PDA

View Full Version : M14 serial #

James champney
November 01, 2016, 11:28
What's the lowest serial numbers you guys have seen. A while ago I saw there was a list being put together but I can't remember where I saw it

gentlemanjoe
November 01, 2016, 11:37
Are you referring to the M14 or the M1A?

If you are referring to the M1A I have a Springfield NM with a serial #00021XX. They are referred to as Devine, Tx. M1A's I changed the stock out to keep from boogering up the original glass bedded stock.

http://i1202.photobucket.com/albums/bb376/asmcjoe/IMG_1327.jpg (http://s1202.photobucket.com/user/asmcjoe/media/IMG_1327.jpg.html)

http://i1202.photobucket.com/albums/bb376/asmcjoe/IMG_1328.jpg (http://s1202.photobucket.com/user/asmcjoe/media/IMG_1328.jpg.html)

James champney
November 01, 2016, 11:44
M1A that's correct my apologies. I have a m1 garande stamped springfield armory m1a, and an m14 stamped the same. What does Devine entail...

ArtBanks
November 01, 2016, 12:08
http://i1180.photobucket.com/albums/x413/nf1e/IMG_0459_zpsnmathd30.jpg (http://s1180.photobucket.com/user/nf1e/media/IMG_0459_zpsnmathd30.jpg.html)

ServiceRifle
November 01, 2016, 12:15
M1A that's correct my apologies. I have a m1 garande stamped springfield armory m1a, and an m14 stamped the same. What does Devine entail...

Elmer Balance in Texas basically created the SEMI AUTOMATIC M14 receiver in the early 70s in Devine Texas. He is the FATHER of the M1A. He made and sold receivers and complete rifles. His production churned out about 2,400 to 2,500 rifles/receivers before the company was sold. Complete rifles built in Devine Texas (and correctly marked) are basically the holy grail of M1As. But all of his receivers are prized and referred to as Devines.

He sold out somewhere in the mid to late 70s to the people who would continue on as the company Springfield Armory - who are in business today making Springfield Armory M1A (which I believe are approaching SN 300,000). So basically Devines were the first semi auto M14 type rifles produced in quantity and sold to the civilian US market. A Devine built rifle with the correct barrel markings will sell upwards of $3,000 or more.

SPEEDGUNNER
November 01, 2016, 14:52
How is this?

https://im1.shutterfly.com/media/47b7cf31b3127ccec2c08d631f8400000010O00EZtGzNq4cMQ e3nws/cC/f%3D0/ls%3D00108853604320071110180802335.JPG/ps%3D50/r%3D0/rx%3D720/ry%3D480/

James champney
November 01, 2016, 19:57
I cannot figure out how to puthe pictures from my phone on here yet so as soon as I figure it out I'll post some

ray55classic
November 01, 2016, 22:38
Elmer Balance in Texas basically created the SEMI AUTOMATIC M14 receiver in the early 70s in Devine Texas. He is the FATHER of the M1A. He made and sold receivers and complete rifles. His production churned out about 2,400 to 2,500 rifles/receivers before the company was sold. Complete rifles built in Devine Texas (and correctly marked) are basically the holy grail of M1As. But all of his receivers are prized and referred to as Devines.

He sold out somewhere in the mid to late 70s to the people who would continue on as the company Springfield Armory - who are in business today making Springfield Armory M1A (which I believe are approaching SN 300,000). So basically Devines were the first semi auto M14 type rifles produced in quantity and sold to the civilian US market. A Devine built rifle with the correct barrel markings will sell upwards of $3,000 or more.

Mr Ballance sold the company and rights to the M1A in 1974 to Bob Reese who started production in Geneseo Ill. later that same year .
In about 1985' upon Bob's retirement the company was taken over by his sons ,Tom & Dennis Reese who remain to this day. [AFAIK]

Grey-Syracuse made the receiver castings used on virtually all the M1A's including the Devine's and Radium Way marked rifles until mid 1996 [possibly until early 1997'].
The Grey -Syracuse receiver castings were then machined by master machinist Melvin Smith the owner of Valley Ordinance until his death in 1996 .
Melvin upon completing those receivers in Wilkes Barre PA, shipped them to Geneseo Ill. where they were assembled by SAI's staff of armorers.

