PDA

View Full Version : Norinco/Polytech

michael_g927
November 29, 2016, 10:07
I have heard that these are real forged recievers and that they are as close to USGI as one can get. That these are an awesome value.
Then I have also heard that these are made poorly from soft or non heat treated materials and stay away from them. I have found no proof of this. I also heard this about their 1911s and today we are seeing that these pistols are very good and even desirable.
Does anyone here have any experience with these rifles?

raubvogel
November 29, 2016, 10:27
I can't offer much help but suggest to ask in a Canadian gun enthusiast site as both are sold there (no import bans).

ArtBanks
November 29, 2016, 12:34
Don't listen to the scuttle butt about them being bad. Just a little rumor started years ago by jealousy.
I own both the M-14 and 1911 and have for years with no problems at all.
I think the 1911 was right around $200. new and the M-14 was about $300.
Too bad we can't get them imported again. They are great firearms.

pre1989
November 29, 2016, 20:06
Good guns ...Just check the bolt cap and you are good to go ..I have long wanted one but people seem to think they need to price them at Springfiled pricing not what they should be

Up north they are like 300-500 bucks all day long but here most people want 900-1k now ..And for that people just get a M1A

Jarhead504
November 29, 2016, 22:52
If Art Banks gives it the "good to go" for an M-14 clone, you can bet your butt it is Good To Go.

Art doesn't know this yet, but after I get my next M-14 clone receivers, I'm heading to Connecticut to have him put the barrels on them. I have three kits and he will get them fully functional.

I bought a Polytech in August of 2005 for $650 and had to wait until after the power came on the gun shop after Katrina to pick it up a month later. It has an American after-market stock on it that was improperly installed which kept the mags form functioning properly BUT the thing shoots as good as any S.A.,INC piece I have ever seen/shot/owned. I had a local gunsmith put an H&R bolt in it, but haven't shot it since the change. I need to have it refinished as i have been polishing the machine marks on it (a bad habit) both on the inside and outside. Yeah it's a bad habit but i HATE machine marks on a piece. They look so sloppy and unfinished as if the manufacturer didn't give a fudge. You have to be careful when you do this so as not to cut into the case hardening. Still, I tried to take as many out of it as possible.

If you can find a Polytech for around $800 you should consider it as it is a lot of rifle for the money although they could use a little work, some more thatn others.

Jarhead

Oxmix
November 29, 2016, 23:58
I have heard that these are real forged recievers and that they are as close to USGI as one can get. That these are an awesome value.
Then I have also heard that these are made poorly from soft or non heat treated materials and stay away from them. I have found no proof of this. I also heard this about their 1911s and today we are seeing that these pistols are very good and even desirable.
Does anyone here have any experience with these rifles?

The receivers are very good. The bolts are soft. The good news is that a US bolt can be used after making some modifications to the receiver and barrel. The barrels and op rods are good. The trigger groups and sights aren't great.

I've been waiting for someone to melonite treat a Chinese bolt and report if it can improve the hardness to that of a US manufactured bolt.

Douglas Wozny
November 30, 2016, 08:08
I can't offer much help but suggest to ask in a Canadian gun enthusiast site as both are sold there (no import bans).

As Raubvogel said go to the Main Battle Rifle forum on the Canadian Gun Nutz site. There are so many Chinese M14 clones on that forum you would think you are in Beijing.

Mark IV
November 30, 2016, 08:19
Friend of mine had one because it was forged, but (and this is him describing it to me) the heat treat process they used wasn't that great, so he had is treated here. Ran like a champ.

01BIRDDOG
November 30, 2016, 08:45
If Art Banks gives it the "good to go" for an M-14 clone, you can bet your butt ii is Good To Go.

Art doesn't know this yet, but after I get my next M-14 clone receivers, I'm heading to Connecticut to have him put the barrels on them. I have three kits and he will get them fully functional.

I bought a Polytech in August of 2005 for $650 and had to wait until after the power came on the gun shop after Katrina to pick it up a month later. It has an American after-market stock on it that was improperly installed which kept the mags form functioning properly BUT the thing shoots as good as any S.A.,INC piece I have ever seen/shot/owned. I had a local gunsmith put an H&R bolt in it, but haven't shot it since the change. I need to have it refinished as i have been polishing the machine marks on it (a bad habit) both on the inside and outside. Yeah it's a bad habit but i HATE machine marks on a piece. They look so sloppy and unfinished as if the manufacturer didn't give a fudge. You have to be careful when you do this so as not to cut into the case hardening. Still, I tried to take as many out of it as possible.

If you can find a Polytech for around $800 you should consider it as it is a lot of rifle for the money although they could use a little work, some more thatn others.

Jarhead

Careful now.............His head is so big now he has a hard time finding Marine covers large enough to fit him.

I agree that his knowledge on these fine rifles is the gospel. Better listen to him.

ArtBanks
November 30, 2016, 09:42
Careful now.............His head is so big now he has a hard time finding Marine covers large enough to fit him.

I agree that his knowledge on these fine rifles is the gospel. Better listen to him.

Went to spandex covers 40 years ago just for that reason.
We do get deflated upon occasion.
Thanks guys.

Parga
November 30, 2016, 13:22
All the Norinco and Poly Tech M14 type rifles I've ever had have been great. I still have a heel marked Poly that I fit a USGI bolt to and a side side marked I'm in the process of rebuilding

baker72
November 30, 2016, 19:12
Over the years ive own six of them never had problem the receivers are super close to usgi spec on some later rifles soft bolts issues happened, but warbird will install a usgi bolt for a good price

barrels are chrome lined and gas system are good, I always changed out the trigger groups as it easy to do and I like usgi trigger group better love heel marked polys are my fav and the change out the stock

great great rifles

rajah
December 02, 2016, 01:23
I've owned two, and still have this one. It is a shooting machine, accurate and reliable. It works as well as the all GI parts SAI M1A that I had and gave to my son to get him started shooting .30 rifles. Only thing replaced on this one is the furniture with USGI and the fake flash hider with an SAI muzzle brake to comply with CA rules.

http://i238.photobucket.com/albums/ff237/smle-man/IMG_0006_zpsrg8dmviw.jpg

michael_g927
December 28, 2016, 11:24
Thanks for the input guys!