PDA

View Full Version : Adams arms build

TedMckay
November 17, 2016, 17:50
Picked up this upper from servicerifle awhile back got the a2 stock from someone else here , put it together this morning added the Troy 45* sights and the red dot slapped some Rhody paint on and I'm off to the range as soon as it drys .

jhend170
November 18, 2016, 10:36
All my ARs have the Adams kits. LOVE them! As a lefty running a DI gun wet is areal PITA because I get oil spray all over my shooting glasses. After going piston I run grease in the lower and never have to worry about it spattering or burning off.

Adams customer service is as good as it gets as well if you have any issues. They constantly monitor the "piston gun" page over at arfcom, and will jump in the second anyone brings up an issue. Can't beat it.

I'll never personally own a DI gun. I figure if everything else that is in the safe is externally-piston driven, my ARs might as well be too. I guess that is the common thread across the semis in the safe.

TedMckay
November 18, 2016, 17:19
Well the range didn't go so well . I assumed this rifle would function flawless and only brought 30 rounds of Hornady Amax and one magazine . I planned on sighting in only and then go for a little accuracy out to 250 or so . I sure missed the adjustable gas system of the fal . This is my first piston op ar15 but I have built 40 or so di ar15 rifles. I could not get the bolt to hold open with one round loaded in mag and firing also it would fire then fail to feed or fire and jam the spent case . I'm not totally blaming this upper yet I need to try it on another lower and try other mags. I was disappointed but I'm not ready to blame the upper yet. I will go back to range more prepared .

TedMckay
November 18, 2016, 21:18
Now I'm a bit concerned I did some online reading and it very well could be the a2 stock buffer , that would be an easy fix . I would hate to have to remove the best stock ever made but oh well. Seems like lots of people have had problems with the Adams uppers doing the same thing f2f , f2e sucks cause this thing looks and feels good . I did run it pretty dry , but I run all my ar's dry . Any thoughts ?

michael_g927
November 19, 2016, 06:06
Grease

hueyville
November 19, 2016, 08:37
Want to confirm you purchased a complete Adams piston upper or an Adams piston conversion kit? That's going to make huge difference in how the gremlins are chased. If purchased the complete upper then odds will be you just need correct buffer system for a piston rifle. Lower should not matter, magazines will as they seem to be picky, also try different ammo, they like hotter milspec NATO loadings. Would try with different magazines ( new generation p-mags) and different ammo before chasing parts just to see how it acts. When something is known to be picky, I try to avoid it but tinkering is fun.

TedMckay
November 19, 2016, 13:42
Yes it was a complete upper , thanks for the advice guys . I greased everything lightly and will try a couple mags . I hope I don't need to take off the a2 stock but after reading online it may be causing the issue

TedMckay
November 21, 2016, 15:05
I'm headed to the range now , just scored 7 pumpkins !!! A little soft but the cold temps have them mostly frozen . I'm bringing two lowers and the Adams arms rifles and some tools , three different mags and two kinds of ammo . I better get this thing running smooth .

jhend170
November 21, 2016, 15:54
Ted if you continue to have issues seriously go over to arfcom and find their manufacturers page or ask a question in the piston gun forum. They will immediately send you contact info to help you out.

I will say with my first I had an issue with bolt bounce, quick and easy fix with a heavier buffer. If it's still not locking open though (and a different upper on the lower does work or you tried different mags) you too may be having a cyclic speed issue like I did, where the action is closing faster than the mag spring can raise the bolt hold. Again, that would require a heavier buffer to slow everything down.

I would add that if you have the standard Adams gas block yeah there's minimal adjustability (open/suppressor/off). The XLP block, however, has 5 settings to tune the gas. Just FYI.

Hope it works out for you though.

