PDA

View Full Version : Glock 9mm AR

ByronF
November 13, 2016, 09:46
Who has built one? How did it go? Figuring to build as pistol, SBR if I like it.

cavegeo
November 13, 2016, 11:52
I just put together a 9 mm AR but rather than Glock mags my uses Colt style mags. I used a polymer lower and got a adapter that goes into the magwell so I can switch it back to regular rifle lower if I wish.

I will say I was surprised how much more it cost to make a 9 mm rifle over a standard caliber rifle. :(

fnogger
November 13, 2016, 12:36
I'd own one if I could stand shooting a glock pistol... may end up with one anyway.

Olympic used to be the only game in town, but others have done it and I've seen complete lowers (and presumably uppers) on PSAs site recently.

yellowhand
November 13, 2016, 13:21
Went with the PSA set up, upper and lower that uses Glock mags, thing runs like a dream, accurate, and might even clean and oil it one day.:facepalm:
Took the parts, popped them together, made sure barrel was clear with eyeball and 400 rounds later, decided it would run.:D
Never even took the BCG apart.:facepalm:
Was going shooting when it all arrived, so it got a real test right out of box.
100 yards fine, 200 yds, ok, like shooting a mortar.;)
Feed everything, no FTE or FTF, even used it with a drum I got on sale, 50 rounds.
Factory Glock and Korean mags and drums, all fine.
Going to slap a slidefire stock on it when it arrives.:biggrin:

Thorack
November 13, 2016, 17:08
Yeah,

Im building a 9mm HB rifle. Got to be an HBAR here in Maryland. I went with a New Frontier Armory upper and lower for glock mags. Has a last round bolt hold open.

Should have it done after the new year.

Thorack

ByronF
November 13, 2016, 21:07
Maryland requires pistol caliber carbines to have uncommonly thick barrels?

Thorack
November 13, 2016, 21:41
Well,

Unfortunately in Maryland all AR's rifles have to be HBARs. No M-4 cut barrels. It was the only way they could get the Maryland legislature to sign off keeping AR rifles for match competition.

No legal definition of what designates an HBAR except for the marking on the barrel. My 9mm Rifle will have HBAR on the barrel.

Thorack

yellowhand
November 13, 2016, 21:54
Well,

Unfortunately in Maryland all AR's rifles have to be HBARs. No M-4 cut barrels. It was the only way they could get the Maryland legislature to sign off keeping AR rifles for match competition.

No legal definition of what designates an HBAR except for the marking on the barrel. My 9mm Rifle will have HBAR on the barrel.

Thorack

Move!

Thorack
November 13, 2016, 22:01
Well,

Professor Wise Ass its in the works but my Army hitch aint up.

Thorack

yellowhand
November 13, 2016, 22:04
Well,

Professor Wise Ass its in the works but my Army hitch aint up.

Thorack

:biggrin:

Did not mean it that way, but can see ya point.;)

Arizona is nice and getting better everyday.

How much time you got left to do????

Thorack
November 13, 2016, 23:16
Well,

If my math is right another 24 months and I'll be a free man.

Thorack

yellowhand
November 14, 2016, 00:33
Well,

If my math is right another 24 months and I'll be a free man.

Thorack

At the end, felt like my 24 years went by in 24 minutes, will come up on you fast.
Of course mama reminds me daily I'm not 18 anymore, but what can I say, she's right.:facepalm:;)

GOVT1911
November 15, 2016, 17:05
Went with the PSA set up, upper and lower that uses Glock mags, thing runs like a dream, accurate, and might even clean and oil it one day.:facepalm:
Took the parts, popped them together, made sure barrel was clear with eyeball and 400 rounds later, decided it would run.:D
Never even took the BCG apart.:facepalm:
Was going shooting when it all arrived, so it got a real test right out of box.
100 yards fine, 200 yds, ok, like shooting a mortar.;)
Feed everything, no FTE or FTF, even used it with a drum I got on sale, 50 rounds.
Factory Glock and Korean mags and drums, all fine.
Going to slap a slidefire stock on it when it arrives.:biggrin:

I threw a slidefire on my mostly PSA 9mm AREand it runs GREAT!!!! The triggerguard on the PSA lower interferes with the slidefire and won't allow it to fit, but is easily modified.

I know conventional wisdom is "modify the cheapest part", but I didn't follow that. I paid about twice as much for the slidefire several years ago than I did for my lower ($300 for the stock, $120 for the lower) slidefire are now about $100, though.

