PDA

View Full Version : My plan for light weight AK

chino*74
November 09, 2016, 20:46
I am going to be looking into an AK Underfolder., my goal is to keep it as minimal as possible while adding a small RD & possibly a tactical light.

My current Saiga AKM is set along the same lines however I am looking for a 2nd AK that is more portable & can be slung & carried slightly easier.

Now I have an Ultramak rail on the Saiga & have no complaints, keeping it as is. For the UF I am considering a possible smaller rail that does not necessitate a propriety gas tube or the inherent inability to easily change out the gas tube or foregrips etc as the Ultramak mounting hardware make this somewhat impractical.

I saw somewhere a rail that mounts as the rear sight assembly would & replaces the standard rear sight assembly., enough of a pic rail for a RD mount. Anyone can point me in the right direction on that?

Also general recommendations regarding recommended AK UF manufacturers. I read the Hi Point / Interarms R supposed to be pretty good for the price, Polish of course., 7.63x.39 cal. I want compatable with my current ammo stock. Any input appreciated. what say ye all?

BTW I am left handed, not interested in a side folder at all. I understand the inherent disadvantages on an Underfolder as well. So we don't need to go there. Finally I will also have to either use a single point sling mount bracket or reverse the sling attachments for left handed use as well. Can the folder assembly be reversed so that the rear sling attachment is on the opposite side of the mechanism?

W.E.G.
November 09, 2016, 22:10
A "regular" AK is already a really small rifle.

You make it any smaller, it becomes just about a pistol.

The "Krinkov" style comes to mind. In which case it will be a SBR.
And that's fine if you don't mind the bullshit that comes with SBR and law.

With the election results the AK pistols should be obtainable for less than 5 bills.
Doll it up to suit you.
Pay the ATF fee if you really think you need a buttstock on a pistol.
For rifles fired on a pistol range, the simple sling attached to a screw-eye on the back of the "pistol" gives enough stabilization for minute of man accuracy. Saves money, saves weight, very compact, and avoids having to be pen-pals with the feds.

That said, if its actually a rifle, I would rather it handle like a real rifle rather than some sand-ninja contraption.

W.E.G.
November 09, 2016, 22:12
This sort of thing.

I'm sure muzzle blast is holy hell.

http://i1006.photobucket.com/albums/af189/dj_leisure/IMG_8387.jpg

chino*74
November 09, 2016, 22:46
Well appreciate that. Not considering a SBR at this time., will keep 16" with the brake attached. I am interested in the UF for portability & carry ease. I am not lookin at a mall ninja conglomeration of crap on a SBR.

Eyeguy
November 10, 2016, 00:31
Classic has a Hungarian AMD side folder for $549. Hungarian kit, new US made barrel and Tapco trigger. They're out of stock on their Yugo M70 under folder. Last price on that AK was $589

chino*74
November 10, 2016, 01:00
'Classic'? Is that an importer / seller / manufacturer?

Eyeguy
November 10, 2016, 01:36
Classic Firearms.

https://www.classicfirearms.com/amd-65-7-62x39-rifle-with-side-fold-stock-and-black-poly-pistol-grips

slavicshooter
November 10, 2016, 13:59
You will have to inquire about an underfolder build.~ssİ

http://jemakfirearms.com/products/

slavicshooter
November 10, 2016, 15:28
chino*74, is this what you had in mind?~ssİ

http://www.strikeindustries.com/shop/index.php/products/rifle-accessories/ak/ak-rear-sight-rail-for-low-profile-red-dot-optics.html

pre1989
November 10, 2016, 20:06
The two best choice for a non NFA non Pistol build ak

Either the classic AMD65 clone or better option is the org AMD65 build ie the FEGSA2000 builds just make sure they are the double stack model ( they were brought in single stack and converted ) .. They are more correct ie a pined and welded barel not a 16inch barrel with the break on it ..They were tanker guns

Or a UF ak either a DDI when they come out or a NPAP UF or a WSAR10/63 or a Arsnal UF

Just make sure the sights are straight and the bolt is smoth and mag well is good and tight before you take it home

Or check out Alentic Firearms they check most of the them over pre shipping

This is what a correct AMD65 should look it for USA import (ie at 16inch ) http://www.dpasinc.com/resources/AMD65.jpg

chino*74
November 10, 2016, 22:56
I am considering the AMD65, Classic has available very reasonably priced too. Yes Slavicshooter that is the rear sight rail, real some reviews they do not seem that great at least from what I read.

Any opinions on the AMD65 from Classic? Even though I was not considering a side folder the crutch stock seems doable for me. Also still considering an Underfolder, I thought the Yugos were said to be somewhat heavy & non-standard for some AK parts interchange but I am not sure if I heard that right.

Still contemplating but leaning towards the AMD65 in some form. I would prefer 922 compliant out of the box however., so I need to consider that.

pre1989
November 12, 2016, 15:21
I am considering the AMD65, Classic has available very reasonably priced too. Yes Slavicshooter that is the rear sight rail, real some reviews they do not seem that great at least from what I read.