TedMckay
November 21, 2016, 18:57
Well I got it working with two out of three lowers . I fired a couple hundred rounds through my go to lower with my go to mag . It would not fire with my fostech ar defender bumpfire stock . I tried the a2 lower stock on all my other uppers and they fired flawless . I had to run the Adams upper extremely wet but it ran as well on the a2 lower . After a few hundred rounds I broke it apart wiped off the piston and greased everything well and put back on the a2 stock and fired 49 rounds with only one Fail then changed mags and fired 39 more rounds with no issue . I am going to clean it well and lube it up and go burn up a few hundred more rounds if I can get 300 or more with no issues I'll trust it . This upper is almost as picky with lowers as my .50 Beowulf was before I got it running smooth . At least .223 is cheap to shoot . I about broke the bank getting that .50 to run flawless . I shot the .50 today with the fostech at defender bump fire and I tell you what that was fun . I destroyed those pumpkins

jhend170
November 22, 2016, 14:50
Sometimes a pumpkin just needs a good killin'

pistolero1911
November 22, 2016, 15:14
Your impression on DI vs. Piston AR?

TedMckay
November 23, 2016, 14:17
Your impression on DI vs. Piston AR?

My first impression is why waste your money ? All my DI AR's are reliable and not picky so what if I have to clean them every 300-400 rounds . I shot several thousand rounds out of one of them only every spraying one shot in the chamber to remove fouling when it would jam with sand and fouling . The piston ar seems more finicky and other than not shîting where it eats , staying cleaner what's the big deal about it ? My mind is not made up , but so far my first impression is DI is the way to go .

michael_g927
November 27, 2016, 18:08
I have exactly 2 government pattern guns, A1, A2. Other then that, everything is piston. After cleaning the mil spec guns, I always welcome the piston guns. But, that said, I enjoy maintaining my weapons. It is part of the whole thing to me.
My 7.62x39 AA driven gun had issues right from the beginning. Not Adam's fault. Cody was fast to jump on my requests even so. The problem was the low pressure of the cartridge coupled with tapping the gas sample at midlength with a gas port sized for 5.56.
After all was addressed, that gun with quality ammo, is as reliable as my LWRCI REPR or either gubment pattern gun.
After nearly 30 years with Gene's rifle in a professional capacity, I feel those arguing about piston/D.I., are arguing because they enjoy doing so. The design is just plain awesome, either way you drive it!

hueyville
November 27, 2016, 19:36
Have mongrels screwed together from mixed brand take off parts, sale items, found in junk box all assembled into a single rifle with not enough of any one manufacturers parts to give m it any pedigree other than its a DI AR 15. Hate cleaning the things. Have run thousands of rounds through 10/22's without cleaning and my range guns at work cleaning is defined as shooting a cylinder or magazine of jacketed bullets to drag some lead fouling out, hose with carburetor cleaner then oil and wipe with oily rag. If it won't run dirty, don't need it. If won't run absolutely nasty, need it even less.

My custom bench rest rifles get cleaned meticulously using chamber guides, crown guides/protectors and best materials available. My nice AR's (any built with an over $350 barrel) get cleaned when need properly. My nice pistols and rifles get cleaned properly and oiled if going into vault for unknown amount of time. If left in the shooting pile, hose, oil and wipe on occasion and let fly. Use the extra time for casting, loading and shooting. Seen more guns messed up from improper or over cleaning than not being cleaned. Long as oil enough to keep rust and wear minimized, clean when picking up gets black goo on my hands. My carris get wiped down after each range session before dropped back in holster. Why gave up on black powder, too much maintenance.

joeyjoejoe
December 02, 2016, 20:24
Well I got it working with two out of three lowers . I fired a couple hundred rounds through my go to lower with my go to mag . It would not fire with my fostech ar defender bumpfire stock . I tried the a2 lower stock on all my other uppers and they fired flawless . I had to run the Adams upper extremely wet but it ran as well on the a2 lower . After a few hundred rounds I broke it apart wiped off the piston and greased everything well and put back on the a2 stock and fired 49 rounds with only one Fail then changed mags and fired 39 more rounds with no issue . I am going to clean it well and lube it up and go burn up a few hundred more rounds if I can get 300 or more with no issues I'll trust it . This upper is almost as picky with lowers as my .50 Beowulf was before I got it running smooth . At least .223 is cheap to shoot . I about broke the bank getting that .50 to run flawless . I shot the .50 today with the fostech at defender bump fire and I tell you what that was fun . I destroyed those pumpkins

Have you tried a spacer, carbine buffer spring, and carbine buffer in the A2 stock? Are you shooting 5.56mm pressure ammo? Sounds like you need more gas or stouter ammo.