December 19, 2016, 18:03
What's the drilled receiver mod? Never heard of that.

bubbagump
December 19, 2016, 18:25
What's the drilled receiver mod? Never heard of that.

You take the windage knob and machine the face smooth, then mill eight small detents in it at equal intervals around the circumverence where it mates up with the receiver. On the receiver you drill a small hole for a spring and ball. This gives you an eight position 'click' arrangement on the windage knob. Couple this with a NM aperture and you have a half-minute sight setup. I'm told this is a mod that the AMU came up with back in the day.

Springfield Armory is selling this arrangement on their NM M1As instead of the traditional NM arrangement which involves a 64" pitch windage knob. The reason this is better are several but most importantly because it is next to impossible to reliably return one of the old NM sights to zero by sight alone. A full circle on an old-style NM sight only moves the sight 2 MOA and that is really too fine to be reliably seen on the stadia lines and requires a confirmation shot to be sure. Seen this too many times, a shooter comes off the line for the team match at Perry with eight or nine minutes of wind on the gun and miscounts. Was it four or was it five? The problem at Perry is you aren't gonna get a chance to confirm it. Whereas with a 32 pitch windage knob being off a revolution will show you four MOA of error and this can be easily seen via the stadia lines on the rear of the receiver.

The other advantage to this mod is it does not require $300 worth of really scarce parts to get going, you can have 1/2 minute sights for about $25 worth of parts. The drawback is you have to drill a small, very precise blind hole in the receiver itself and you have to modify the rear sight knob. Not uber difficult but not your kitchen table job either.

I've sold off all my 64 pitch NM sight sets and now have these modified sights on all my match guns. I prefer them as they are in general easier to operate and I want to be sure where my sights are.

Hollis Wood
December 19, 2016, 18:55
That's pretty interesting. Thanks for the info!

APEXgunparts
December 19, 2016, 20:12

Last I heard there were 92,000 M1 rifles that were available in Korea.
Since the resulting sale from the last auction was wrecked by a White House executive action, I suppose these M1's will have to be auctioned again.

AND, lets not forget about ALL the M1 Carbines that were also available in South Korea.....

BUT FIRST, we have to end the ban on the import of surplus goods of US origin!
I am told that could happen relatively easily, the new administration just has to want it to happen. No act of Congress required!

Richard

Orlando8
December 19, 2016, 20:18
Last I heard there were 92,000 M1 rifles that were available in Korea.
Since the resulting sale from the last auction was wrecked by a White House executive action, I suppose these M1's will have to be auctioned again.

AND, lets not forget about ALL the M1 Carbines that were also available in South Korea.....

BUT FIRST, we have to end the ban on the import of surplus goods of US origin!
I am told that could happen relatively easily, the new administration just has to want it to happen. No act of Congress required!

Richard

That is if the rifles are even in Koreas posession. Its possible they were sold to another country by now

randy762ak
December 19, 2016, 20:21

My Exact Thoughts !

OBTW My Winchester WIN-13 was $200.00 from the CMP in the mid 90's :love:

I bought an M1 from a Guy at a gun show That looked totally NEW for $550.00 when I had some used ones on my table for $425.00... Later I find it indeed is a nice one 1689 units Newer than the last officially recorded M1 Made in 1957. !

NFADLR
December 19, 2016, 20:44
Enough with the negative waves... Why don't you say something righteous and hopeful for a change ?

That is if the rifles are even in Koreas posession. Its possible they were sold to another country by now

lysanderxiii
December 19, 2016, 21:51
I'm glad I bought mine for $92 and some change way back when . . .

TedMckay
December 19, 2016, 21:57
I'm glad I bought mine for $92 and some change way back when . . .

Wanna triple your money!!! I hope I can find a 1942-1944 in good shape for a fair price .

Falcon
December 19, 2016, 22:42
I live 15 minutes from the CMP South Store and stop in every few weeks. PH68 on the CMP forum gives a weekly store inventory report. Here is last weeks...

South Store Report 12/15/2016
At opening there were 8 customers in line and the hot item is still the 1903a3 rifles:

1903a3, 10 at opening, 3 remaining when I departed at 0830. Both Remington and S-C, 650.00, good condition

1903a3 Drill, 2,

Daisy air rifle reconditioned, 1, 100.00

CMP M1 Drill, USGI wood 6, 380.00, CMP wood 1, 535.00

M1 Correct, 10, 3000.00

M1 Collector, HRA 1, 2000.00

M1C SG 6, 3035.00/ FG 2, 2236.00

M1D SG 5, 1535.00/ RG, 3, 935.00

NM 6, 2535.00

CMP Specials SA, 12, 1030.00

Bayonets, carbine 3, 105.00/ M1 full display box

Slings, full box green slings, 1907 reproductions, 10

Good luck on your searches

Source: http://forums.thecmp.org/showthread.php?t=201566

SAFN49
December 19, 2016, 22:44
Wanna triple your money!!! I hope I can find a 1942-1944 in good shape for a fair price .

I've got couple, fair price is around $1200.

