PDA

View Full Version : hate you guys

Bawana jim
December 03, 2016, 19:37
You got me on that Colt 44 special and now I am hooked... bought a New Frontier NIB and New Manufacture today with a 5.5 inch barrel and it's just a beauty... Cowboy guns oh my god :bow: :shades:

Invictus77
December 03, 2016, 20:25
Hate you too...but wheel guns are pretty cool ;)

Bawana jim
December 03, 2016, 20:28
Hate you too...but wheel guns are pretty cool ;)

Hate keeps you warm inside... I am so happy I found this Colt...:cool:

Invictus77
December 03, 2016, 20:42
I am so happy I found this Colt...:cool:

I'm happy for you :cheers:

Bawana jim
December 03, 2016, 20:56
I'm happy for you :cheers:

Colts are hard to find in my area, about the only way to get a new one is off gun broker. Colt uses stocking dealers and still very few of the SAA reach oregon. To find a NIB NF in oregon right from the factory just doesn't happen. Two Cabellas and two Sportsmans ware house and a really big gunshow yet nobody has the SAA of brand new manufacture. Add in the short barrel and the odds are unbelievable that I found one...

chino*74
December 03, 2016, 22:56
Good for U BJ! I got my 2 Uberti's a 5.5 inch & a 4.5 inch., I can tell U like Colts better :}

NFADLR
December 03, 2016, 23:15
44 special ammo is getting real hard to source these days.

Anyone have an online source ?

Bawana jim
December 04, 2016, 09:11
I load my own but these guys have factory...

http://www.grafs.com/retail/catalog/category/categoryId/49?

NFADLR
December 04, 2016, 10:22
Thanks for the link BJ.

MAINER
December 04, 2016, 10:36
Well dang BJ, here I was feeling pretty good about my new 44 Spec. Cimarron and you come here showing off a Colt, and a New Frontier at that. :redface:

I'd post that "This post worthless without pics" smillie, but I don't want to see the dang ole thing anyways. :tongue:

As nice as the Colt is however, Uberti/Cimarron/Taylor have really upped the quality and fitting of the spaghetti guns. I even own a Uberti made BP sixshooter that Colt saw fit to put their name on. :smile:

44 Special ammo or brass isn't exactly plentiful hereabouts either. I resorted to GB to pick up another 100 once fired cases. Six of those cases looked kind of funny and my opinion is that they were mistakenly fired in a .45 Colt. Not something I am going to try, but do wonder what kind of accuracy was obtained?

Congrats on your NIB Thumbbuster BJ, haven't seen a new Colt SA around here in a decade or so either. Enjoy! :shades:

Bawana jim
December 04, 2016, 10:52
Well dang BJ, here I was feeling pretty good about my new 44 Spec. Cimarron and you come here showing off a Colt, and a New Frontier at that. :redface:

I'd post that "This post worthless without pics" smillie, but I don't want to see the dang ole thing anyways. :tongue:

As nice as the Colt is however, Uberti/Cimarron/Taylor have really upped the quality and fitting of the spaghetti guns. I even own a Uberti made BP sixshooter that Colt saw fit to put their name on. :smile:

44 Special ammo or brass isn't exactly plentiful hereabouts either. I resorted to GB to pick up another 100 once fired cases. Six of those cases looked kind of funny and my opinion is that they were mistakenly fired in a .45 Colt. Not something I am going to try, but do wonder what kind of accuracy was obtained?

Congrats on your NIB Thumbbuster BJ, haven't seen a new Colt SA around here in a decade or so either. Enjoy! :shades:

I bought starline from these guys...

http://www.grafs.com/retail/catalog/category/categoryId/530?

SPEEDGUNNER
December 04, 2016, 11:13
Speaking of cowboy guns, any cheap resource for .45LC?

BUFF
December 04, 2016, 11:26
Congrats! One of the last guns I will sell is my Colt NF .44 Special. 4-3/4 inch with a .44-40 extra cylinder I had Colt fit to it. I found mine in in 2001 when a local dealer was thinning his personal guns to care for one of his kid's medical bills. They are beautiful handguns. SAA's are one of those guns you can really enjoy even without ammunition.

Bawana jim
December 04, 2016, 11:46
That leaf spring makes the hammer drop so controlable... Ruger shoots good but the coil mainspring hits really hard and with a short barrel it throws off the sight picture. Those leaf spring Colts are just a pleasure and the tick of the hammer drop makes them easy to shoot good. Just like the leaf spring Smiths, them guns sure shoot good.

Genetically Swiss
December 04, 2016, 11:56
I love revolvers. :bow:

GS

D P Six
December 04, 2016, 14:23
Had a Colt SAA mojo for many years. I have been detoxed and currently am in Colt remission. But the lure of Colt color case hardening is seductive and hard to resist and falling off the wagon can happen at any time.

