PDA

View Full Version : Who makes the low end revolvers?

Old Sarge
November 12, 2016, 09:57
Hi All
Who makes the lower end revolvers and which ones are worth having? I know there is Taurus and Rossi. Someone from the Philippines makes one as I recall.

Thanks
Old Sarge

W.E.G.
November 12, 2016, 10:12
Armscor

Rough, but generally functional

flopshot
November 12, 2016, 11:55
I hava a couple Rossi revolvers. Not high count tack drivers but more than adequate house or truck guns.

EPC WN
November 12, 2016, 12:41
My great grandma left me a .32 Rossi snubby. It seems pretty nice. I've never shot it, though.

yellowhand
November 12, 2016, 14:02
Got a Taurus 357 mag with plus 10K round count, still perfectly fine.

Taurus of Brazil has a state of the art facility and have been producing outstanding revolvers for a long time now.

Original equipment was direct from SW, a little rough on production at their beginning, but that was a very long time ago.

On a good day, Taurus could give SW a run for their money on quality out of the box.

Not a PC statement, but got 25 Smiths and a dozen or so Taurus, side by side, Taurus holds its own.

bulletslap
November 12, 2016, 16:01
In my experience Taurus is hit or miss, Rossi a little better, and Charter Arms about the same.

If you want a good wheel gun at a good price look to the used market, quite a few Smiths and Ruger out there worth the money.

Astra made good revolvers, they look a little weird, but they were well made.

Retired Bum
November 12, 2016, 16:09
There is one US make of revolvers that might be considered "low end". That is the current production Charter Arms or whatever they are calling themselves these days.

I remember when the original Charter Arms were introduced about forty years ago. The Undercover .38 Special was size wise about the same as the J frame Smiths. But cheaper made and priced of course. They had the usual problems in the initial production but basically got the bugs worked out. The gun dealers around here sold their fair share of them and especially the .44 Special Bulldog when it was introduced.

If one is one a budget or is looking for a less expensive toolbox or truck gun then maybe a Charter might fill that need.

My own personal experiences with Charter weren't that good. I bought one of the new stainless .44 Bulldogs back about 1980 when they first came out. Decent looking piece but it had quality control problems which soured me on that make. Sold it cheap just to get rid of it.

And so it goes.

The Retired One

deimos22
November 15, 2016, 18:32
you dont have a Colt python then you got nothing.

Retired Bum
November 15, 2016, 19:44
"If you don't have a Colt Python then you got nothing" sez deimos22.

I do have a Python in the safe. Along with about 50 other assorted revolvers. A few Colts and half a dozen Rugers and a bunch of S&W's.

Pythons are okay as long as you baby them because they really are a bit on the fragile side IMHO for heavy duty use. I'll take my L frame Model 686 S&W over the Python any day for heavy loads and a superior double action trigger pull.

Oh well, to each his own.

And so it goes.

The Retired One

raubvogel
November 15, 2016, 20:10
In addition to Taurus, Charter Arms, Rossi, and Armscor, there are also the Weirauch sold by EAA as the Windicator and the Rock Island ones.

hueyville
November 15, 2016, 20:27
I own most every popular brand wheel gun made and even have a Korth multicartridge in the vault purchased when life was good and before their upper models hit $30,000. Even their low end model is a grand now. Add Pythons and other snake guns, Smiths, Dan Wesson, Ruger and more have my fair share. Under seat of my daily driver is a five shot Rossi 44 special and in range vault at work is a Taurus 357 that gets shot weekly and next to my Smith Model 19 range pistol there is virtually no difference. Have a pile of Charter Arms Bulldogs in 44 special and Undercover in 38 Special because are inexpensive and can keep in draws or under throw pillows all around the house.

Unless a pot metal "Saturday night special" $39 pistol from the late 60's or early 70's all brands discussed are fine if know how to pick them. Can pick up three or four of the same model and one will time on every cylinder a little better than the others. An out of time wheelgun will drive you bonkers when that one cylinder or more come up in rotation. If buying used look for bent ejection rods or sprung yokes from Charles Bronson wannabes flipping the cylinders open and closed.

What are you using this gun for? Inexpensive self defense? Charter Arms, Rossi or Taurus are all fine candidates. If want a more multipurpose Taurus and Rossi offer more selection of models. A 4" to 6" 357 in either will cover a lot of uses. Love my little 3" Rossi five shot 44 special. It or a Charter Bulldog with a couple of speed loaders and some practice will make a fine defensive weapon. Wheelguns are generally single purpose at either end of spectrum like a 12" 454 Casull Mag or Smith Model 60 38. A 4" or 6" 357 does most anything could need with practice and correct load. Really like my wheelguns and still use often. The trick to them can be picking a good one or knowing a good wheelgun smith. An old Ron Powers, Jim Stroh, Jim Clark Sr or Jr, six gun is a work of art.

As to low end may I suggest R.J., Raven, Bryco aka Jennings, Lorcin, F.I.E., Llama, Bersa, H&R, Rohm (were they responsible for R.J.?) and if Glock made wheelguns then ...... Sure there has to be some other total losers out there have forgotten. We used to buy used R.J.'s and any pot metal gun at pawn shops under $20 bucks, remove grips, place in vice and pull trigger with string. Seen some spit more of the bullet out the barrel cylinder gap than the muzzle. We had one with a cylinder timed so poorly one chamber dead centered the side of the cone and it busted in a bunch of pieces as it set off rounds in adjacent cylinders. Was amazing how crappy some guns were made back in the 60's. So many name brand polymer wheelguns with MIM lock works showing up now afraid we may reenter that period of time as they start to wear.

Blackmore
November 16, 2016, 09:29
I sent a Charter Arms Pathfinder back to CT twice. After the second time it seemed like it was properly fixed so I had no guilt selling it.

If you have patience and know what to look for there are deals on used first tier revolvers for the same or less than Taurus, Rossi, Charter etc. This Model 10 was $260 shipped to the shop + $15 net to add the Sile grips:

http://i.imgur.com/G7VxHk3.jpg?1

nopec
November 16, 2016, 11:22
Ruger is as "low" as I'd recommend going.

justashooter
November 16, 2016, 14:22
Taurus was known for bad heat treatment, resulting in softer revolvers that would wear out quickly, until about 1988. anything produced by Taurus since then is a close smith clone of just about equal utility.

Retired Bum
November 16, 2016, 17:01
There are no under $300 S&W Model 10's to be found in my locale. The dealers will price them at $350 and up depending on condition. The older pinned barrel models will almost always command a small premium over the newer crush fit barrel models.

Ten years ago I sold off over half a dozen Model 10's and old M&P's. All in .38 Special of course. The going price back then was $250 retail in good condition. I wish I had them back so I could sell them again at today's prices.

And so it goes.

The Retired One

TerryN
November 16, 2016, 17:57
Rossi is part of Taurus, and has been for several years. My limited experience with Taurus is that if you get a good one, be glad. If you don't, don't be too surprised.

Retired Bum
November 16, 2016, 19:30
The problem is that you won't know until you spend your money on that Taurus. If you get a clunker then you are basically stuck with it unless you almost give it away.

Some years ago I was offered a J frame sized Taurus with a four inch barrel and an adjustable rear sight chambered for the .32 H&R Magnum round. I told the owner that I wanted to shoot it first. So he and I went to my club range and I took along 100 rounds of Federal factory loaded 95 grain LSWC ammo. By the third cylinder load the ejector rod had backed out far enough to prevent the cylinder from being opened without tightening it. It shaved lead but not that badly. Accuracy was barely acceptable. The DA trigger pull was heavy and had a lot of grit in it. And this was an almost new gun....

Told the owner no thanks. Later on I acquired a NIB S&W Model 631 stainless steel .32 Magnum Kit Gun. It was everything that the Taurus wasn't. I paid a premium for it but no complaints from me. I know that some Taurus owners love their guns but they must be the lucky ones....

And so it goes.

The Retired One

nvcdl
November 16, 2016, 19:48
I'd spend a bit more and get a shooter S&W or Ruger. They may cost a bit more upfront but appreciate in value. Parts availability and finding a gunsmith who can repair one is a better bet.

Jarhead504
November 16, 2016, 21:19
There are no under $300 S&W Model 10's to be found in my locale. The dealers will price them at $350 and up depending on condition. The older pinned barrel models will almost always command a small premium over the newer crush fit barrel models.

Same here. There are no "cheap" prices on any of the older S &W'S, Colts or Rugers around here. And, by the time they make resale, they look like they were once owned by the Al Quida at Mosul. If I saw a Model 10 for $250 around here, I'd jump on it faster than Hitlery Klinton on a multi-million dollar bribe.

Jarhead

yellowhand
November 16, 2016, 21:26

Ten years ago I sold off over half a dozen Model 10's and old M&P's. All in .38 Special of course. The going price back then was $250 retail in good condition. I wish I had them back so I could sell them again at today's prices.

And so it goes.

The Retired One

I've not kept up with Smith prices, so went looking after seeing your post.
WOW!
J&G sales has these listed.
A Model 19 1980's model, for nearly 800.00????
Is this a mistake, are people really paying that for them?

http://www.jgsales.com/handguns-c-16_211_431.html

I bought four of them, 19's, from J&G, CHP trade ins for 225.00 each, about 15 years ago along with others over the years, but nothing of recent.
Paid 150.00 each for several Model 10's that were turn ins from Hong Kong PD, stamped RHKP on back strap.

These prices amaze me.

Retired Bum
November 17, 2016, 18:56
Yes, Model 19 prices are really getting up there. Just a few years ago I walked into the local Gander Mountain just to have a look around. Spotted a pinned and recessed 19-3 four inch in decent condition priced at $500. Looked it over and out came my DL and credit card. Today that 19-3 would fetch $800-900 easily.

Tucked away in my safe is a crush fit barrel Model 12 K frame Airweight .38 Special with the four inch barrel. Bought it new over 20 years ago and it was a discontinued model at that time. I don't really have all that much use for it and it is in perfect condition complete with box, manual, and tools. I wonder what it would be worth these days.

And so it goes.

The Retired One

yellowhand
November 17, 2016, 19:10
I checked my list of firearms, yea I know, addicted, can stop when I want too.:eek:

Got a couple of Model 25-5's a four incher and the 6.78 or whatever.

With all the rest, guess I'm rich, so drinks on me all around!!!:)

Sagerider
November 17, 2016, 19:17
You have one question and one only. How much is your life worth?
Save your money or go the lay away route and buy something like an older Smith & Wesson or even a Ruger. Taurus is craaaaappppp!

Blackmore
November 17, 2016, 19:24

And so it goes.

The Retired One

Ad from last spring. I guess it's just a matter of right place, right time. $260 mailed to my dealer + $15 net for the grip upgrade.

http://sigforum.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/350601935/m/1040096304?r=2950068304

Scroll down to ***ALL SOLD*** Model 10s.

yellowhand
November 17, 2016, 19:26
Taurus ain't crap, ain't an older Smith, but ain't crap either.:facepalm:

Some folks can only afford a Lorcin (sp) :sad: but they kill folks nearly everyday.

Couple pieces of pipe, shot gun shell, ain't fancy, but gets the job done.:D

easttex
November 17, 2016, 20:57
I love my Model 19 Smith...and my Super Redhawk. Can't comment on any Pythons because I don't know anybody that has one.

Sagerider
November 18, 2016, 04:35
I bought a 9 shot .22 Taurus a few years ago. Shot two cylinders, 18 shots, and took it back where I bought it and traded it in. The part of the lower frame where the cylinder stop is located was literally paper thin. Shot like it had no rifling the pattern was so large at 25 feet. The trigger was horrendously hard to pull in double action mode. Yeah, Taurus revolvers in my opinion and many others I know are crap. Local gunsmiths refuse to work on them because they know they are crap. They are cheaper than a quality made revolver for a reason and that reason is because they are crap.
I do have a Taurus auto copy of the early Beretta and it functions and shoots just fine. This is my second one, the first one was crap. The barrel was so far out of line with the slide it shot two feet low to the left. I sent it back to the factory and they sent it back saying it was within spec. I shimmed the barrel and it shot to point of aim and then sold it cheap because it was crap.
Why I bought another one I have no idea but I did check the barrel to slide alignment first. It sits in the safe way in the back where the sun never shines, unloved, unused and lonely.

yellowhand
November 18, 2016, 11:52
Got a couple of Colt Gold cups, after spending untold amounts of $$$$ on them, they now work.
And this was 1970's $$$$$$.:mad:

Every maker has issues with individual weapons from time to time.

