PDA

View Full Version : Question on DPMS LR308

apache c-10
December 02, 2016, 02:07
Hello, I've looked everywhere I can think of and found nothing. I'm looking for a Magpul style handguard prefferably in fde color and pistol grip and stock for DPMS LR308 rifle, can't seem to find much of any accessories for this rifle. I'd appreciate any leads, I'm beginning to think of selling it, seems like since they came out with the newer model, there's nothing out there for this one. Thanks for any help.

badzero
December 02, 2016, 08:19
I'm pretty sure ar15 parts will fit.

2barearms
December 02, 2016, 08:24
Does it have a front sight tower and delta ring like a regular AR?

richbug
December 02, 2016, 10:34
On a heavy barrel, the heat shields will be tight on the barrel.

W.E.G.
December 02, 2016, 11:35
Is this a question directed to utility (what's wrong with the existing handguards?), or directed to dress-up (what is your plan for when Magpul switches to a new fanboi pattern?).

apache c-10
December 04, 2016, 00:28
It has the delta ring and the short fat round factory handguards, I just don't care for them and want to change all the furniture to fde color. I think it does have a heavy barrel, no front sight, just the gas block with short rail on it. So will standard AR15 handguards fit? I saw another thread here I think is a S&W M&P 10 with the parts I would like to put on mine. Thanks for any help. By the way what the hell is the fanboi pattern?

fmj_shooter
December 04, 2016, 00:57
Should fit. Barrel nut splines are same dimensions as an AR 15 barrel nut. Gas system length is the same. DPMS carbine receiver extensions fit standard carbine stocks and the pistol grip should be no problem.

fmj_shooter
December 04, 2016, 01:00
Fanboi pattern as in Magpul handguards do not offer much functional advantage other than make you look muy sexy at the range. The MLok handguards aren't bad as they allow you to attach other junk one might need.

kotengu
December 04, 2016, 08:55
My god people - he didn't ask your opinion on his handguard, he just asked if they would fit. If you don't need freefloat, Magpul is a good product at a good price, made in the USA, and you can attach things to it just fine if you want.

And it's HIS rifle - he's perfectly allowed to put whatever handguards on it that he wants for any reason, even if it's just to match his wife's purse.

Go buy the AR15 handguard, and it should fit. And if it doesn't, you're not out much. Either sell it as new or modify to fit.

bigsky
December 04, 2016, 14:31
the magpul buttstock I used on my gen 1 dpms lr308 is the standard magpul moe stock, the dpms buffer on mine was a mil spec tube, so i bought the mil spec stock.
The magpul grip I boought was the "MIAD® GEN 1.1 Grip Kit – TYPE 2
MAG521"..
Notice it says "gen 1.1, """"TYPE 2""".....its the one designed for the lr308 which has a different backstrap then an m4...fits great..

Not sure what model lr308 you have, I have the oracle which has a 16" heavy barrel under the forearm, think it measures .920 or .970, cant remember....according to magpul on the phone, yes the standard magpul will fit,,,,kind of,,,,due to the heavy barrel, may have to do some trimming...Thats the best guarantee I could get from them....I changed mine all around with a lighter barrel and free float tube so cant attest to how the magpul forearm will actually fit.

NOT SURE OF THESE DATES LISTED BELOW, THEY ARE APPROXIMATE,!!!!! So are the dimensions, but you will get the idea.

The gen 1 lr308 has tons of aftermarket availability, thats rifles built(ithink) from 2009 and up.
You need to understand the differences between the original dpms,up to about 2009, the gen 1 2009 and still going and the gen 2 2014 and still going.
If you have an older original dpms you will have a "high profile" receiver, if you have a gen1 you will have a "low profile " receiver.
The 308 rifles of all manufactures are very confusing to learn, the dpms models, once learned are quite simple and have a BIG following in the after market...Just determine which rifle you have..

Up to 2009= high profile "upper" receiver= tang over the top of the charging handle measures around .210-.220 thick.....
Gen 1= 2009 and forward= low profile "upper" receiver= tang over the top of the charging handle measures around .150" thick.
Gen 2= 2014 and up= everything changes, completely different receivers, different barrel extension, barrel nut threads, all of it, almost know aftermarket products out yet, just a few..

If you have a gen 1, theres lots of stuff, have to learn what you have.
Have fun..

ByronF
December 04, 2016, 14:32
I put magpul parts on my Palmetto AR10. Handguard liner is tight over the barrel. Trimmed top back part of handguard so it would close together. Otherwise the liner spreads out and the twi halves dont close together right

GI type stock, grip, and handguard are all crap. The fat new GI type handguards are like holding 4" sewer pipe. Magpul extend up beside gas block, providing more reach for long arms. Magpul buttstock doesnt rattle, and grip fills my hand.

W.E.G.
December 04, 2016, 15:24
Well, he coooooullld put TAPCO or Century furniture on it if he wanted to.

Indeed it is his rifle.

But, this is the FAL Files, so certain things are going to happen when that happens.

kotengu
December 04, 2016, 16:07
But, this is the FAL Files, so certain things are going to happen when that happens.

True, and coming to the FAL Files asking about an AR10 is like asking your wife what she thinks of your girlfriend's new pants. But he's new, so I'm trying to be a LITTLE nice. :wink:

Fn/form
December 04, 2016, 17:37
Be advised: the newer slim Magpul SL line seems to be made for the circular handguard cap only. I found out the hard way.

The regular, non-SL Magpul handguards fit triangular caps.

W.E.G.
December 04, 2016, 17:59
With enough dremel, PVC, JB-Weld, and bedliner, I guaran-damn-tee I can turn a fleshlight into a disco ball.

So fuckyeah, if you want the thing on your gun, there IS a way.

Invictus77
December 04, 2016, 18:09
With enough dremel, PVC, JB-Weld, and bedliner, I guaran-damn-tee I can turn a fleshlight into a disco ball.

I'm not sure if it was love, hate, respect, disgust, or fear......but that one sent a shiver down my spine :eek:

Fn/form
December 04, 2016, 19:47

You might be a True Master.

Posers end up making a chittychitty Camaro, 'cept the fleshlight content makes it go chittychittyBANGBANG.

I have a pinned muzzle device + pinned FSB. Bought a round handguard cap, was going to WECSOG it, but it wasn't worth the squeeze. The IWC light mount (http://www.impactweaponscomponents.com/product/smc-light-mount-1-00/) is teats tho.

ByronF
December 04, 2016, 19:56

Square peg, getcher ass inna dat round hole... Or else...

raubvogel
December 06, 2016, 21:48

Yet another great signature quote

SAFN49
December 06, 2016, 22:22

I had to look up what a fleshlight was....... So if you know what one is, and how to turn it into a disco ball, more power to you. I have a don't ask don't tell, and I don't fuking want to know policy.

apache c-10
December 07, 2016, 00:28
Hello, Thanks for all the info and advice. I knew the butt stock would fit, but thought the for ends were different, it does have the 16" heavy barrel. I did not know there were two different early models, probably why my grip doesn't fit tight up against my lower, was on there when I got it. So I guess I'll go with the mag pul and make'r fit, I got some big hammers. And if you're really good, mount that fleshlight on a picatinny rail, bet nobody else will have one.😜

badzero
December 07, 2016, 00:55
Scheels is clearancing out there gen one dpms free float quad rails. They have them marked down to $99. Just tossing it out there if anyone is interested.

55bird
December 16, 2016, 17:57
I nominate this post as required reading.

hueyville
December 16, 2016, 22:53
Please skip over the part of my recent post in another thread about FDE rifles. Right on edge of trading a $500 blem parts rifle in FDE for an original Colt SP1 just because some guy has a bug up his butt wanting an FDE AR 15. He keeps looking at LGS at almost 2k Daniel Defense rifles in FDE and they want some cash to trade. I am more than happy to swap a pile of parts for a pre 81 Colt. Here in the south entire world is green even mostly in winter. He is scared to sell on Gunbroker and I am only game he has found with 18" Wylde in FDE and willing to trade even. Only FDE rifles I own are because found enough parts on the cheap to tolerate a beige rifle. I do have a bottle of air dry Cerakote and heat cure in FDE along with O.D. Green just for when have half a beige or green rifle.

Always good to have a couple of each in the trade pile. If lived in the desert would like FDE but live in the SE Jungle. Every time take my billet SWAT Firearms 20" HBar in O.D. to range it draws a crowd. FDE rifles seem to draw fly bugs too. Why not squirt your existing parts if just need a color change? Blows my mind that FDE parts usually carry a premium on price. Apparently Henry Ford was wrong or its not an evil rifle if another color than black.