PDA

View Full Version : CETME overhaul

C2A1
November 19, 2016, 14:54
Any gunsmiths out there that deal with Century CETMEs? Have one that sometimes ejects and shell winds up coming back into the ejection port rotated 180 degrees as the bolt comes forward. It probably isn't worth it, but I like to try and get them all to work properly. So I was thinking to get this one overhauled, checked out, etc and use it as a shooter.
I have two Mars import CETMEs so I guess I like them.

hueyville
November 27, 2016, 21:08
Have an opportunity to buy a Century CETME at a dirt cheap price. My issue is lower receiver looks like made from scrap sheet metal in somebodies garage. If purchase it what are the known issues will encounter and are they fixable without significant expense. Have two CETME's and have grown to like them a lot. Shoot soft, reliable and as accurate as I am with iron sights. Magazines are almost free as buy surplus aluminum 20 rounders for $4.99. Thinking they will make a good end of civilized world pile in quantity.

billbo
November 28, 2016, 07:39
Its probably a worn or tired part . Century used surplus parts in their builds and may have a lot more ware and tear. it could be a tired return spring. Or requires new rollers or a new ejector simply mantience parts. try swopping out some of your working parts from your other rifles one at time provided you are still 922r complient like use the stock off your mars with the other recoil return spring and see if that resolves it if not drop the other bolt carrier group in it check the gap to make sure its good and try that. then examine your ejector

W.E.G.
November 28, 2016, 09:06
Sounds like the ejector arm is not riding up high enough.

Poor ejection reliability was a common problem with the crackwhore CETME's.

The ejector arm is a teeter-totter mechanism that pops up when the bolt is retracted.

If you can get a good viewing angle, you may be able to see whether the arm elevates to the maximum height the slot in the bolt will allow. If the arm seems to be riding low, you can do a test-repair by simply wrapping tape around the ejector arm (within limits of the thickness of the slot in the bolt), and see if the extra height on the ejector-arm added by the tape has the effect of improving ejection.

Or, if you want to go straight gonzo to the fix, you can weld some material to the top radius of the ejector arm, and then dress the added weld to fit the thickness of the slot in the bolt, and the depth of the slot in the bolt. This gives you more "meat" on the ejector arm, and hopefully solves the issue.

C2A1
November 28, 2016, 11:53
The CETME, I have with some ammo (not all), ejects the casing and it ends up back in the ejection port rotated 180 degrees and gets caught with the new shell being fed into the chamber. Sounds like this ejector arm, maybe?

hkshooter
November 28, 2016, 14:32
The CETME, I have with some ammo (not all), ejects the casing and it ends up back in the ejection port rotated 180 degrees and gets caught with the new shell being fed into the chamber. Sounds like this ejector arm, maybe?

Most likely the ejector, as WEG alluded to. The shelf is probably too low.