PDA

View Full Version : When size matters

raubvogel
November 05, 2016, 07:53
Someone I know wants to teach me skeet shooting. My 870 came with a 20" barrel and I have been told you want longer. But, how longer? I have seen 26 and 28in barrels for it for sale right now; what difference does 2" make all else equal (both threaded for chokes)?

L Haney
November 05, 2016, 08:00
20" is just fine for skeet. Trap is another ball game.

bulletslap
November 05, 2016, 10:43
It depends on what works best for you, I would start with a 26 inch barrel, luckily you a have 870 with a whole lot of choices available at a reasonable price.

fnogger
November 05, 2016, 10:50
The one thing that most shooters of moving targets do is pull hte trigger and stop moving the barrel(s) along the target path. A longer barrel gives you that little bit of more weight and momentum way out front, making it easier to follow through with the swing. This is most important on the middle 3 stations (3,4 and 5) when shooting skeet.

That said, as long as you are aware of it a short barrel does fine. While I shoot a 20ga O/U (26" barrel, screw in chokes) for skeet now the only barrel/pattern related issue I had with a 18.75" no choke barrel (cut down from 28") on my Mossy 500 was that when shooting the doubles on #1 and #7 I would often get both birds with one shot. That short barrel and incredibly wide pattern (24 inches plus at 15 yards) also made station #8 real easy :)

L Haney
November 05, 2016, 11:07
...when shooting the doubles on #1 and #7 I would often get both birds with one shot. :)

Yeah baby! You shoot it clean with 23 shots and some folks just lose their minds.

RG Coburn
November 07, 2016, 19:52
My understanding is,that they are trending towards 26 inch barrels because all of the energy of the powder charge is utilized in that 26 inches,and that anything longer,the shot is basically "coasting". I still have a 30 inch from an older 870,full choke. Don't use it at all.

djfin
November 08, 2016, 14:17
Yeah baby! You shoot it clean with 23 shots and some folks just lose their minds.

It is not possible to "shoot clean" with 23 shots. In skeet shooting hitting two clays with one shot is a Dead pair.

L Haney
November 08, 2016, 16:30
In skeet shooting hitting two clays with one shot is a Dead pair.

Didn't know that! How is a dead pair scored?

fnogger
November 09, 2016, 08:26
Didn't know that! How is a dead pair scored?

It isn't. Shooter back on station, call for a fresh pair when ready.

If you are dirt broke like I was/am (which is why I shot skeet wtih a Mossy 500!) you hoped that you got one of those boxes of shotgun shells with a few more rounds in it than the normal 25. That or you end up with a partial box of ammo floating around in your range bag, a few rounds in your vest, maybe a few in your speed feed stock, etc. Once while shootign wtih a bunch of 410 and 28ga shooters I had to run inside the club house and crank 3 rounds out of the reloading press (set up for member use) to finish a round.

lew
November 09, 2016, 11:45
My Benelli Nova has a 26" barrel, which I think is perfect for shotgun sports- hunting, trap, skeet. Not so good for CQB, but I don't plan on engaging in such activities. If I do, I have more suitable options. I believe that stock fit is more important that +/- a few inches in barrel length when it comes to swinging and pointing the gun.