PDA

View Full Version : CZ 805 Bren S1 carbine

Genetically Swiss
November 06, 2016, 14:57
I am looking at getting an up to date SHTF carbine. Ever since my days in the service, many moons ago, when we were still using the M-16A1's, to todays most recent high speed iterations of the M4, I have never liked the AR platform.

Having said all that, I am now looking at two non-AR 5.56x45mm carbines that allow for maximum flexibility. At this point, I have narrowed it down to the SCAR 16S and the CZ 805 Bren S1. Both carbines have much in common (save price) and both perform quite well, according to the vast majority of reviews and reports. I have fired the SCAR 16S, but not the CZ. I have held the CZ. It is a tad heavier than the SCAR, but the difference is inconsequential.

So, my question to you guys is, are you familiar with either weapon (particularly the CZ) and what is your opinion of it? I own a number of CZ's and FN's and have no issue with either company.

Thanks! :bow:

GS

Thorack
November 06, 2016, 18:41
Well,

I looked at all the reviews and the fact that you cant/arent supposed to take the bolt out or it could destroy the rifle killed any desire for me. The problem has been fixed on the Czech service rifle but not on the civilian models.

Thorack

Genetically Swiss
November 06, 2016, 18:57
Hey Thorack,

I had not seen that, but like you, that is a non-starter for me. :facepalm: Thanks.

GS

SPEEDGUNNER
November 06, 2016, 19:30
Not so sure about the proprietary mags for the CZ, I know they make an adaptor but is it really worth it?

aussiedave
November 06, 2016, 22:13
Not so sure about the proprietary mags for the CZ, I know they make an adaptor but is it really worth it?

the CZ is STANAG mag , it does not have a proprietary mag...

Bubacus
November 07, 2016, 06:36
This is a pretty extensive review that talks a bit about the bolt issue. He takes his appart:

<iframe width="854" height="480" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/rnl3MjV12-A" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Combloc
November 07, 2016, 18:06

I have one set up each way. It's not really an adaptor per se but more an option. The design of the rifle is modular so that CZ can supply the rifle in various configurations depending on who is buying it and their requirements. As such, the magazine well can be switched out depending on the magazine to be used. I like the original Czech military magazine arrangement (which is basically a copy of the G36) for authenticity but the STANAG design works better. With the original, you rock the magazine forward like an AK. The magazine has a ridge molded around it that fits tight to the mag well in order to keep dirt out of the action. It all locks together to snugly that magazine changes are somewhat difficult with the bolt forward. It's easier to remove the magazine with the bolt locked open but it's still nowhere near as fluid as the STANAG setup. That's not to say that the original design is poor, just that the STANAG is, IMO, better.

BTW, the proprietary translucent Czech polymers are quite beefy and built like tanks. There is no way you are going to destroy one through normal use.

wanneroo
November 07, 2016, 21:26
Looks good to me but the Czech military is already buying the product improved Bren 806 so I can wait until that comes someday unless I get a ripping deal on the 805.

cowbilly
November 24, 2016, 14:26
I have one and you can take out the bolt without hurting anything, it is just not a simple pin/carter pin set up, a roll pin punch is necessary. CZ's reasoning is that it would never really need cleaning but I would beg to differ. It is a clean running rifle but I like to be able to fully assemble with ease. That being said, I have not had any issues with mine, it is nice quality, good accuracy, easy shooter. I do like the stock set up better on the 806 just looking at them, hopefully those will be available soon.

Barbcue
December 28, 2016, 20:34
Arguably the most Robust, durable and highest quality "looking and feeling" black rifle ive ever owned.

The thing drips quality. I like so much i want another one..

Thorack
December 29, 2016, 09:55
Well,

Just read that CZ USA says the BREN 806 (Product Improved) current Czech service rifle will be available in the US to LE/MIL in 2017 with a civilian version in hopefully in 2018.

WOOHOO!!!

Thorack

rbgonoles
December 29, 2016, 10:07
That's exciting. I was hoping for 2017 since hildebeast is out of the picture. 2018 it is.

Near Sighted Sniper
December 29, 2016, 19:11
I LOVE everything CZ.
I fired my buddies SCAR & was unimpressed, especially with the stock.
I went and bought a Bushmaster ACR & really like it.
When the improved CZ Bren 806 is released I will probably buy one of those

I know, I didn't really help. Sorry

ALL FAL
December 31, 2016, 03:49
.30 cal Man Want.