Orlando8
December 20, 2016, 06:18
Enough with the negative waves... Why don't you say something righteous and hopeful for a change ?
Righteous and hopeful? How about you get back to reality
Everyone gets all excited over there rifles like a bunch of school girls. They have been talked about for the last 10 years, its nothing new. I am old enough to remember the Korean returns in the early 1980's. For the most part they were worn out junk, I would expect these to be no different
If Korea even has them they wont be priced cheaper than CMP Garands.
You guys are missing out on the best deals on Garands now at CMP and dont know it

Mark IV
December 20, 2016, 08:43
:cry:

http://i34.photobucket.com/albums/d130/connie82/garand_zpsirhd0oqb.png

TedMckay
December 20, 2016, 18:28
I picked up a very nice used copy today of m1 garand 1936 to 1957 by joe poyer and Craig Riesch. I also got the safn -49 by poyer . What amazes me is the safn-49 is signed by poyer and the m1 garand book is signed by Craig . Pretty cool got both books for 6.99 each Anyone hear named frank sell this book ? Lol

ALL FAL
December 20, 2016, 22:58
There was a guy that had some Veterans club parade rifles that needed a new home, one was 500$ the other 600, they were his personal rifles he loaned out to the club, they had a closet full of them, that was a few years ago, but I come across wanted Items, and I do NOT want to make even a thin dime off of any files member. :smile:

NFADLR
December 20, 2016, 23:21
I see that stunad phrase has been around for a while longer than I knew!

For some reason it really irks me.

:cry:

http://i34.photobucket.com/albums/d130/connie82/garand_zpsirhd0oqb.png

ArtBanks
December 21, 2016, 05:53
CMP has listed a field grade special in the last couple of days for under 900. If you are looking for a shooter I don't think you will do better than that. Receiver may be heavily pitted, but all parts are either new or reparked with new Criterion barrel and new wood.
Sucha deal!
Art

AliYahu
December 21, 2016, 08:24
CMP has listed a field grade special in the last couple of days for under 900. If you are looking for a shooter I don't think you will do better than that. Receiver may be heavily pitted, but all parts are either new or reparked with new Criterion barrel and new wood.
Sucha deal!
Art

RM1SPECIALFIELD
CMP Special FIELD GRADE (.30-06) M1 Garand. This is a completely refurbished rifle consisting of an original M1 Garand Springfield or HRA receiver, new production Criterion barrel, new production American Walnut stock and handguards, and new web sling. Receiver and most other parts are refinished USGI, but some parts may be new manufacture.
Receiver will have considerable pitting above the wood line.

$830.00
Free Shipping

They need to offer in .308!

Eli

ArtBanks
December 21, 2016, 08:39
RM1SPECIALFIELD
CMP Special FIELD GRADE (.30-06) M1 Garand. This is a completely refurbished rifle consisting of an original M1 Garand Springfield or HRA receiver, new production Criterion barrel, new production American Walnut stock and handguards, and new web sling. Receiver and most other parts are refinished USGI, but some parts may be new manufacture.

$830.00
Free Shipping

They need to offer in .308!

Eli

As has been said, " one step at a time ". Not a big deal to screw on a .308 barrel and headspace. It is nice to see entry level rifles come on line even though the price does seem a little high. But I am a dinosaur and admit it.

raubvogel
December 21, 2016, 09:18
As has been said, " one step at a time ". Not a big deal to screw on a .308 barrel and headspace. It is nice to see entry level rifles come on line even though the price does seem a little high. But I am a dinosaur and admit it.

Take a look at what prices for G43, SVT 40, C96, and even the lowly SKS were when they were introduced in the surplus market.

Supply and demand

K. Funk
December 21, 2016, 09:43
There are still deals to be had. I picked up a few M1's, mostly H&R's at auction over the past year for under 1k. There is a local auction on Jan 7 that has 2 or 3, hopefully I can get another.

krf

gordonm1
December 21, 2016, 14:18
The service grades were all good shooters back in the 90's but now I see throat erosion can be up to 5 on a service grade. I can't trust that I'd get a good shooter now so those new offerings with a new barrel seem like the way to go for a shooter.

There's a lot of current hype from election fears and the CMP getting low on guns to sell. There might be more price hikes when they run out or for gun rights issues in the future but I expect in a few years they will be a bit forgotten and stagnant and possibly even hard to sell.

I don't mind having a .30 cal semiauto to shoot though.:shades:

bubbagump
December 21, 2016, 15:01
The service grades were all good shooters back in the 90's but now I see throat erosion can be up to 5 on a service grade. I can't trust that I'd get a good shooter now so those new offerings with a new barrel seem like the way to go for a shooter.

There's a lot of current hype from election fears and the CMP getting low on guns to sell. There might be more price hikes when they run out or for gun rights issues in the future but I expect in a few years they will be a bit forgotten and stagnant and possibly even hard to sell.

I don't mind having a .30 cal semiauto to shoot though.:shades:

Art and Orlando are right, the special grades are shooters. You really can't buy a fixer-upper and DIY for less than the CMP charges for the special grade, may as well buy these and be done with it. One day, probably sooner rather than later they are gonna look like no-brainers and folks will wish they had jumped on this.

Steggo
December 21, 2016, 21:57

Pass. Hard pass.

Orlando8
December 22, 2016, 06:00
The service grades were all good shooters back in the 90's but now I see throat erosion can be up to 5 on a service grade. I

All Grades of Garands that CMP sells will have a throat erosion of less than 5 as stated on their web site except for Rack Grades which is their cheapest rifle may have over 5 .
If a rifle slips through with higher wear they will send a prepaid mailing lable for return and exchange