PDA

View Full Version : question about "Ballester-Molina" pistol

grumpy1
November 21, 2016, 11:02
I got a friend that just got one of these pistols, serial # is 14,4xx. Everything looks original on the pistol with every thing matching. By serial number it was made in 1942, for the British.

The safety doesn't engauge fully and if the trigger is pulled and then the safety dropped the hammer falls. If the hammer is thumbed back fully it will let the safety fully engauge and will work fine.

Does anyone know anything about this pistol, and what could be causing the hammer dropping problem?

AliYahu
November 21, 2016, 13:27
I got a friend that just got one of these pistols, serial # is 14,4xx. Everything looks original on the pistol with every thing matching. By serial number it was made in 1942, for the British.

The safety doesn't engauge fully and if the trigger is pulled and then the safety dropped the hammer falls. If the hammer is thumbed back fully it will let the safety fully engauge and will work fine.

Does anyone know anything about this pistol, and what could be causing the hammer dropping problem?

Soft steel, a problem on a lot of Argentine pistols. Find a competent gunsmith familiar with the Ballesters!

Eli

grumpy1
November 21, 2016, 18:24
Find a competent gunsmith familiar with the Ballesters!

Eli[/QUOTE]

There in lies the problem, finding a gunsmith that knows about them! You wouldn't happen to know of one would you?

AliYahu
November 22, 2016, 00:38
Find a competent gunsmith familiar with the Ballesters!

Eli

There in lies the problem, finding a gunsmith that knows about them! You wouldn't happen to know of one would you?[/QUOTE]

I wish I did - I prefer the cool old stuff like these to the CNC-machined clones coming off the line today.
I want to say the mechanism is similar to a Star or something, there was an article back in the 1990s detailing building a 'race gun' out of a Ballester-Molina.

Eli

grumpy1
November 22, 2016, 11:00
Yeah, the information I've found on the Internet hasn't been consistent. While I haven't pulled it apart it looks like it's main spring is a coil type like on a Hi Power but it may have a flat main spring. There are a lot of parts that look like they are scaled up from a Colt Government 380 Auto.

That artical would be an interesting read.

catmguy445
December 04, 2016, 17:59
Okay, it's a bit off topic, but it does concern Ballester-Molina. I found one at a gun show a few years ago that was in really good shape and had a decent price on it. After a bit of the standard gun show haggling, I wound up buying the gun. This is where it gets a little strange. The gun appears to have been made for the Argentine Air Force, and as near as I can tell, the serial number is 14. No zeroes in front of the number, no letters, just the number 14.

I'm not really a dedicated Ballester-Molina collector and don't have a lot of information about them or any sources for information. Anybody out there know anything about Argentine Air Force issue Ballester-Molinas?

grumpy1
December 05, 2016, 00:14
From what I have found is that they were used by just about every country in central and South America. I don't know for sure that the argentine Air Force but it is more than like they did use them. From what I found is that they were made from about 1938 until about 1975ish. Also serial numbers are all over the place from what I have found, from what I have found is that for each new contract they would start again at 1. But all of this has been from the internet so take it with a grain of salt.

Texas Jaguar
December 05, 2016, 00:59
There is a rumor the Ballesters were made from steel salvaged from the wreck of the Graf Spee. She was a German "Pocket Battleship" scuttled by her crew to prevent her from falling into British hands.

Something about high quality German steel and all that. I don't believe a word of it but it is an interesting yarn.

cwo4uscgret
December 10, 2016, 23:43
Grumpy1 if there is a B in front of the serial number that would be a huge indicator of a British Ballester Molina.

It is just a rumor about the use of the Graf Spee's steel.