PDA

View Full Version : What is thing in an older Colt HBAR?

Gazz
November 15, 2016, 19:33
I attempted to put a modular type trigger in a Colt Match Target HBAR today but it would not go. The trigger, "something" Armament in a red anodized housing (sorry - forget the name and it is not here) has an extension at the rear which I believe is part of the sear which is blocked by the part that extends down to the bottom of the HST mortise and also extends above the top of the lower. It is marked Colt and is held in place by a pressed in pin I believe its function is to block the installation of a FA sear but don't know. I guess I could press the pin out and remove the part but would like to know more about this before I make a big mistake. Anybody know what the purpose of this thing is? Sorry, no pics.

hkshooter
November 15, 2016, 20:59
It's Colt's way of saying "do not install auto sear", just as you mused. Not sure but I don't think removing it is a good idea. Instead, buy a new lower for your needs. They are cheap and will likely get cheaper.

W.E.G.
November 15, 2016, 21:31
Check with Colt to see if it's a pre-94.

May be worth extra coin in Massachusetts.

W.E.G.
November 15, 2016, 21:35
The chances of pressing that pin without ruining the receiver, and without a jig that supports it 8 ways to Sunday are nil.

fmj_shooter
November 15, 2016, 22:34
Yeah. I wouldn't mess with it. Just use a trigger that does not come in a pack.

gentlemanjoe
November 15, 2016, 22:39
Isn't that block "blind" pinned. :whistling:

grumpy1
November 16, 2016, 01:04
Isn't that block "blind" pinned. :whistling:

Mine like it is... if I remember correctly, it was Colts attempt to keep a looming gun ban at bay during the late 80'S early 90's time frame. Which happened anyway.

idsubgun
November 16, 2016, 04:38
I just machined them out and left the pin in place. You wouldn't even see it from the outside.

Gazz
November 16, 2016, 08:05
Thanks for the responses!
I did try to tap it out with hammer and bronze punch but it doesn't budge. I suppose the bigger hammer approach would eventually work but I am afraid to mess up the receiver as you mention WEG. Milling it out is an option though as is another lower.
I'll have to think on this a bit.

Blackmore
November 16, 2016, 09:33
Check with Colt to see if it's a pre-94.

May be worth extra coin in Massachusetts.

Not since mid-July thanks to that %$@! Maura Healey.

gunshooter
November 16, 2016, 11:56
A complete lower with small pins can be had on sale for about $200.00 . I would not even screw with the Colt lower and just build or buy another lower.

You can even get an upper on sale and mix and match and have all sorts of fun!

I like the .223 Wylde chambering.

TerryN
November 16, 2016, 17:52
I had the sear block professionally removed from my Colt HBAR, despite figuring that I could do it myself. Turned out to be a good move on my part. The smith said that mine was a beatch to remove for various reasons.

nvcdl
November 16, 2016, 18:47
Probably also has over-sized pins also- I'd sell it on gunbroker as a pre-ban and buy a new receiver.

Mark IV
November 17, 2016, 08:46
Probably also has over-sized pins also- I'd sell it on gunbroker as a pre-ban and buy a new receiver.

.170 as opposed to the .154.

A machinist could probably mill out the block so you don't have to mess with removing the pins.

idsubgun
November 17, 2016, 16:13
A machinist could probably mill out the block so you don't have to mess with removing the pins.

That's what I did for a couple guys. If you try to drive the pin out, there's a chance you'll crack the receiver. Much easier to machine the inside and leave the pin alone. You'll end up machining right thru the pin inside.