PDA

View Full Version : Heavy rifle buffer project

Timber Wolf
November 20, 2016, 07:51
I have a 9mm AR build with a rifle length buffer tube and stock that I want a heavy buffer for. There appear to be lots of options for heavy carbine buffers but none for a rifle length buffer.

I have disassembled my stock rifle buffer and found five weights with small rubber bumpers between each one. There is also a 2"+- tube spacer and a little gap left over with it all assembled.

What is the purpose of the gap? This causes the rattle you hear when shaken, but does is serve any purpose? Apparently not as solid heavy buffers are available in carbine length.

I have thought of removing the spacer and rubber disks and filling the resulting space with lead shot. Or, I have a carbine buffer at the shop with a bad end bumper I could strip for the weights and replace the spacer with them in the rifle buffer. Or just go for broke and fill the whole thing with molten lead.

I have not weighed anything yet but have a good small digital scale for reloading so I guess I could get all scientific and stuff. Any thoughts?

Timber Wolf
November 20, 2016, 10:59
I consider it a real good omen that when I went to the shop this morning I laid hands right on the bad carbine buffer right off in the first place I looked. Back home I disassembled it and found three weights each similar to a weight out of the rifle buffer.

Two more weights with rubber bumpers filled the rifle bumper replacing the spacer so I reassembled it and will shoot it and see. I did put all the rubber bumpers back in so there is no slop in the stack.

My good digital scale is not working, so I was only able to weigh things one at a time on my balance beam reloading scale. It appears I added about an ounce overall to the rifle buffer.

Fn/form
November 20, 2016, 20:35
Already know about this one?

http://heavybuffers.com/ar15rxh.html

joeyjoejoe
December 05, 2016, 01:04
I have a 9mm AR build with a rifle length buffer tube and stock that I want a heavy buffer for. There appear to be lots of options for heavy carbine buffers but none for a rifle length buffer.

I have disassembled my stock rifle buffer and found five weights with small rubber bumpers between each one. There is also a 2"+- tube spacer and a little gap left over with it all assembled.

What is the purpose of the gap? This causes the rattle you hear when shaken, but does is serve any purpose? Apparently not as solid heavy buffers are available in carbine length.

I have thought of removing the spacer and rubber disks and filling the resulting space with lead shot. Or, I have a carbine buffer at the shop with a bad end bumper I could strip for the weights and replace the spacer with them in the rifle buffer. Or just go for broke and fill the whole thing with molten lead.

I have not weighed anything yet but have a good small digital scale for reloading so I guess I could get all scientific and stuff. Any thoughts?

First off you can just make or buy a spacer to put in the rifle length buffer tube so you can use a carbine length buffer and spring. Also, instead of just a heavier buffer, use a stronger buffer spring like Wolf Extra Power, JP tuned and polished extra strength, or Sprinco red, blue, etc. extra power.