PDA

View Full Version : Ar10 barrels?

badzero
November 18, 2016, 23:31
Can anyone tell me where to find an 18 in ar10 barrel with a slower twist than 1:10? Preferably not a heavy one.
Thanks

CG&L
November 19, 2016, 00:10
I have a small custom shop and was looking at getting into the 308 AR market.
The 1-10 twist seems to be the only available twist rate. One would think there would be more options. I've never seen anything other than a 1-10

You're probably set on slower than 1-10 but is it a good idea? With lower velocity from an 18"bbl, a 1-10 is probably perfect. A 22" or 24" bbl with light bullets would work better with 1-11.25

I'm assuming you mean a DPMS pattern or Armalite pattern barrel

badzero
November 19, 2016, 00:41
The Scar comes with an 11.25 of .5 I don't recall which, the older Armalites were 11.5 and the Sig 716 patrol has an 11.5 too. All 16 inch barrels, I'm set on it so I'm not bound to heavy bullets, and I'm not planning on shooting any matches with it.

Any idea where I can find a free float quad rail for an Aero upper dpms thread that is 10 inches long?

glazer1972
November 19, 2016, 07:55
Why not 1:10.

hueyville
November 19, 2016, 08:16
Lothar Walther will spin you one up in 1:12 or even 1:14 if that's just what you got to have. Could not imagine what would use it for unless had an unlimited supply of 110 to 120 grain 30 caliber varmint bullets or using sabots for subcaliber bullets. It's not going to be cheap as will be a custom profile in those twist rates but they have the blanks in chrome moly and stainless steel. So if want it skinny just send them your specs and will be as skinny as you want.

http://www.lothar-walther.com/473.php

badzero
November 19, 2016, 08:52
Lothar Walther will spin you one up in 1:12 or even 1:14 if that's just what you got to have. Could not imagine what would use it for unless had an unlimited supply of 110 to 120 grain 30 caliber varmint bullets or using sabots for subcaliber bullets. It's not going to be cheap as will be a custom profile in those twist rates but they have the blanks in chrome moly and stainless steel. So if want it skinny just send them your specs and will be as skinny as you want.

http://www.lothar-walther.com/473.php

I didn't think about getting a custom one done, unless someone comes up with one off the shelf I'll call them Monday.

Thanks

Why not 1:10.

Mk319 mod 0

hueyville
November 19, 2016, 09:05
Did a Google search and checked all the usual suspects in case might be easier option. AR 10 in skinny barrel, low twist rate is not an off the shelf item even at the specialty companies. They tend toward heavier profiles and faster twist rates. Expect $350 to $400 on a guess but at least talk to them.

FAL4EVER
November 19, 2016, 09:07
My JP 18" barrel is 1-11.25 (LR-308, not AR-10 pattern).

badzero
November 19, 2016, 09:28
Just checked they have an 18 11:25 for $599 which gives me another option.
Thanks

hueyville
November 19, 2016, 10:08
Looked at that too after FAL4EVER post, good chance can get the 1:12 Lothar in length of choice which is close to your 1:11.5 spun in profile/weight of choice by Lothar. If going that slow of a twist would prefer a 20" to 22" tube myself. At least we know there is an off the shelf choice and JP is top shelf. I do buy their products often but it's something am familiar with without surfing their site. Their barrels are not in my usual realm as have my preferred vendors with wider price points on both lower and higher sides. Almost every AR I own has the JP Enhanced Reliability Spring Kit. Best $9.99 can spend on an AR.

the gman
November 19, 2016, 10:51
Black Hole Weaponry/Columbia Arms have what you need for around $345. You can get an 18" 1-11 twist barrel in whatever contour you decide. Damn good barrels and much less than JP. My JP barrels are good shooters but I know for a certain fact they used to be made by ER Shaw for JP. Don't know if they still are but $600 is a lot of coin for a barrel. I could have a Krieger for that kind of money.

https://columbiariverarms.com/bhw-redirect/

McGowan makes custom AR barrels too. An 18" fluted AR10 barrel in SS with a 1-11 twist with mid length gas port is $330.

http://mcgowenbarrel.com/shop/custom-ar-barrel/

FAL4EVER
November 19, 2016, 16:17
Keep in mind that included in the price is a matched (headspaced) high pressure bolt with a JP barrel.

badzero
November 19, 2016, 22:05
Thanks for the help guys.

the gman
November 20, 2016, 16:46
Keep in mind that included in the price is a matched (headspaced) high pressure bolt with a JP barrel.

Tish. Marketing exercise. As long as the same pattern (DPMS or Armalite as they are slightly different) bolt is used, the head spaced bolt is BS. Same with AR15. The high pressure bolt originated with Southern Gun Co in the UK made by my good friend Bob Clark from 9310 material and originally included with the Leitner-Wise Rifle Company uppers from over a decade ago. SGC used to supply JP with the bolts but there was a falling out and JP decided to make their own. (or, more accurately, have them made for them by another contractor.)

Any decent DPMS pattern bolt will fit in any DPMS pattern barrel extension so I personally see no point in spending over the odds for a barrel with a supposedly matched bolt when I can buy both considerably cheaper elsewhere. YMMV

sharkey
November 20, 2016, 20:36
If this will work for you, the price is right;
https://www.andersonrifles.com/product/18-inch-308-barrel/