Shit happens.

grumpy1
November 20, 2016, 01:10
While I haven't owned that many revolvers, my rule for buying guns in general is don't settle on a gun just because that's all I could afford to buy. Know what you want or are looking for and spend what it takes to get it. Far to often people feel they have money burning a hole in their pocket when they buy something they later regret buying.

About 10 years ago I traded a Ruger GP100 4 inch stainless for a S& W 19-3. The S&W had sat on the dealer shelf for several months with no takers. The Ruger sod in less than a week. We both got what we wanted in the end. I think that my Ruger would bring about what it sold for 10 years ago, however the 19 has more than doubled in its value.

pre1989
November 22, 2016, 23:49
I use to collect the old ghetto blaster

Never buy a cheep wheel gun I learned ..Some like the German 357 EAA are just rough others like the Rohm well have some fun

Cheep brands I will buy

1. The old H&r and the such the break top guns are fun
2. Older no lock Rossie and Taurus the old Rossi the interarms guns are well made and cheep and they work
3. Charter arms though some years on them sucked so now the years

Old Sarge
November 23, 2016, 22:37
Thanks for the input.

I am working a deal on an Older Tarsus or possibly a Smith M64 right now.

Thanks
Old Sarge

bulletslap
November 24, 2016, 11:30
I have a Model 64 S&W that has given me trouble free service since 1975, and Taurus Model 85 doing the same since 1996.

kev
November 24, 2016, 14:41
I'd never buy a cheap 'new' revolver. As simple as they are in concept, they're quite complicated mechanically and everything has to be just right,.....autos are far better bets as cheapies. The good news is that good quality revolvers can be cheap used, especially as police turn-ins(although they're getting harder and harder to find). Cops been carrying bottom feeders for too long.

Shop the auction sites hard. Over the last couple of years I've been able to pick up some bargains. Quality fixed sight .38's can still be had cheap. If you demand .357 and adjustable sites expect to pay two to three times as much.

I've picked up three nice older Interarms Rossis for well under $200 each(one a .44 Special). At least two dozen Smith .38s all well under $300(that's with shipping and my $20 local dealer transfer fee). Those are mostly M64 ex-guard guns, but also include a couple of Airweights and C&R vintage M&Ps. The older M&Ps and Hand Ejectors go for low bucks if they're not in 'collectible' condition. One pre-war M&P was picked up on my C&R for $250 delivered and I don't believe it has ever been fired, but it has been knocking around in its box for 65yrs. Bluing is box-worn and there's a little poor storage corrosion on it, but it's mechanically a NEW 1940's S&W. The grips are worth what I paid for the gun.

All but one stainless Rossi .38 came from GB(the single Rossi was tagged at $129 at my LGS, so you can see what they thought of it). I don't expect to find any deals at local shops.

My favorite trick is to run a search for ".38 revolver" and specify either S&W or Rossi and used(because that's about all I'll buy). Don't bother looking at 90% of the listings,......just go to the last page and work your way forward. There you'll find the most recent listings and what you're really looking for are Buy Now items from individuals that nobody else has seen yet. These are guns that people are just 'getting out of the house'. That's where you pick up $125 Rossis and $200 S&Ws.

It helps that I prefer some oddball features like DAO, but that's only been an issue with the M64's. I've been adding the wood grips,...they all came with Pach's or Uncle Mikes,....

http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y70/kaveman9/20151116_160347%20Medium_zpswxptyo4n.jpg

The most recent great deal I found, but didn't have the money for, was a lot of 100 4" M64's in normal DA/SA for $20,000 delivered. Buy Now on GB from a known distributor. I'd have bought them if I'd had the cash sitting,.......for $200 apiece.

bulletslap
November 24, 2016, 15:07
So how much for the 3 inch 64 in the picture ? :D

VALMET
November 24, 2016, 15:27
+1 for Charter Arms. I've had one of their .44 Spl Bulldogs for 6 years and like it. That said when it comes to heavier loads and handloads I use my Blackhawk but the Charter Arms has been a good gun for the $ IMO. These days though, for the $350-400 they're bringing I'd likely opt for a S&W snub .38 unless I was dead-set on a .44 (IIRC I paid $300-ish for my Charter Arms in 2010).