Any opinions on the AMD65 from Classic? Even though I was not considering a side folder the crutch stock seems doable for me. Also still considering an Underfolder, I thought the Yugos were said to be somewhat heavy & non-standard for some AK parts interchange but I am not sure if I heard that right.

Still contemplating but leaning towards the AMD65 in some form. I would prefer 922 compliant out of the box however., so I need to consider that.

Any of the converted AMD65 will be 922r oked out of the box either Classic or the older ones . The AMD65 ones from Classic are not to bad with the org Feg reciver the barrel is not right on them ie a 16inch barrel with that break it should be 14inch or so with a welded break but the guns at least work

Yes any Yugo gun wont take normal handguards or stocks ...But they are people who make them .

Guy-epic
November 12, 2016, 16:37
So I kinda got into the AK thing a little late, with that said my best option when I started was the AMD 65's. I have built them, and other AKM's. I have found that the AMD 65 maybe one of the best versital option in some ways, I know this is my oppinion and there is no factual best AKM to be honest. I would buy a kit and either build it the way you want, or have it built to your needs. My favorite is a AMD65 that I welded the muzzle device to get length, and not have to do the SBR stamp. I swapped out the factory rear trunion so I could use either a wood stock, or any side folder that works with a standard trunion. You can also use a UF trunion and go that route, likely starting with a UF receiver. With a little work you can you and wood up front, or if you are liking the AMD 65 front vertical grip, but don't like the harder magazine changes I have a trick for that. You take the metal lower front guard that the front grip attaches to and cut out a square hole as far foreword as you can go, and if you want to weld up the old hole, grind sand and paint it. This makes it look original, yet makes it so you can easily swap out 30-40 round magazines with no interference at all. I have a all original AMD 65 from FEG that wasn't a single stack conversion, a custom one I described, a pistol, and a odd ball in the works as we speak. They are very fun, and have nice parts to work with. My next one and likely last one is going to be a odd duck! It will be a SVD knock off made off a AMD 65 kit that has a custom gas block so I can use it as a bolt action rifle, and a silencer. Custome made heavy barrel, maybe a milled receiver, and some other things I am working out. I just want to see if I can make a accurate AKM that is portable, and serves my wants. Cheers.

Guy-epic
November 12, 2016, 16:40
Oh as for the rear sight scope mounts? I have tried the two that people claimed were the best? I hated them and have taken them off and sold them. I hated them, and I will be using a scope mount that is fitted to the side of the receiver likely on my bastardized SVDish AKM

chino*74
November 12, 2016, 23:06
OK leaning heavily towards AMD65., I have one in my sights right now, we shall see if that pans out or not. AS for the rear pic rail or mod, eh, doesn't look like a good solution is coming to mind., might just keep the AMD bone stock for now.

I only plan on running tanker mags on the AMD, one in the gun & 4 in the vest give me 100 rounds of AK fodder, should suffice. Or if too much load out I will just carry 2 spare instead of 4.

Now have to figure out best option for left handed carry, either a single point or a mod someplace.

Sagerider
November 12, 2016, 23:49
Get a VZ58 and live happily ever after.

juanni
November 13, 2016, 11:14
I only plan on running tanker mags on the AMD, one in the gun & 4 in the vest give me 100 rounds of AK fodder, should suffice. Or if too much load out I will just carry 2 spare instead of 4.

I like the AMD, but realistically with that vest, 5 mags and gun,, how much weight percentage wise are you saving vs any other AK47 version?

If you want to go light, go AK74. ;)

..............juanni

chino*74
November 13, 2016, 12:04
I dunno but 4 tanker 20 rounders weigh less than 4 standard 30 rounders, my math is that good.

Guy-epic
November 13, 2016, 12:25
I dunno but 4 tanker 20 rounders weigh less than 4 standard 30 rounders, my math is that good.

I would convert it to accept the 40 rounders as it's easy to do, and as I do keep a 40 in it, and the carry 2 40 rounders with options for another two 40 rounders which with my mah is lighter and less mag changes 5 40's is 200 rounds

chino*74
November 13, 2016, 14:55
Yup it is easy enough to relocate the FG a bit but I am not interested. The whole purpose of this set up is to maintain a somewhat lighter configuration & I am comfortable using the tanker mags. So this is not an issue for me personally. I would prefer more maneuverability, ability to go prone., carry weight, close quarters etc.

nopec
November 13, 2016, 20:06
My lightweight amd65 retains the original rear grip and metal fore end. But I made a horizontal grip for the front end. I added meprolight tritium sights. The biggest piece of low hanging fruit is the muzzle brake. I want to turn it down to match the barrel diameter or find something else lighter.

chino*74
November 13, 2016, 21:32
Interesting regarding the Foregrip redone as a horizontal., had not considered that. That's something I might explore. Thanks. I will also have to look a basic tact. light mount should be easy to do, something light on the fore-end could be mod'd up w ease.

chino*74
November 20, 2016, 21:17
Got an AMD-65 on the way & almost a steal price w 6 Hungarian tanker mags thrown in to boot. I will post after I get it.