BTW I have owned my 2 current M1A's since they were new, a 1988 Model MA9108 [which is a factory built M1A E-2] , serial # 49***
and a 1991 M1A SportMaster [a special edition & one of only 278 made.] serial # SM00**

The current M1A production is well over 350,000 rifles produced dwarfing the production #'s of all the other M14 clone manufacturers put together,
Their Customer Service is the bar none the best in the industry it doesn't matter if your the 1st owner or the 15th they'll honor their lifetime warranty.
The rifles produced before 1/1/1993 were sold with a 1 yr limited warranty, SAI retroactively covers these earlier rifles with the later warranty ,
an act unheard of in any other industry .

Speed Gunners fine rifle above [in post #6] is from the very 1st year of M1A production , 1972 , it's one of the earliest I've seen. I'm envious, that's too cool !
The other Devine and the 2 Bula M21's above are pretty cherry too !

I'm not trying to appear to be a sage , Lord knows I'm not , I've read Different's book a couple times , have a pretty good memory ,
I've been owning & shooting them & studying everything I could find on them since the late 70's ,
and I still don't know very much .

AliYahu
November 02, 2016, 01:09
Mr Ballance sold the company and rights to the M1A in 1974 to Bob Reese who started production in Geneseo Ill. later that same year .
In about 1985' upon Bob's retirement the company was taken over by his sons ,Tom & Dennis Reese who remain to this day. [AFAIK]

Grey-Syracuse made the receiver castings used on virtually all the M1A's including the Devine's and Radium Way marked rifles until mid 1996 [possibly until early 1997'].
The Grey -Syracuse receiver castings were then machined by master machinist Melvin Smith the owner of Valley Ordinance until his death in 1996 .
Melvin upon completing those receivers in Wilkes Barre PA, shipped them to Geneseo Ill. where they were assembled by SAI's staff of armorers.

BTW I have owned my 2 current M1A's since they were new, a 1988 Model MA9108 [which is a factory built M1A E-2] , serial # 49***
and a 1991 M1A SportMaster [a special edition & one of only 278 made.] serial # SM00**

The current M1A production is well over 350,000 rifles produced dwarfing the production #'s of all the other M14 clone manufacturers put together,
Their Customer Service is the bar none the best in the industry it doesn't matter if your the 1st owner or the 15th they'll honor their lifetime warranty.
The rifles produced before 1/1/1993 were sold with a 1 yr limited warranty, SAI retroactively covers these earlier rifles with the later warranty ,
an act unheard of in any other industry .

Speed Gunners fine rifle above [in post #6] is from the very 1st year of M1A production , 1972 , it's one of the earliest I've seen. I'm envious, that's too cool !
The other Devine and the 2 Bula M21's above are pretty cherry too !

I'm not trying to appear to be a sage , Lord knows I'm not , I've read Different's book a couple times , have a pretty good memory ,
I've been owning & shooting them & studying everything I could find on them since the late 70's ,
and I still don't know very much .

That fill in a LOT of gaps in my SAInc knowledge, thanks! Although, I do recall Mr. Ballance getting in some legal trouble prior to selling the company...

Eli

Aeroscout
November 02, 2016, 01:17
Are you talking about this list?

http://www.m4carbine.net/showthread.php?56385-SA-Inc-M1A-serial-number-chronology

From the post:

042201 to 063000 This is the serial number range that I refer to as the Golden Age of the M1A. The receiver design had fully matured by this time. The receivers were hand finished by the original designer and master craftsman, Melvin Smith. Springfield Armory, Inc. was awash in USGI parts during this period. Thus, factory built standard model M1A rifles in this serial number range were built with a very high USGI parts count.

James champney
November 02, 2016, 04:03
That's was not the list I had seen, but it's a good list. I wish I could upload a picture here but still have not figured it out. The receiver on my m1a reads us rifle 7.62 mmm1a springfield armory t 00001x. She's beautiful but she shows her age. But she still shoots great. Should I continue to shoot her or put her on display only?

gentlemanjoe
November 02, 2016, 08:14
That's was not the list I had seen, but it's a good list. I wish I could upload a picture here but still have not figured it out. The receiver on my m1a reads us rifle 7.62 mmm1a springfield armory t 00001x. She's beautiful but she shows her age. But she still shoots great. Should I continue to shoot her or put her on display only?

That sounds like a Devine, Tx. Not sure if Mr. Balance is still alive but I talked to him a few years ago. There is an M1A sight just like Falfiles. They have been trying for years to make a list of his rifles.

http://m14forum.com/devine-m1a/

James champney
November 02, 2016, 16:07
That site had the list I was talking about thanks for the link gentlemanjoe