Nice group kev

kev
November 24, 2016, 15:39
So how much for the 3 inch 64 in the picture ? :D

That's the ONE that I really had to shop for. All the others were $235 to $250 BN but the three inchers are harder to find and usually go for $500+. I think I gave a tick under $400 for that one but it took me over a year of constant searching to find it.

3" anything has become hot recently. A 3" M66 is a $1500 gun for some reason. That's another place where the Rossi becomes a bargain,....there are many more 3" Rossis than S&W's. I spent a year looking for a bargain M36 in 3" and finally found a decent example for $360 iirc, but both of my Rossi .38's are 3" and the stainless mentioned above was $129 from a local shop and the blue one was $125 BN on GB. They're both very close in quality fit/finish/feel to the S&W at 1/3 the price. Come to think of it, the Rossi .44 Special is a 3" as well and any 3" S&W .44 is $800-900.

bulletslap
November 24, 2016, 16:18
I have been casually looking for a 3 inch Model 65 or 13, and have suffered sticker shock so far.

gordonm1
November 24, 2016, 17:00
Black Friday Deal....

I saw on Dick's Sporting Goods preview a Heritage Arms .22LR revolver for $100.

I won't be getting one but be my guest.

Blackmore
December 06, 2016, 18:36
Centerfire has police trade-in Model 10's for $299.99.

http://www.centerfiresystems.com/p-5512-sw-model-10-38-special-revolver-with-wood-grips-trade-in.aspx

nvcdl
December 06, 2016, 18:57
I have been casually looking for a 3 inch Model 65 or 13, and have suffered sticker shock so far.

Might look at a 2.75" Speed Six - the shooter grade ones go for reasonable prices.

Bawana jim
December 06, 2016, 22:47
About as low end as you can get new....

https://www.budsgunshop.com/catalog/index.php/cPath/2084_21_577/Heritage/

Sagerider
December 07, 2016, 16:00
Centerfire has police trade-in Model 10's for $299.99.

http://www.centerfiresystems.com/p-5512-sw-model-10-38-special-revolver-with-wood-grips-trade-in.aspx

This one made me jump! Look a little deeper at -

http://www.centerfiresystems.com/p-5513-sw-model-10-38-special-p-revolver-with-rubber-grips-trade-in.aspx

Rubber grips and +P same money $299.99. Hard to beat this.

Blackmore
December 07, 2016, 18:57
This one made me jump! Look a little deeper at -

http://www.centerfiresystems.com/p-5513-sw-model-10-38-special-p-revolver-with-rubber-grips-trade-in.aspx

Rubber grips and +P same money $299.99. Hard to beat this.

I saw that one, too. Should have posted both links. IIRC, any 10-8 or newer, wood or rubber grips is +P.

geno929
January 01, 2017, 17:02
Just a thought, but I picked up a nice S&W model 10-6 today for $300. Great shooter. Solid and will retain value. Could be a better option for the money.

littlehoot
January 01, 2017, 21:22
Another +1 for the windicator. Well built reasonable accuracy, relatively inexpensive.

Rough edges is the only real detrimental factor.

BUFF
January 02, 2017, 03:04
People get confused about the connection of Taurus and Smith & Wesson, largely because their double action medium and small frame revolvers look similar.

The only real connection is that both companies were owned by a holding company called Banger Punta at one time. Banger Punta owned S&W from 1965 to about 1985 when another holding company named Lear Sigler bought B. P. A couple of years after that, Lear Sigler was bought by Thompson plc, the British holding company. No, Taurus did not get their machinery or technical information from S&W. If you pull the sideplates off of one of each, you can see how different the action's mechanisms are.

Charter Arms' revolvers were designed to sell at a price point about 25% lower than S&W, Colt and Ruger. I've had 2 of their .44 Special Bulldogs and 1 of their .38 Special Undercovers. which is sized like the S&W 5 shot snub. I bought the first .44 in 1976. Charter intended their guns to be shot with ammo loaded to ammo company specs, which are really mild in .44 Special. I ignored their advice and handloaded my ammo to pressures suited for bigger, stronger Colt and S&W handguns. It beat the Charter up pretty bad, stretching the top strap and pounding a crater around the bolt face in the frame. All my fault. I've used better judgment with the other one, also bought about 1976, and it's fine. The little .38 hasn't been shot much and it is okay.

