PDA

View Full Version : Barrel life of a PTR-91?

madmax_fal
November 19, 2016, 09:06
Does anyone know how many rounds it would take to shoot out my ptr-91? Wondering if it would be prudent to get a replacement barrel.

Democrat1
November 19, 2016, 16:37
I shoot Service Rifle. The barrel on one of my M1 or M1A rifles is toast when I start getting shots off call for elevation at 600 yards, basically way high or low. A barrel that has worn to the point that it does this will usually still shoot decent groups at 200 yards. I see this problem at 600 yards usually after about 4000 to 5000 shots.

My recollection is that my PTR91 has a conventionally rifled barrel. If you are interested in shooting at targets 600 or more yards away, expect the same 4000 to 5000 round life before usable accuracy goes away.

If all you care about is 100 or 200 yards, expect several times the life before reasonable accuracy goes away.

For the roller locked HK designs, worry about bolt gap and the extractor springs, and don't worry about much else.

Andy the Aussie
November 19, 2016, 17:17
Tough to shoot one beyond serviceability if you are not competing etc (or just burning up lots of rounds). Tough part with putting spares away for a H&K style rifle, well the barrel in particular, is having the ability to change it out.

randy762ak
November 19, 2016, 18:13
You said PTR-91

if you shoot it 4000 rnds at @.50 thats 2,000.00 USD

I suggest selling said rifle for half the cost of a new one and Start fresh ,,

probably cost $300.00USD to change out a barrel and you still have the rest of the workings well used !

Timber Wolf
November 19, 2016, 19:13
I have no idea, but my sincere wish for you is that you get to shoot it enough to wear it out and find out for yourself.;)

Cornpone
November 22, 2016, 16:16
Barrel life depends on many factors. The best answer I could get from Green Mountain and PTR was 8 to 10 thousand rounds. Changing the barrel on a roller delayed blowback firearm is much harder than most others.

Edit. I should state the number above was their estimate and as stated there is many factors which effect the life of a barrel. The number could go plus or minus a few thousand.

W.E.G.
November 22, 2016, 17:37
You will grow old, or you will get tired of shooting that PTR, before it becomes even remotely an issue.

Jarhead504
November 22, 2016, 21:18
I was taught that a good ole' chrome-moly, chrome-lined chamber and bore shooting the .308 or .223 will last from 15 -> 25K rounds. A non-chrome-lined chamber and bore will last up to 3K at "sniper grade' accuracy and up to 7k with a useful or "practical" accuracy. After that, you will need a new tube.

ALLEGEDLY....allegedly, barrels that have been cryogenically treated or melonited will have a greater life span, by how much I do not know, I have never seen any numbers or percent increase. Also, is has been said that stainless steel barrels have a greater resistance to gas erosion BUT they have the ability to get ruined prematurely due to IMPROPER MAINTENANCE such as using the wrong brushes or the wrong chemicals before getting "shot out".

In addition, don't throw away shot out barrels. They make good bushings of sleeves that can be welded due to their thickness. Or you could use them for tent pegs or reinforcing rods as the asshole brain Klinton did with hundreds of thousands of NOS barrels that were removed before that sack-o'shit had them crushed and chopped, a sin against humanity that must never be forgiven. They were used as rods in highways in Oregon. so they say.

HTH,

Jarhead

W.E.G.
November 22, 2016, 21:22
3000 rounds on a service rifle is generally the point at which a high master shooter will start to notice a diminished 600-yard X-count when firing match-grade ammo.

If the gun never was a sub-minute-of-angle gun, a regular guy might shoot it for a lifetime, and never tell one iota of difference.

wanneroo
November 23, 2016, 21:27
Around the time I bought mine and was researching them, as I recall there was someone who had shot 20000 rounds through theirs.

I think mine has up to 2000 rounds through it right now. After PTR ironed out a few bugs, it's been a great rifle. Good value for the money and your average Joe Blow who buys one off the shelf will never wear it out.

gunplumber
November 24, 2016, 09:22
Does anyone know how many rounds it would take to shoot out my ptr-91? Wondering if it would be prudent to get a replacement barrel.

No. Buy a second gun. You may find someone cheaper, but I charge $350 to R&R a barrel, and an RCM barrel will cost you another $200. You've hit 50% of the value of the gun to change the barrel, buy a second gun.

There are so many variables in barrel wear - excessive cleaning probably does more wear on a barrel than shooting. The key is when there is a statistically significant change in the average accuracy. Since you're starting with mediocre, it may be hard to tell when you're reached unacceptable.

What is unacceptable on my SCAR is a really good day for a FAL or a G3.

But if you want a number, try 50,000.

hkshooter
November 24, 2016, 10:17
No. Buy a second gun. You may find someone cheaper, but I charge $350 to R&R a barrel, and an RCM barrel will cost you another $200. You've hit 50% of the value of the gun to change the barrel, buy a second gun.

There are so many variables in barrel wear - excessive cleaning probably does more wear on a barrel than shooting. The key is when there is a statistically significant change in the average accuracy. Since you're starting with mediocre, it may be hard to tell when you're reached unacceptable.

What is unacceptable on my SCAR is a really good day for a FAL or a G3.

But if you want a number, try 50,000.

I've been reading this thread for a few days now, wanting to respond but having trouble putting in words how I feel about it.
This does a pretty good job for me.
Even the number.

Cornpone
November 24, 2016, 12:56
I could see a HK barrel or one made by one of the licensed countries, Greece, Port. etc. or even the RCM barrel lasting 50,000 rounds but not the PTR.

Of course I'm not a Professional like gunplumber I'm just basing my statement on what Green Mountain and PTR told me and others who have asked. Either way OP I don't think you need to worry about it and if you do buy another rifle.

yarro
November 25, 2016, 12:13
I put around 25,000 rounds of 55gr surplus through an 11-1/2" barreled M16 about 1/2 full auto before I had trouble consistently hitting an 18" square plate at 320 yards and decided to replace the barre!. The barrel was not chrome lined and was used when I got it. I don't do mag dumps so that helped. The throat was severely erroded by that point, and it would not blow up produce very well due to velocity loss. Wish ammo was still that cheap.

-yarro

madmax_fal
December 14, 2016, 21:35
Thanks guys. Good info here.