PDA

View Full Version : So which one should I choose

Retired Bum
December 07, 2016, 18:34
Twenty one years ago I bought a new Sig P229 chambered for the new .357 Sig round. Bought up every round of Federal ammo I could find for it. And when other ammo companies finally began producing it I bought several boxes of each brand. Bought a set of RCBS dies and a Redding Profile Crimp die. I have probably 2000 fired cases on hand. And at least 1000 rounds of loaded ammo stashed away.

So now I want an all steel single action auto pistol chambered for the .357 Sig. I have two candidates which I already own. A Browning Mark III .40 S&W High Power Standard Model with the factory fitted Millett adjustable rear sight. And a Colt Delta Elite 10mm Auto Gov't Model fitted with an LPA adjustable rear sight.

EFK to the best of my knowledge makes drop in barrels for both models. I am thinking that the Delta Elite would be the better choice. It has a superb three pound match grade trigger. It is a heavier pistol than the Mark III and recoil would be a bit less. And removing and replacing the recoil spring is most definitely easier and less of a PITA with the Colt compared to the Browning. I have to use a padded vice just to hold the slide so I can get the spring and guide back into the Browning.....

Magazines aren't a problem for either pistol. Got five factory mags for the Mark III and seven for the DE. Enough for my needs.

So which would you choose between the two? Please don't say buy a barrel for both of them. Just one is good enough for me.

And so it goes.

The Retired One

L Haney
December 07, 2016, 18:47
The Browning.

Retired Bum
December 07, 2016, 20:38
So why the Browning?

And so it goes.

The Retired One

L Haney
December 08, 2016, 06:42
Because of the lean lines of the Browning lend itself to a high speed round. The 1911 is for fat boolits lobbed like artillery.

I actually prefer artillery. But for this round, the Browning wins.

TenTea
December 08, 2016, 07:16
I'd tend toward the DE based on the reasons you cited, my fondness for 1911's with nice triggers and the coolness factor .

I don't get out much but have never seen a DE in 357 Sig, and maybe I don't pay attention to that cartridge, due to lack of experience.

That being said, there is nothing wrong with *The King of Nines* either, except yours is a forty.

MAINER
December 08, 2016, 09:07
For me, it would be the Browning, but within the criteria you have set forth, it seems to favor the DE. Best trigger, sights, ease of parts assembly, etc.
Both are top choice pistols.

Bawana jim
December 08, 2016, 12:32
I like the Colt better for the project, there are just gazillions of parts out there for 1911s. Say you want full power loads then it's easy to buy full power springs to run the gun without beating it to death. Or light springs if you want a plinker load. While the Browning is way more cool I think the Colt would be a working gun.

fnogger
December 08, 2016, 17:33
I would choose based on intended use.

Range shooting, DE.

Carry, Browning**.

Edited to add:

**Prefer to have a CZ-75 .40 S&W/.357 SIG conversion if available.

Yes a CZ type would rock

Retired Bum
December 08, 2016, 18:24
If I were going to conceal carry a .357 Sig caliber pistol then my choice would be the P229 hands down. Smaller and lighter than any all steel pistol and I like the DA/SA trigger compared to a SAO trigger.

TenTea, I agree with you that the Browning HP is the "king of the 9mm's" when it comes to a SA all steel pistol. I currently own four HP's. All Belgian made. The Mark III .40, two Mark III 9mm's, and a Mark II 7.65mm Para aka .30 Luger. But I think that the Colt DE is the correct choice for a .357 Sig conversion barrel.

The CZ-75 has been mentioned. I have a CZ-85 9mm Combat factory fitted with the LPA adjustable rear sight. Very nice pistol but it is big for a hi-cap 9mm IMHO. I have two Sig P226's and two US made Beretta 92FS's. I would choose either over the CZ due to their lighter weight.

And so it goes.

The Retired One

pl521
December 08, 2016, 18:59
Both are good but I recommend doing the conversion with the Colt Delta. My reason is I shoot better with the 1911.

yellowhand
December 08, 2016, 19:08
Follow up shots should be faster with the 1911.

All my 357 Sigs, which I daily carry are converted Glocks or sold as, 357 Glocks.

I get called upon to put horses down from time to time.
The wound cavity in a horses head from a 124 Grain JHP is simply massive.

Retired Bum
December 08, 2016, 21:50
yellowhand,

Putting down horses with a .357 Sig. I used to know a vet who back in the day shot horses that needed to be put down with a S&W Model 28 .357 Magnum. Worked every time he said....

But then he switched over to the lethal injection with whatever poison that was recommended. He told me that shooting a race horse at the track was unacceptable so he went with the poison injection.

I shot the full size Glock 31 in .357 Sig. Surprisingly the recoil wasn't that bad. And the frame didn't flex when fired like the Glock 19 I bought in 1989.

And so it goes.

The Retired One

yellowhand
December 08, 2016, 22:36
yellowhand,

Putting down horses with a .357 Sig. I used to know a vet who back in the day shot horses that needed to be put down with a S&W Model 28 .357 Magnum. Worked every time he said....

But then he switched over to the lethal injection with whatever poison that was recommended. He told me that shooting a race horse at the track was unacceptable so he went with the poison injection.

I shot the full size Glock 31 in .357 Sig. Surprisingly the recoil wasn't that bad. And the frame didn't flex when fired like the Glock 19 I bought in 1989.

And so it goes.

The Retired One

I like my Glocks in 357 Sig.
They be ugly, but they work.