Yes, it is amazing how much the prices for S&W and Colt revolvers have escalated.

jhend170
January 04, 2017, 10:32
"If you don't have a Colt Python then you got nothing" sez deimos22.

I do have a Python in the safe. Along with about 50 other assorted revolvers. A few Colts and half a dozen Rugers and a bunch of S&W's.

Pythons are okay as long as you baby them because they really are a bit on the fragile side IMHO for heavy duty use. I'll take my L frame Model 686 S&W over the Python any day for heavy loads and a superior double action trigger pull.

Oh well, to each his own.

And so it goes.

The Retired One

If you have a (original) Python what you've got is a collector's piece that you can sell and buy 3 or 4 686 pluses, in all the barrel lengths, and ammo, and actually enjoy without worrying about affecting the value.

Had a trigger job done on my already decent 686+, and it's by far the sweetest shooting wheel gun I own, in double AND single action. Trigger rivals my 700 that has been professionally tuned, and that's saying something.

jhend170
January 04, 2017, 10:47
To address the OP though I like Taurus wheel guns. I have a 44sp I carry regularly, had a trigger job done on it as well, and it's as nice as my Redhawk with a trigger job on it.

I've owned several Rossis and they can be cleaned up nicely as well, especially now that they are a Taurus product. Only problem I've had was the Rossi still used the classic hammer nose vs transfer bar/firing pin and the nose broke, but older parts for a Taurus 85 fit it exactly and it made for a nice little piece.

Looking at them I'm guessing that the current Rossi design is the old Taurus 85, as the hammer nose setup is cheaper and easier to produce than the transfer-bar design of the current Taurus is.

As for the Smith & Wesson relationship the above story is right. Like Benz and Chrysler though, there were some design elements that went both ways. A lot of folks get the Smith story mixed up with the Beretta story though, where Taurus DID buy all the equipment and everything associated with the model 92 Beretta was making for the Brazilian military at the time. This is where the PT 92 came from, and is one of the few Taurus autos I trust.

Brother Wayne
January 04, 2017, 22:44
Hello,
I would like to chime in if I may. The Taurus 85 is a great little revolver at a modest price. I have now owned 3 of them in 38 spl and rated for +P. They have all been stainless versions. I liked them so well that I gave each of my daughters one when they turned 21. They shoot tight groups with my cast handloads or 125gr JHP loads at 25 yards. They will also hit a 100 yard gong multiple times in a row and piss my brother off and make him buy me beer on a bet. I went with stainless for the girls because they keep their homes clean enough to eat off the floors but won't clean their damn weapons. Now here is the main reason. Woman for the most part don't like to and won't drill with their pistols. We do it and call it practice but in real life we do it for fun! If things turn to crap and they must be able to protect themselves, all they (my daughters and yours) have to do is point to center of mass and squeeze until the threat is no longer moving. With a revolver the spent brass won't stove pipe and the magazine won't ever not be all the way in because it doesn't have one.

19&41
January 17, 2017, 13:59
Have a look at the model 10 and 64's at J&G sales. They are my favorite pistol brand, S&W used. and they are high end revolvers at low end prices.

Snake Bitten
January 23, 2017, 17:47
Hello,
I would like to chime in if I may. The Taurus 85 is a great little revolver at a modest price. I have now owned 3 of them in 38 spl and rated for +P. They have all been stainless versions. I liked them so well that I gave each of my daughters one when they turned 21. They shoot tight groups with my cast handloads or 125gr JHP loads at 25 yards. They will also hit a 100 yard gong multiple times in a row and piss my brother off and make him buy me beer on a bet. I went with stainless for the girls because they keep their homes clean enough to eat off the floors but won't clean their damn weapons. Now here is the main reason. Woman for the most part don't like to and won't drill with their pistols. We do it and call it practice but in real life we do it for fun! If things turn to crap and they must be able to protect themselves, all they (my daughters and yours) have to do is point to center of mass and squeeze until the threat is no longer moving. With a revolver the spent brass won't stove pipe and the magazine won't ever not be all the way in because it doesn't have one.
Agree, Taurus model 85 is a nice revolver for the $$. I have the stainless model, but Academy Sports carry's the blue model, if you want to check them out. SB