PDA

View Full Version : Good day........new 1911

01BIRDDOG
November 10, 2016, 18:07
What could be better...........election return, Marine Corps Birthday and finding this 1950 commercial Colt 1911. I can trace it back to day one also. Finish is due to my "over oiling" habit.

http://oi63.tinypic.com/vwws44.jpg

nwobhm
November 10, 2016, 18:32
:bow:

Invictus77
November 10, 2016, 18:39
Wow. I would really brag on it and even call it beautiful if I were a 1911/45 fan :whistling:

:love:

VALMET
November 10, 2016, 18:57
Gorgeous 1911- congrats! The vintage Colts are particularly sweet

TenTea
November 10, 2016, 19:23
w00t!

If the grip scales are original, they don't seem to show the dreaded shrinkage. :biggrin:

She's a real beaut.

MAINER
November 10, 2016, 19:45
Good fortune has shat upon you. :love:

While I am somewhat jellis, those sights would be a real bummer for me. :(

Tuhlmann
November 10, 2016, 22:46
Dang man! How in the heck do you hold on to that thing with all that Crisco on it?!?

1911Ron
November 11, 2016, 09:27
Wow :bow::bow: Very very nice congrats!

MACV
November 23, 2016, 00:14
Beautiful pistol Dog.

SPEEDGUNNER
November 23, 2016, 07:01
A good day indeed...

idsubgun
November 24, 2016, 12:26
Good fortune has shat upon you. :love:

While I am somewhat jellis, those sights would be a real bummer for me. :(

I'm with you! I have a few with the standard sights and I don't like them. I can't see them very well. Thankfully the 1911 is a great point and shoot at close range!
Except for my Remington Rand, I plan on changing them all out with Novak sights. I can see those!

Nice score, 01BIRDDOG! Looks like a WWII 1911, except for no lanyard loop.

Jarhead504
November 25, 2016, 22:01
I'm with you! I have a few with the standard sights and I don't like them. I can't see them very well. Thankfully the 1911 is a great point and shoot at close range!
Except for my Remington Rand, I plan on changing them all out with Novak sights. I can see those!

I like higher sights on a 1911 too. Thanks on the heads up with athe NOVAKS.

Jarhead

idsubgun
November 25, 2016, 22:58

Jarhead

I wouldn't put Novak sights on this pistol because they require machine work. And that would lower the value of this pistol.

I think there are direct replacement sights out there that are taller then factory. You might find something like that. The front sight will need to be staked in place, and the original wouldn't be any good, but you can find the same front sight as the original if you ever want to put it back to factory specs.

01BIRDDOG
November 26, 2016, 13:55

Jarhead

I like "Hot Rod" 45's also and this one believe it or not, falls in the Union Switch & Signal range according to this publication shown. I however think it just missed the numbers and is in fact a Remington Rand. Built at the time to be a clone of a Marine Corps .45 and i even rounded up the correct "Dawson Rail" along with the built for this rail Surefire light. These are the tall sight you speak of and work well i think.

http://oi68.tinypic.com/2yn09ph.jpg

hueyville
November 26, 2016, 22:47
Lament almost daily the number of classic original Colts have modified over the years. In the late 70's through 80's were not the rare birds they are now and made perfect chassis to build hotrod 45's on as many of the clones of the day were made from questionable materials. More than once went into a gun shop, purchased a brand new Colt 1911 and before fired first round took it or shipped to a smith for cus to build. Full IPSC unlimited race guns, limited class, custom carries with edges melted till smooth as a well used bar of soap to long slides with A2 conversion with Lippard Long Range kit done. Was always a hoot to snake out a 1911 on the 100 yard rifle range and shoot smaller groups than the deer hunters sighting in their hunting rifles. Bifocals have made that more difficult along with deer hunters buying military sniper rifles.

Have three projects in mind now and deciding which frame to build is holding up every project. Smart money says start with an STI 2011 but I ain't that smart. Like my guns skinny just like girls. While have several Hi Powers and SIG 2022's they are either collectable or beat the crap out of duty guns. Leaning toward a Model 80 Colt in 9x23 (bastard up another collectable), Colt 10mm or push major through a 9x19 pistol making sure the ammo is well maked so doesn't get run in a gun not built for such abuse. Seems to be becoming popular and once fired 9mm is so cheap can leave on ground once stretch to limits once or twice.

Other two will likely be a Colt Officers Model with carry comp and a SIG 4.2" Nightmare Fastbackwith with some type of porting. Tryng to fIll some carry gaps and have a race ready pistol to preserve some of the artwork built when the popular custom houses pistols were crafted buy the man who's name is on them personally. Reason been buying so many SIG 1911's lately as nice guns out of the box and plentiful enough modifying them is not destroying a classic that can never be made stock again. Did step outside the box and bought an HK 9mm for wife to use with the Osprey suppressor.

ICOM7800
December 02, 2016, 18:54
I like "Hot Rod" 45's also and this one believe it or not, falls in the Union Switch & Signal range according to this publication shown. I however think it just missed the numbers and is in fact a Remington Rand. Built at the time to be a clone of a Marine Corps .45 and i even rounded up the correct "Dawson Rail" along with the built for this rail Surefire light. These are the tall sight you speak of and work well i think.

http://oi68.tinypic.com/2yn09ph.jpg

That Pistol is forever ruined, what a shame.

Wildcat
December 03, 2016, 01:18
That Pistol is forever ruined, what a shame.

Um...only if it doesn't work anymore is it truly ruined.

I definitely would not have added the bayonet lug, but then it is not my pistol.

At least this way, perhaps, that Colt may accompany someone to the range for a bit of exercise instead of languishing deep in the dark recesses of a safe only to be admired, merely as a piece of fine art, on the rare occasion that its existence comes to mind; usually when the owner is searching for something else.

If the owner doesn't shoot it, then yes, a shame.

01BIRDDOG
December 03, 2016, 10:07
Um...only if it doesn't work anymore is it truly ruined.

I definitely would not have added the bayonet lug, but then it is not my pistol.

At least this way, perhaps, that Colt may accompany someone to the range for a bit of exercise instead of languishing deep in the dark recesses of a safe only to be admired, merely as a piece of fine art, on the rare occasion that its existence comes to mind; usually when the owner is searching for something else.

If the owner doesn't shoot it, then yes, a shame.

You can be sure of one thing that being this pistol is shot to death. It is in a Galco I.W.B. holster even as we speak and is leaving for the day with me......It had some alterations when i got it so was a natural for a build. The "Dawson" rail along with the Surefire light made for such was used on some Marine Corps pistols built such as this. This for sure is not gospel but as i received the information. I do know that the rail and light were harder to find than a unaltered,dated original Israeli light barrel. There is a holster made for this and has a NSN number on it also. One thing for sure i would NEVER dehorn a U.S.Property 1911/1911A1 pistol that was in original condition........Hurts my feelings that someone would think i might do this. Kind of like hurting your dog.

TenTea
December 03, 2016, 10:54
You can be sure of one thing that being this pistol is shot to death.

I think your hotrod 45 is fantastic, and even better you carry and shoot it regularly. :D

Purists and collectors cringe when anyone messes with a USGI pistol, but it has been done for nigh on a hundred years now and there are heaps of them out there.

At least it wasn't fed to Captain Crunch (tm)!

Pluribus
December 03, 2016, 20:20
Very nice Commercial 1911A1

:shades: