PDA

View Full Version : Any Steyr SSG fans here?

catmguy445
November 14, 2016, 20:02
Just an FYI. CDNN in Abilene, TX has a bunch of Steyr SSG PII rifles in .308 Win./7.62 NATO that they're currently selling. Models are available with 20 or 26 inch barrels and with single or double set triggers and with or without threaded muzzles. I ordered one with a 20" heavy barrel, double set triggers, and threaded muzzle, which was the most expensive one. Prices start at about $1350 and go up to just under $1500, depending on options. Steyr isn't making the SSG any longer, so this may be the last chance to get one if you have any interest in a super accurate sniper-type rifle for a more or less reasonable price. Or if you're just a nut for Steyr rifles.

I put a Vortex 6.5-20x50 Viper 30mm scope on mine in Burris medium tactical rings. Should have gotten low rings, as there's plenty of clearance with medium rings, but I was doing this mail order. I put the scope in the rings, didn't bother to boresight it, torqued the rings to 25 inch pounds with a Warne torque driver, cleaned the bore, and took it to the range. It took six round to zero it. The first group was one inch low and a hair to the right of the centerline on the sight in target. Made the sight adjustments, and shot three more rounds. The last three rounds took the center out of the center diamond on the sighter target. If it had been a bullseye target, the group would have been in the center of the X ring.

When the front trigger is unset, trigger pull is about 4 lbs. When the rear trigger is set, the front trigger pull weight is probably somewhere around 2 to 4 ounces. As soon as I can feel my finger on the trigger, any movement fires the rifle.

Andy the Aussie
November 14, 2016, 23:03
Yep....had mine (a late 70s model) since 1986...feck I'm getting old.... :facepalm:

Falcon
November 15, 2016, 14:25
I had a SSG-69 P1 (1:12" twist rate) that I did some load development on for hunting purposes.

Federal Brass
WLR Primer
165 gr. Sierra Game King
45.5 gr. Varget

Might be a good one to start out with and save your self some time.

100 Yard group...

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v38/Falcon007/steyrmodSSGmatch055.jpg

gunseller
November 20, 2016, 10:05
Had one in 308 about 15 years ago. The chamber was so tight. Sold it and bought a custom built long range match rifle in 308 Norma mag. It will out shoot the SSG I had by a 1/4 inch at 200 and much more as range increases. Vortex says to only tork to 17 inch pounds.
Steve

nopec
November 20, 2016, 12:19
I wish, wish, wish that I would have bought one of the ssg-82 rifles in the mid 90s. But that was before the flood of 5.45 ammo.

RJCapt
November 23, 2016, 17:22
Thank you for posting this. I've wanted one of these since the 80's.

I just ordered a 24" two trigger rifle. Now to find some glass that will do it justice....

Thanks again

Pete

yellowhand
November 23, 2016, 17:41
Got mine in 1973 at the Rod and Gun Club, while stationed at Lee Barracks in Mainz, West Germany, now that is really showing my age!:biggrin:

Got mine in 308, shoots M60 machine gun ammo just fine.

The green stock is still winning me over, slowly, but its finally getting there.:rofl:

yovinny
November 26, 2016, 12:18
Had an SSG69 years ago,,Shot very well, especially for its weight..
I sold mine back during the ban to some 'sniper' for stupid money..
The SSG kind of kills the theory that un-threaded pressed in barrels cant be accurate...:shades:

Andy the Aussie
November 26, 2016, 15:41
And as I recall I ended up with your 10 round magazine for it ?? :bow::beer:

yovinny
November 27, 2016, 08:54
And as I recall I ended up with your 10 round magazine for it ?? :bow::beer:

I believe so...:bigangel:
And IIRC, the completely 'unobtanium' extra mag catches....
Probably easily worth their weight in gold today...:wink:

Andy the Aussie
November 27, 2016, 13:37
Yep...twice now they have saved the day mate !!!!!!!! I think I still have two sets left !!!:uhoh::uhoh: