PDA

View Full Version : Century M76 with problems

apache c-10
November 21, 2016, 12:32
I need some advice, and to find a reputable person who works on these rifles. I bought this rifle on GB a while back and got a real lemon, should have done my homework on these first. When I first fired it, it would not feed unless I held up on the mag, then when it did function it would tear chunks out of the case rims and totally destroy the brass. I pretty much resolved the problem with the brass damage and feeding problems. The gas adjustment was on the 3 setting and froze up, I removed it and freed it up and set it on 1 which greatly reduced the damage. Then I found a nice replacement mag catch that is file to fit, that solved the feeding / mag problem. The most serious problem I need advice on is the excess headspace, it swallows a field gauge with no problem. I'm debating on buying a new green mountain barrel, or getting mine set back, I really like the idea of the chrome lined bore on the green mountain barrel, but need to find out the cost to install. Also I can't find anyone willing to work on it. I was referred to a guy in the NW, but get no answer on phone and doesn't return messages. I'd appreciate any help on this. Thanks in advance.

chino*74
November 21, 2016, 20:35
So this is with the original barrel from Century? Contact them., I have no idea if they will do anything about it but I would at least call em. I think some had original barrels as builds some GM barrels. I wouldn't get too hung up on chrome lined either way.

U can find a good smith & ship it if U decide to go that route.

apache c-10
November 22, 2016, 03:46
So this is with the original barrel from Century? Contact them., I have no idea if they will do anything about it but I would at least call em. I think some had original barrels as builds some GM barrels. I wouldn't get too hung up on chrome lined either way.

U can find a good smith & ship it if U decide to go that route.

Yes it's the original barrel from Century, I called them first, they won't touch it. Then referred me to a guy in Vermont. I called him, and he said he used to work for them. Also called AWO, they also told me they won't touch any Century guns. So i still need a reference to someone good at working on these rifles. I learned a hard lesson on this junk, next time I'll do my research before buying a gun I'm not familiar with.

chino*74
November 22, 2016, 09:47
Gun Plumber here has a good rep & could likely do the work if he was willing to do so but I am not going to speak for him. U can contact him here on the boards.

Your other option would be to sell as is with full disclosure & get something else unless U really like this rifle, I know U already did a fair amt. of work. Just do UR cost / benefit, if it is worth it to U then find a good gun smith & ship it to them.