Bawana jim
December 04, 2016, 14:32
C...O...L...T four clicks...:whistling:

catmguy445
December 04, 2016, 16:36

Worse comes to worse, take some .44 Mag brass and trim it to .44 Spl length. You should be able to get .44 Mag brass just about anywhere.

Retired Bum
December 04, 2016, 16:41
You also chamber and shoot the .44 S&W Russian round in your .44 Colt New Frontier. It is the ancestor of the .44 Spl and .44 Mag. Case length is .970 inch. I have a few boxes of the Fiocchi factory loads. A 246 grain RNL which is the standard bullet for the .44 Special. I had a gunsmith grind down a set of Lee .44 Special dies so I could seat and crimp the 240 grain LSWC I cast.

And so it goes.

The Retired One

BUFF
December 04, 2016, 18:00
Starline began making .44 Special brass a couple of years ago. I tried out 100 pieces first. It is excellent, priced like their other handgun brass and now is readily available, so no need to bother shortening Magnums.

Been reloading .44 Special since about 1975-76. Brass was then hard to find, and most of mine was from loaded factory ammo I shot. R-P brass was crap but W-W and Federal was great and rarely wore out or failed. I bought 1,000 new Starline cases last year I haven't touched to add to the stash of old W-W and FC, so even though I shoot them way more than anything else but .45 ACP, I am set for life.

Retired Bum
December 04, 2016, 22:55
BUFF,

I agree with your assessment of the R-P .44 Special cases. I had 200 of them that I found along with the empty boxes at my club range. I tumbled them and then ran them through my RCBS Carbide sizing die. I found that the primer pockets were a bit out of spec debt wise. I could not seat Winchester large pistol primers even with the base of the case without slightly crushing them. So I gave them to a pal of mine who used Remington primers.

I use W-W and FC brass and I have a quantity of PMC as well. The PMC seems to be good and has held up to several reloads so far. I don't hotrod the .44 Special round and stick to factory level loads. However, I do have some Corbon 165 grain JHP loads at least 20 years old and these are definitely on the warm side. This load chrono's at 1134 fps out of the three inch barrel of my S&W M696. It does 1243 fps out of my M24 6.5 inch. I don't know if I would want to shoot this load out of a Charter Arms Bulldog.

And so it goes.

The Retired One

MAINER
December 05, 2016, 09:37
Speaking of cowboy guns, any cheap resource for .45LC?

Guns, brass or ammo?

Bawana jim
December 05, 2016, 12:20
Gonna name her Charlene after a beautiful woman I know. Looks good with nice curves and lines and feels good in the hand so ya Charlene is going to work out...:)

Col. Bat Guano
December 06, 2016, 00:42
Gonna name her Charlene after a beautiful woman I know. Looks good with nice curves and lines and feels good in the hand so ya Charlene is going to work out...:)

You're naming your weapon Charlene ... hmmm.

https://nonamemovieblog.files.wordpress.com/2012/05/fmj-school.jpg

Your real first name doesn't happen to be Leonard, does it?

Bawana jim
December 06, 2016, 01:03
I do like donuts ....:bow:

Sagerider
December 06, 2016, 10:15
The .44 Special is special, big hole but not overpowering. Fun to shoot, accurate and relatively cheap to shoot if you reload. However I am not a big fan of cowboy six shooters. They take too long to load and unload. Due to my OCD or whatever they call being distracted I loose interest rather quickly if I have to fiddle with things. I prefer top breaks or swing outs with moon clips much better in .45 acp flavor.

Do I smell donuts -------?

Bawana jim
December 06, 2016, 11:29
The .44 Special is special, big hole but not overpowering. Fun to shoot, accurate and relatively cheap to shoot if you reload. However I am not a big fan of cowboy six shooters. They take too long to load and unload. Due to my OCD or whatever they call being distracted I loose interest rather quickly if I have to fiddle with things. I prefer top breaks or swing outs with moon clips much better in .45 acp flavor.

Do I smell donuts -------?

:D ya them cowboy guns are slow to load but then that's why you buy two of them...:wink:

TenTea
December 06, 2016, 13:32
Personally, I make an effort to despise rather than hate. :D

In regard to revolvers, there are a few I may despise, but I tend toward S&W's of the 1950's for some reason.

Like many before me, forty five is my favorite caliber in handguns.

Bawana jim
December 06, 2016, 13:58
Personally, I make an effort to despise rather than hate. :D

In regard to revolvers, there are a few I may despise, but I tend toward S&W's of the 1950's for some reason.

Like many before me, forty five is my favorite caliber in handguns.

Here is a nice set of 45s for you..:biggrin:

http://www.gunbroker.com/item/603798699

sharkey
December 06, 2016, 16:15

http://palmettostatearmory.com/hsm-44-special-240gr-lswc-cowboy-action-hsm-44s-1-n.html

Nuttz
December 06, 2016, 16:19
http://www.sgammo.com/catalog/pistol-ammo-sale/44-special-ammo