PDA

View Full Version : 9mm ejector?

Stoney
November 13, 2016, 11:27
Is it needed? or will a 45 one work?

CG&L
November 13, 2016, 11:35
No, a 45 ejector will not work

The 9mm is smaller diameter so the ejector steps in a little as well as the slot in the slide

Retired Bum
November 13, 2016, 17:21
The ejector on 9mm 1911 frames has a "finger" that extends a short distance so the shorter 9mm case will be reliably ejected.

And so it goes.

The Retired One

Wildcat
November 16, 2016, 17:48
No, a 45 ejector will not work

The 9mm is smaller diameter so the ejector steps in a little as well as the slot in the slide

This.

idsubgun
November 24, 2016, 12:30
I ALWAYS put 9mm ejectors in my 45's for reliable ejecting! It's been a go-to solution for decades!

CG&L
November 24, 2016, 14:21
No, you didn't put in a 9mm ejector in a 45 ACP. the slide has to be cut inward a little. The firing pin stop has to have a notch cut as well

Even if it were possible, which it isn't, such a move wouldn't make a 45 ACP more reliable.

When Colt created the Commander in 9mm, the ejector had to change to a 9mm ejector.
For machining simplicity, Commanders chambered for the 45 ACP had a 9mm ejector. The slides continued to be cut for them as well. Certainly the firing pin stop had to have the notch

idsubguns
I build custom 1911s and can't think of where you're going wrong on this. A quality recoil spring is about the only thing you can add to a 1911 to add reliability. Certainly, I can do chamber work to increase reliability but this is something I can't recommend to other people.

Believe it or not, a good magazine spring makes a difference as well. Feed lips, not so much

idsubgun
November 24, 2016, 14:55
No, you didn't put in a 9mm ejector in a 45 ACP. the slide has to be cut inward a little. The firing pin stop has to have a notch cut as well

Even if it were possible, which it isn't, such a move wouldn't make a 45 ACP more reliable.

When Colt created the Commander in 9mm, the ejector had to change to a 9mm ejector.
For machining simplicity, Commanders chambered for the 45 ACP had a 9mm ejector. The slides continued to be cut for them as well. Certainly the firing pin stop had to have the notch

idsubguns
I build custom 1911s and can't think of where you're going wrong on this. A quality recoil spring is about the only thing you can add to a 1911 to add reliability. Certainly, I can do chamber work to increase reliability but this is something I can't recommend to other people.

Believe it or not, a good magazine spring makes a difference as well. Feed lips, not so much

I build 1911's as well, taught by Bill Laughridge of Cylinder & Slide. Sounds like you are talking about the extractor, not the ejector.

But, I'm sick as a dog today with a high fever so I may be missing something.

CG&L
November 24, 2016, 17:22
The ejector has to jut in a little to hit the smaller diameter of the 9mm.
A 45 ACP ejector would completely miss the rim of the 9mm.
To accommodate the step-in of the ejector, the ejector slot in the slide has to step-in as well
With the ejector slot step-in in the slide, the firing pin stop has to have a notch cut in it as well

Iv'e been racking my brain figure out what can be used on a 45 and used on a 9mm.

The 9mm must have its own
Frame(smaller feed ramp)
Slide(smaller bolt face)
Barrel
Recoil spring
Extractor
Ejector
Slide stop
Firing pin stop
And, usually, a lighter hammer spring. I use a 19lb spring

A Commander in 45, 9mm or anything else must have a shorter barrel bushing, a shorter guide rod and a Commander-length recoil spring

I still can't come up with anything to make a 1911 more reliable than a good recoil spring and chamber work

Stoney
November 24, 2016, 18:03
what recoil spring for a 9mm commander? I put a cut dowm 45 spring in it, maybe that's my problem.

idsubgun
November 24, 2016, 18:16
what recoil spring for a 9mm commander? I put a cut dowm 45 spring in it, maybe that's my problem.

Factory recoil springs:

.45 acp - 16 lbs

.40 S&W - 19 lbs.

10mm - dual springs - 23 lbs

Everything else, including 9mm - 14 lbs.

Depending on your load, you can adjust them up or down.

Wildcat
November 24, 2016, 23:58
Iv'e been racking my brain figure out what can be used on a 45 and used on a 9mm.

The 9mm must have its own
Frame(smaller feed ramp)
Slide(smaller bolt face)
Barrel
Recoil spring
Extractor
Ejector
Slide stop
Firing pin stop
And, usually, a lighter hammer spring. I use a 19lb spring

9mm/38Super slides (or 40 for that matter) usually require a different firing pin as well.

Its possible to go to a 17lb mainspring for the 9mm (full size govt model) and a 12.5 recoil spring.

CG&L
November 25, 2016, 09:49
On firing pins

All 45 ACP slides will use a .093 firing pin

All custom slides will use a .068 firing pin regardless of caliber(45ACP, 9mm, 9 Super, etc..)

Springfield Armory uses a .075 firing pin. I will not say too much about SA as I haven't much experience with them

The 40S&W, 9mm, 9 Super, etc... uses the .068 firing pin

Basically, if you're working on a 1911, never assume firing pin diameter. Always measure the firing pin hole or firing pin if available.

wildcat
Your spring combination of 17lb mainspring and 12.5 recoil for a full sized 1911 looks great.
I build guns for customers and get a little worried going less than a 19lb mainspring.
You can never tell when a customer will use ammo with really hard primers.
I've never had a light strike but I've had lying, POS, know-it-all, pain-in the-ass customers.

hueyville
November 26, 2016, 23:17
Took two builders classes from Jim Stroh and what I took away from it is ability to maintain my 1911's and do light modifications. Aftermarket parts and how they interact change from season to season. If don't build as a business, likely not doing enough to stay on top of the curve.

My new rule for carry guns has become for the moment... Buy a SIG 1911 with features want for a particular task then send it back after break in. If talk nice comes back with a 3.5 pound trigger that has almost no creep and zero travel. Breaks clean as an ice sickle and is consistent. They polish feedramp in this service and with parts, labor and shipping is just under $200. Add a few more things and pushes the bill up a bit but all said and done your carrying a "factory" out of manufacturers box pistol without any homebrew modifications if find yourself sitting on wrong side of courtroom in civil litigation case.

Still carry some custom 3.5" 1911's and Commanders but if the 4.2" SIG turns out slick it might step into the small 45 acp role. Believe Colt uses 23 pound mainsprings on factory 45's. Usually buy Wilson or Wolff 19 pound mainsprings in three packs. Can get away with lighter most of the time till you have a light strike at worst possible time. Unless have a custom race gun where builder specs something different, my shooters get a new 19 pound mainspring and recoil spring every 5,000 to 7,500 rounds. Recoil springs are dependent on gun, caliber and load. Buy a dozen Wolff variety packs and tune pistol to load unless it eats a variety.

If you want something difficult to tune right the first time but is a dream for life find an old NIB Quadralock barrel and swap shims till spring guide and barrel link are perfectly matched for lockup of barrel hood into slide. I let a smith do this job as proper fitting is required. When find a complete NIB Quadralock barrel, spring, spring guide and shims get way happy and will bid large if necessary.

Wildcat
November 28, 2016, 18:40
Believe Colt uses 23 pound mainsprings on factory 45's. .

That would help explain the pencil points embedded in the shop ceiling. :D