PDA

View Full Version : 9mm upper lower question

Bertellione
November 14, 2016, 00:04
Does anyone know of a lower that uses the glock magazines that will work with the old colt 9mm upper?

I have looked at PSA but you have to use their upper and lower together. I already have a couple older colt 9mm uppers that I got for a realy good deal I think. If I have to I'll just use a standard lower and get the colt parts, but I like the idea of being able to use glock mags because they are so much cheaper compared to the colt style mags.

Does anyone have any experience with the New Frontier 9mm lowers. They say that they are compatible with standard parts but I'm not sure about their reputation and some of the features they have. I'm new to the AR9mm game and don't want to buy a bunch of parts that don't work together.

leper
November 14, 2016, 11:17
I have a new frontier 80% lower im going to use with a regular, no fwd asst, upper and see no reason why it wouldnt work. From what I' ve read, the PSA claim is for marketing only, and I believe the add now says its only suggested to use thier upper.
I built a 9mm colt mag billet lower, not new frontier tho, and it used just a regular lpk. I have to look again, but Im not sure if the New Frontier has a last round hold open.

gunshooter
November 14, 2016, 11:26
I have a metal New Frontier Lower for Glock Mags and it does not have a bolt hold open. I just used an off the shelf old M16A1 non assist upper but an expensive glock specific Bolt. It has to clear the feed lips of the mag and the ejector as far as I can tell. Oh yes, I finnally decided on using and Anderson Non - assist and no ejection door upper as well.

I also had to take 4 swipes of sharp mill bastard on the port side lip under the ejector. This bit of clearance is about .040.
This allows the mag to go up a bit more so the mag catch "catches". I only had to do this to the Korean drum Mags. The official glock mags fit perfectly. :sleep:

leper
November 14, 2016, 13:40
On my colt mag gun I used a Spinta blem bolt..it was further reduced in price..maybe i paid 90 bucks for it..regular price for it is 109 i believe. It is also cut for glock mags and plan to use another for next build

Bladewurk
November 14, 2016, 14:13
The bottom of the Bolt needs to be milled to clear the Glock Mag lips, or just buy a Glock Mag compatible bolt. Then a Colt upper will work with most all Glock Mag lowers, such as QC10,NFA etc.

The 9mm guns often have tolerance stack issues that may need to be addressed but basically that's it if you wanna use a Genuine Colt 6450 upper for example.

Bladewurk
November 14, 2016, 14:17
BTW you can just buy Colt OEM Metalform mags at CDNN or PSA and buy a PSA Colt style lower.
The mags are only $29 and this will get you a good OE type system with a LRBHO that works. And no new Bolt.
These Mags made my 9mm extremely reliable.
https://www.cdnnsports.com/magazines/ar15-9mm-32rd-metalform.html#.WCoOpWS9Kc0

Lower is here, also stripped for $109.
http://palmettostatearmory.com/blem-psa-9mm-dedicated-complete-coltc-style-magazine-lower-moe-black.html

GOVT1911
November 14, 2016, 14:55
The bottom of the Bolt needs to be milled to clear the Glock Mag lips, or just buy a Glock Mag compatible bolt. Then a Colt upper will work with most all Glock Mag lowers, such as QC10,NFA etc.

The 9mm guns often have tolerance stack issues that may need to be addressed but basically that's it if you wanna use a Genuine Colt 6450 upper for example.

That's my understanding as well. I did quite a bit of research before building my 9mm AR. I used PSA glock lower and barrel with a Glock BCG from joebob's and a regular flattop upper from Rainier. All went together well and runs great. I threw a slidefire stock I had sitting around on it (had to trim the trigger guard area on the slidefire to get it to fit) for fun and right off the bat it ran like a raped ape! Much smoother and there was no "learning curve" like I had when I had the stock on a 5.56 AR.

hkshooter
November 14, 2016, 19:05
Does anyone know of a lower that uses the glock magazines that will work with the old colt 9mm upper?

I have looked at PSA but you have to use their upper and lower together. I already have a couple older colt 9mm uppers that I got for a realy good deal I think. If I have to I'll just use a standard lower and get the colt parts, but I like the idea of being able to use glock mags because they are so much cheaper compared to the colt style mags.

Does anyone have any experience with the New Frontier 9mm lowers. They say that they are compatible with standard parts but I'm not sure about their reputation and some of the features they have. I'm new to the AR9mm game and don't want to buy a bunch of parts that don't work together.

The Colt bolt feeds off of a double feed, side by side UZI style mag while the Glock mag is a single feed mag. Not sure this is compatible.

I need to get back to my 9mm project, back burnered it when I ran into trouble with the junk PSA adapter block.

Bladewurk
November 14, 2016, 21:38
The PSA Colt style lower is now cheaper than a quality Magblock!!;)

hkshooter
November 14, 2016, 21:45
The PSA Colt style lower is now cheaper than a quality Magblock!!;)

This will be my route should I restart the project. I had looked into dedicated UZI mag lowers and liked what I saw as I have a pile of UZI mags with no home.

Bertellione
November 14, 2016, 23:29
Thanks for all the info guys. Now I have more to think about UZI or Glock mag. Does anyone have any input on which will be more reliable.

ByronF
November 15, 2016, 12:03
Been doing some reading up on PSA lowers and apparently there are some problems with breaking ejectors. PSA seems to acknowledge an issue. May sit tight until resolved and spare ejectors are available.

These seem visually same as NFA brand, for what thats worth.

GOVT1911
November 15, 2016, 16:55
Been doing some reading up on PSA lowers and apparently there are some problems with breaking ejectors. PSA seems to acknowledge an issue. May sit tight until resolved and spare ejectors are available.

These seem visually same as NFA brand, for what thats worth.

I have both a PSA and an NFA 9mm lower, they both appear identical with the exception of markings, of course. I'm betting both were mfg by same people.

Bladewurk
November 15, 2016, 17:43
Thanks for all the info guys. Now I have more to think about UZI or Glock mag. Does anyone have any input on which will be more reliable.

I think Colt OE magazines made by Metalform (UZI based) are the standard. Run from ASC or Cproducts. They just went on sale at PSA.

http://palmettostatearmory.com/psa-9mm-smg-magazine.html

GOVT1911
November 16, 2016, 07:57
I went with Glock mags over Uzi for a couple reasons:

I own a couple 9mm Glocks already and have a pretty good pile of mags already, I like having the ability to use mags from my EDC in my carbine and vice versa, and I personally think Glock mags will be readily available in the future.

FWIW, some of my Glock mags drop free from my PSA lower, some are a little tight and have to be pulled free. This doesn't bother me MUCH, but I'm thinking I might widen the magwell on my lower so they all drop free. Dunno if I want to do that and possibly affect the reliability due to mag wobble or not.

Bertellione
November 16, 2016, 14:17
That's what I was thinking as well. You can get 30 round after market Glock mags all day long for 10$ each although factory is about the same price as Uzi mags. But nobody makes the uzi anymore I don't think so eventually the mags are going to cost more for original.

michael_g927
November 17, 2016, 20:26
I bought an Olympic Arms Glock fed rifle back in 2010. I used to carry it in my patrol car and use it for every thing. Very handy using just one mag and ammo type. Even my mags from my G26 back up gun work!
The awesome thing about the Olympic upper is that the bolt is weighted so that the upper will work on any standard 5.56 lower. The ejector is even intergal to the upper. No need for a 9mm specific recoil system. Just plug and play on any 5.56 lower!
Glock mags are so prolific today and for the foreseeable future, that many designers are making guns that use them. It's usually the mag that kills new gun projects in finance. Even the AR mags have become standard in many a non AR design.