PDA

View Full Version : Need advice on a upper

Guy-epic
November 20, 2016, 15:19
So I don't have a AR15, I really have never wanted one, but I have the chance to do a 80% lower for free and I can't pass up free. I want a very basic light weight upper in 223/556 with no sights as I will just put a red dot and back up sights on it. I don't want a foreword assist as I think they are stupid, I may not own a AR15 but I have shot a few thousand round thru them and I have never used the stupid add on. I want a pencil barrel as I am not trying to be a sniper with it I want it very light and minimalist for sure. 16" is perfect for my needs. And I want it to be a reliable set up. No plastic parts, mil spec perfered as I want to be able to easily change parts later if needed. So as there are 100,000 different AR's what is what? I don't have the patience to try and figure out who is being honest in reviews as every review says that the one they are reviewing is the best? Ugh please just tell what to buy thanks

mouthpiece
November 20, 2016, 15:49
Aero has uppers without fwd assist shell jammer. I have used a couple.
Daniel Defense makes awesome 16" pencil weight barrels, Mine is midgas and it runs great and soft shooting.
BCM also makes great barrels.
I usually use Colt BCG's.
Pick your furniture, not sure how you won't have any plastic on it unless you buy wood.
Get a CMMG lpk and you should be close to a complete gun.

I put these together
http://i66.tinypic.com/260s8z9.jpg

meltblown
November 20, 2016, 16:10
Yeah, fun as hell to shoot the x39. I recently decide to get the 20 round mags. Mine's just a Magpul HGs and stuff.

As far as the OP. Decide on the gas system. Problem with minimalist is that float tubes and stuff start making it non minimalist and adds weight.

W.E.G.
November 20, 2016, 17:36
Why are there so many threads on the internet where the OP wants an AR with a short gas system, and that is so lightweight that it is probably going to malfunction due to issues relating to inconsistent recoil?

If you are really worried about weight, carry a few less rounds of ammo, and aim better.

Smart money is on an already-built upper with the damn conventional front sight stuck out there. You can dremel it off, or change the gas block even, if the sight of the sight offends you.

Then slap that already-built upper on your pet lower.

Every vendor and their brother will be selling already-built uppers for 10% off regular price on Black Friday.

Guy-epic
November 20, 2016, 18:18
As far as plastic I didn't want a plastic internal parts, I don't mind a plastic stock in fact for weight that was my intent. Just that I see guys are doing plastic lowers and uppers. I also just wanted a minimalist rifle hence no foreword assist. I just want a reliable Plinker so I Can use all my mags for my FNC and Sig 556 for another rifle. The guy at work is a engineer and a master machinest. I like the stuff he has done, but he is really into long range shooting, and it's just not what I want from a AR build.

Bladewurk
November 20, 2016, 18:34
Anderson makes a great Slickside Flattop receiver that's selling for $39. Right now, slap a Ballistic Advantage or Faxon barrel group on and you have a nice lightweight AR.

http://www.aimsurplus.com/product.aspx?item=XANA3LWT

This is quality barrels, you can buy with installed AFrame or ready for Float tube..
http://ballisticadvantage.com/16-inch-556-gov-pencil-midlength-cmv-modern-barrel.html
if you want a blaster just buy a Radical Firearms or Palmetto complete upper.

Gunslinger_Rex
November 20, 2016, 19:14
I was looking for the exact things you were to build a lightweight for my wife. My list of parts for the upper build is below.

Aero populated slick side upper
Faxon Pencil 16" 1-8 twist (19 ounces)
.625 low pro aluminum gas block
Mid-length gas tube
ALG Defense EMR V1 MLOK 13" (10.27 ounces)
A2 flashider

On a New Frontier polymer lower, the complete rifle with PA Microdot optic weighs 5lb 1oz empty. A GI mag with 30 XM193s brings the weight to just under 6lbs, and it's run like a champ since day 1.

mouthpiece
November 20, 2016, 19:56
Andersons slickside upper has been out of stock for over 6 months.
https://www.andersonrifles.com/product/upper-receiver-with-no-forward-assist-but-has-ejection-port-cover/

I would stay far away from Radical firearms, long history of problems and little to no customer service.

Guy-epic
November 20, 2016, 20:27
Andersons slickside upper has been out of stock for over 6 months.
https://www.andersonrifles.com/product/upper-receiver-with-no-forward-assist-but-has-ejection-port-cover/

I would stay far away from Radical firearms, long history of problems and little to no customer service.

I was thinking about Aero? The guy at work loves there stuff, thoughts?

Fn/form
November 20, 2016, 20:32
BCM lightweight 16" upper. Remember that some rail systems are comparable in weight to regular handguards. If you're serious about weight go 14.5" pinned. Recoil impulse on light rifles w/standard parts can be surprisingly sharp, esp carbine gas. I've got one now that's getting some taming treatment.

Don't worry about forward assist. Ain't going to hurt you and will limit your KISS choices.

Cheap lowers usually means substandard triggers and furniture and maybe other pieces. Tried that route recently, have replaced nearl all important parts and some small ones.

Hey, there's that Springfield Saint.

mouthpiece
November 20, 2016, 22:28
I was thinking about Aero? The guy at work loves there stuff, thoughts?

I've used several of their slickside uppers and like them.
I haven't heard of any problems with Aero.

deimos22
November 21, 2016, 08:13
Aero has uppers without fwd assist shell jammer. I have used a couple.
Daniel Defense makes awesome 16" pencil weight barrels, Mine is midgas and it runs great and soft shooting.
BCM also makes great barrels.
I usually use Colt BCG's.
Pick your furniture, not sure how you won't have any plastic on it unless you buy wood.
Get a CMMG lpk and you should be close to a complete gun.

I put these together
http://i66.tinypic.com/260s8z9.jpg

really nice work, very good.

hueyville
November 21, 2016, 09:54
Why are there so many threads on the internet where the OP wants an AR with a short gas system, and that is so lightweight that it is probably going to malfunction due to issues relating to inconsistent recoil?

If you are really worried about weight, carry a few less rounds of ammo, and aim better.

Smart money is on an already-built upper with the damn conventional front sight stuck out there. You can dremel it off, or change the gas block even, if the sight of the sight offends you.

Then slap that already-built upper on your pet lower.

Every vendor and their brother will be selling already-built uppers for 10% off regular price on Black Friday.

Screw short gas and pencil barrels. Except for some original Colt SP1's with factory skinny barrel don't ever buy one of the overheating little lightweight things. I don't understand whats up with "lightweight AR 15" concept. Pick up an FAL, M1a, HK91, etc and all AR 15's become lightweight. An average run of the mill AR weighs seven pounds. Without much effort can get into the six pound range and if want to triple the cost of your build can find five pound range or savings of about what one loaded magazine weighs... If want lightweight, run 20 round magazines instead of 30. There is your lightweight rifle just changing magazines.

Get a decent carbine to rifle length gas, 16" M4 profile barrel with 1:7 or 1:8 twist. The extra four ounces will do more for the rifle than the extra weight will hurt you. From Palmetto with f marked front sight tower already installed plus delta ring and barrel nut it's $149 with carbine gas. Same barrel stripped is $99 and promise its more than worth the extra $50 than buying all those extra parts and installing correctly. Cold hammer forged with mid gas and same options is $299 and if going to be a lifetime rifle worth the extra.

Unless find some $49 bargains never purchase a short gas gun except if building an SBR then have to add adjustible gas to tune it properly which is another ball of wax. Longer the gas system and heavier the buffer can run the softer it will shoot. Rather have a soft shooting reliable rifle that weighs seven pounds than lightweight that runs hot and hard when get on it like they are designed to run. As to forward assist, can take it or leave it. Have plenty of slick side uppers and forward assist. Let price dictate, usually get slick side uppers for free or way cheap when someone decides need to add forward assist to their price point rifle.

mikeuniform
November 21, 2016, 11:41
I'd finish that 80% lower first before buying parts for anything else.

Bladewurk
November 21, 2016, 14:31
I'd finish that 80% lower first before buying parts for anything else.

Exactly!
You also gotta decide what you want, you mention blaster and Mil Spec,
so pick high or low quality, and keep in mind when buying all those Part$,
Black Friday deals have started.
A Complete Colt LE6920 is $799 With free shipping at PSA.

hueyville
November 21, 2016, 15:33
Smiths are back under $600 with their 20,000 round melonite barrel. Trying to see what I can work on another bulk purchase as make perfect investment rifles. If nothing else make good gifts for nephews, nieces and now their kids going to need them too. Whenever the Smith M&P's drop below cost to build a rifle using Palmetto blemished parts sale prices its hard to not add a few more factory firsts new in the box.

Invictus77
November 21, 2016, 18:31
Whenever the Smith M&P's drop below cost to build a rifle using Palmetto blemished parts sale prices its hard to not add a few more factory firsts new in the box.

Amen. New factory "name brand" rifle under $500? No brainer. Put it away and the $ will only grow.