View Full Version : A VERY long shot..........

October 30, 2016, 19:54
Yesterday I was doing Range Officer duties at my local gun club range, and it was a fairly slow day. In late afternoon, a guy came in, signed in to shoot, and on the first cease-fire, took two clay pigeons out to the 200 yard line, then another 40 yards past the 200 yard berm and put the two clay birds on the hillside that serves as a bullet trap for the range.

When the line went hot, he unlimbered a magnum of some sort with a scope on it and nailed one of the clay birds with the first shot. The other clay bird had the center part pop out when he put it on the hillside (more like a sheer cliff), so he said he wasn't going to bother with that one. The outer 2/3 of the bird were still there. After the guy hit the first clay bird, he said that the scope was right on, packed up his gear, and left.

Well, that other clay bird was still out there, and just for grins, I decided to take a few shots at it with my Copper Mica 10/22. It has a Nikon Buckmaster 4-12x40 scope with BDC reticle on it. I set the power at 6x and took a couple of trial shots to determine bullet drop and wind deflection. Once I figured out my hold over, it was a matter of doping the wind drift. One of the other Range Officers was spotting for me, and I was shooting Federal HV 36 gr. HP ammo. The wind was about 10 knots, blowing from right to left.

The drop at 240 yards was about 2 feet or so. I loaded up one 10 round mag and fired a few rounds to see where they were hitting the cliff face, then started trying to hit the clay bird. On the next to the last round in the mag, I got it. I saw it break, and heard the other R.O. yelling "Wow, you did it". Afterward, there were high fives and a lot of big grins.

This was with a basically stock Copper Mica 10/22 with a Kidd trigger job kit and guide rod installed and the bolt radiused and polished, but nothing done to the barrel. I think this one's a keeper.

October 30, 2016, 22:05
Congratulations for getting a good rile, I know the feeling as I am sure many here know as well.
I got a standard stock 10-22 and the barrel was bent and shot like crap. The rifle languished in the safe for some time. Then a friend of mine gave me his old stock barrel and a fancy laminated multicolor stock cause he was setting his up with all the latest. So I changed them out and low an behold I had a real keeper too. :)

For real long range .22 fun try a Winchester 52 or a Remington of equal quality with ladder peep sights. My 52 made in 1934 is old and rode hard but it is amazing at any range. At fifty yards it is one small raged hole. I got a gopher with it years ago at least 150 yards out, I could not see him without binoculars.
So I lined up on patches of vegetation, guessed the wind and drop. I guessed correctly. He never moved, just dead. I walked out and he was on his back with four in the air, looked like he was faking except for the hole dead center of his boiler room.

Retired Bum
October 30, 2016, 23:03
Back in 1983 I purchased a new Anschutz M1422 which is the Model 54 sporter with an American style stock. I bought Redfield scope rings and mounted a Beeman 2X7 air rifle scope. This scope has an adjustable objective lens which can be zeroed down to just ten yards.

I quickly learned that this rifle preferred the Winchester "gold box" standard velocity rifle match round. At 100 yards off the bench rest it would put five rounds into 0.75 inch on a calm day with no wind. I would place fired 12 gauge shotgun shells on the impact berm and clobber them at 125 yards without too much trouble.

The longest shot I ever took with the Anschutz was on an empty one quart oil can that I filled with water to give it enough weight to remain in place when hit. Distance was 175 yards which was the longest shot I could safely make at my club range. Once I had the elevation dialed in I put one magazine of five rounds into the oil can from the bench rest.

I still have the Anschutz and every now and then take it out and give it some exercise. Only problem is that my stock of the Winchester rifle match is almost depleted and finding more is mission impossible. I don't know if it is still produced or not.....

And so it goes.

The Retired One

October 31, 2016, 09:11
The local AR and AK blasters tend to look at me weird when I split playing cards at 25 yards with my 10/22 build.

October 31, 2016, 14:18
We used to ring a 18" gong at 200 yards with a 10/22. Hold about 2' high and second later you could hear the bullet hit. So a 10/22 will hold < 18" group at 200 yards. That's why it's popular with the older sniper crowd. :biggrin:

Retired Bum
October 31, 2016, 15:34
My 10/22 is a Sporter which is a stainless steel barreled action set into a nice looking walnut stock equipped with a red recoil pad and sling swivels. Mounted a Japanese made 3x9 variable on it using Ruger stainless rings. This is IMHO a much better looking rifle compared to the older 10/22 carbines with that awful black plastic butt plate and barrel band.

Accuracy is superior to the carbines that I owned in the past but nothing to get excited about. About 1.5 inch groups at 50 yards off the bench rest using Remington standard velocity "target" ammo. Good enough for small game hunting but that is its limit.

I was quite tempted to buy a new carbine at WallyWorld and have a gunsmith rebuild it into a decent shooting rifle. But I just couldn't see spending that much money on it. Not including a telescopic sight it was going to cost me three times what the base 10/22 cost. And when it was done it would still be just a Ruger 10/22 at heart.

And so it goes.

The Retired One