I trimmed the plastic on type stock where it slides under the triggerguard, about 1/2" x 3/4". Now it slides freely and runs GREAT

yellowhand
November 15, 2016, 17:12
I threw a slidefire on my mostly PSA 9mm AREand it runs GREAT!!!! The triggerguard on the PSA lower interferes with the slidefire and won't allow it to fit, but is easily modified.

I know conventional wisdom is "modify the cheapest part", but I didn't follow that. I paid about twice as much for the slidefire several years ago than I did for my lower ($300 for the stock, $120 for the lower) slidefire are now about $100, though.

I trimmed the plastic on type stock where it slides under the triggerguard, about 1/2" x 3/4". Now it slides freely and runs GREAT

Thanks for heads up, will do!
Love the thing on an M4, just like the "old days" and pisses off the liberals.

ByronF
November 16, 2016, 17:27
Been doing more reading on LRBHO. Seems options are:
1. Go without
2. BHO lower, where a little sheetmetal piece lifts the bolt catch.
3. BHO upper, where a wire with bent ends is lifted by follower and pushed out BHO button.

What type of LRBHO are you using and how is it performing?

gunplumber
November 16, 2016, 17:42
I've modified a number of bolts to work with the Glock magazine, but don't have one myself. It is one of the few guns I've been contemplating. My buddy loves it, with a dedicated Glock mag lower.

Thorack
November 16, 2016, 20:47
Yeah,

One of my good friends (Loggie Toad) has one and said since he bought it he hasn't shot another AR and thats been over a year. At the indoor range its like cheating, the thing is a laser at under 50 yds.

Hopefully I can get a can on this one, and shoot some 147gr. sub sonics and make it a good home defense rifle.

Thorack

2barearms
November 16, 2016, 21:29
The Tavor 9mm mags fit the Colt types and have a bolt hold open.

ByronF
November 19, 2016, 14:18
Went ahead and ordered a PSA Glock lower that does not have the LRBHO. May go with New Frontier upper that has a unique LRBHO function.

Timber Wolf
November 19, 2016, 22:16
I have a PSA upper and Glock mag lower that I am having issues with. It shoots fine but loaded rounds get stuck in the chamber and I have to beat the charging handle against the back of the bench to get them to eject. Not the kind of thing I want to take to a match. At the range I eject the mag and shoot the chambered round out. It does not do it every time, and I was blaming my reloads but it does it sometimes with factory as well. Any ideas?

yellowhand
November 20, 2016, 00:07
I have a PSA upper and Glock mag lower that I am having issues with. It shoots fine but loaded rounds get stuck in the chamber and I have to beat the charging handle against the back of the bench to get them to eject. Not the kind of thing I want to take to a match. At the range I eject the mag and shoot the chambered round out. It does not do it every time, and I was blaming my reloads but it does it sometimes with factory as well. Any ideas?

Chuck a 9mm chamber brush in a hand drill, soak in # 9 and see what comes out of the chamber after a good spin.
Would be the first thought.

Timber Wolf
November 20, 2016, 06:23
Chuck a 9mm chamber brush in a hand drill, soak in # 9 and see what comes out of the chamber after a good spin.
Would be the first thought.

Agree, but this is a new upper/barrel. Guess starting with cheap and simple is the best approach though.:)

richbug
November 20, 2016, 08:00
Agree, but this is a new upper/barrel. Guess starting with cheap and simple is the best approach though.:)

I'd probably start with valve lapping compound on a patch. Chamber probably has tool marks left in it. What does the fired brass look like? Unfired ejected case?

You color some rounds with sharpie marker, and see where it gets rubbed/scraped off.

ByronF
November 20, 2016, 09:12
I'd try to figure out the dimensional issue. How would one measure headspace on a blowback chamber? Bolt should register against barrel extension, not cartridge head.

If you trim a case mouth square, then epoxy a rod into front of case so it sticks out muzzle, yiu could close bolt on the case then measure fore-aft play using an indicator, depth mic, good calipers, etc. Remove extractor first.

Gunsmith knows how to do it right. I just make stuff up.

ByronF
November 20, 2016, 09:14
Reason I wonder about HS is a short chamber could bulge the case when the bolt impact the case.

cavegeo
November 20, 2016, 09:24
I took my 9mm AR out last weekend to sight in the Red Dot sight and see how well she works. Had a few jams where the nose of the bullet got caught on the ramp of the adapter, hope that is just needs to be broke in some more.

My biggest complaint was how much recoil the rifle had. It had very stout recoil for a pistol caliber. Just ordered a heavier buffer to install to see if that helps.

Just looking for ideas for ways to get this shooting a lot smoother and milder.

I have installed a spacer on the buffer springs to prevent the carrier from over traveling and breaking the BHO. It feels like the carrier is coming to a rapid stop on the spacer rather than just compressing the spring.

richbug
November 20, 2016, 09:48
My biggest complaint was how much recoil the rifle had. It had very stout recoil for a pistol caliber. Just ordered a heavier buffer to install to see if that helps.

Nature of the beast with blow back carbines.

cavegeo
November 20, 2016, 09:59
Nature of the beast with blow back carbines.

I understand blow back firearms only use the weight of the slide/carrier and recoil spring to control lock up and recoil but this was very painful. It felt very sharp and I suspect it may be due to the carrier/buffer coming to a rapid stop due to the spacer needed to prevent the carrier from breaking the BHO.

I have a heavier buffer on the way to try and see if that might reduce the recoil somewhat.

ByronF
November 20, 2016, 10:31
Momemtum of 9mm and 5.56 are not much different. Sensation of recoil can be short and sharp, or spread over a little more time. Changing springs and buffers might change how the momentum is delivered to the shooter but cant change the amount.

yellowhand
November 20, 2016, 13:22

I just got mine put together and been shooting it a little and it works.
Other than making sure the barrel was clear, nada, nothing, just loaded it up and went shooting.
Never cleaned it, not even took the BCG apart.
Old school, new guns should run.:D

Dirty chambers will do what is happening with yours.
Have always heard, Smiths make a good living fixing "broken guns" with just a good cleaning.

Something stuck to a chamber wall and the 9mm being what it is, start simple and move up from there.

Some of these darn things also just need a good break in period, as in, shoot the shit out of it till it's good and hot will solve a host of issues as well.:wink:

richbug
November 20, 2016, 13:54
I understand blow back firearms only use the weight of the slide/carrier and recoil spring to control lock up and recoil but this was very painful.

I know exactly of the feeling you speak. I have been through a bunch of blow back carbines in search of one that was fun to shoot(high point, Marlin Camp 9, Ruger PC, Suomi, a couple home made ones). I don't have one presently as I never found one that didn't have that objectionable feel.

FWIW, I am not recoil shy, I shoot a 458 Lott as a garden gun.

cavegeo
November 20, 2016, 16:08
I know exactly of the feeling you speak. I have been through a bunch of blow back carbines in search of one that was fun to shoot(high point, Marlin Camp 9, Ruger PC, Suomi, a couple home made ones). I don't have one presently as I never found one that didn't have that objectionable feel.

FWIW, I am not recoil shy, I shoot a 458 Lott as a garden gun.

Well the heavy buffer just showed up and I put it in right of way probably a week or two before I can get to the range to see if it improved the recoil or not. Replaced the standard carbine buffer with a 9 mm buffer so went from 3 oz buffer to a 5.5 oz buffer, I see they make a 12 oz buffer but not anything in between. Hope this heavier buffer works and don't need to try another.

I would not consider myself recoil shy but not sure I would shoot a 458 Lott as a garden gun unless there were elephants in my garden.

brunop
November 25, 2016, 01:44
My super easy-to-like 9mm blowback carbine is the Meeper FAL conversion.

Big heavy gun with lots of little 'Pew, pew' noises coming out.

toys
November 25, 2016, 17:09
I'm slowly working on a 10mm Glock AR build.

i have a AR 9 & 45. the 9 uses sten and the 45 uses grease gun mags. both a hoot to shoot.

i think once you make one you will get hooked.

ByronF
November 28, 2016, 07:44
Received the lower yesterday. Havent installed anything but seems decently machined and finished. The mag catch is plastic so I look forward to someone making a metal one. Aluminum will be fine. It seems like its made of that glass reinforced plastic. Will probably be fine but amuminum would be much better.

I also filed a bevel to bottom edge of the catch to aid smooth feeding.

ByronF
November 28, 2016, 14:23
Couldnt abide the mag catch. Lug was way longer than needed to be, causing the catch to stick out way above flush. So I filed down the lug until is was parallel with side of receiver with a mag installed. Then I beveled bottom edge so mag could slide in without pressing the button. Finally, I clipped a coil from the mag catch spring. It was way tighter than necessary. And being plastic, I wanted it no tighter than necessary. It now feels similar to an AR15. Mags slip in easy, click in securely, and drop free with index finger press of the button.

Found enough spare parts to assemble the lower, except for buffer tube assembly. Everything went together easily. BHO uses a screw instead of roll pin. Rear takedown pin detent and spring are held in with set screw. There is a set screw under the grip that I guess is used to take slop out of upper to lower fit. I popped on a Palmetto AR15 upper and there it some rattle. Not as bad as some, not as tight as others.