View Full Version : Nothing else quite like it IMHO

Retired Bum
October 20, 2016, 23:42
This evening I pulled my made in 1984 Walther PP .22lr out of the safe for an inspection. I disassembled the PP including removing the grips and gave it the old Mark One Eyeball Inspection. Applied a few drops of BreakFree to the small guide rails on the frame and inside the slide. Wiped down the recoil spring with a patch with BF on it. I reassembled the PP and gave it a wipe down with a new silicone impregnated cloth before returning it to the safe.

This is the fourth .22lr PP I have owned since 1968. And the most expensive. Worth every penny in my opinion. AFAIC it is the class act when it comes to a small frame .22lr auto loading pistol. Yes, the Beretta Model 87 is a classy pistol in its own right. I have a Beretta Model 84fs Cheetah .380 and appreciate the design and workmanship. But to me the PP is the best. All steel construction. The only plastic is the finger extension on the magazines and the grips which I replaced with a set of coco bolo aftermarket grips.

This PP rests in the safe next to my PP .32 and PPK .380. I almost bought one of the US made TPH's in .22lr when they first appeared. A real jewel of a sub compact pistol. But after reading about all of the problems they had with reliability I am glad that I didn't spend my money on one.

And so it goes.

The Retired One

October 21, 2016, 09:41
Walther made is a class act for sure. A PP in .22 sounds like a fun piece but I've not had the pleasure of owning or even shooting one. :|
My .22 Pistol shooting centers on several old model Ruger Super Single Sixes and a Buckmark.
I looked at the TPH for awhile myself, but come to the same conclusion as you did and gave it a pass.
My Walther PP is neither Walther nor PP, it is a Manhuren(?), and marked as such, PPK/s in .380. Nice pistol in it's own right.

Ever seen or handled Daewoo's DH380? They were sold thru Kimber in the 90"s and were based on the Walther PP looking nearly the same.
Just happened to see it in the Oct. 96 Guns & Ammo, but have never run across one.

Retired Bum
October 21, 2016, 17:53
Manurhin started making the PP and PPK during the Allied Occupation of Germany 1945-1955. The Germans were forbidden under the peace treaty from manufacturing any type of firearm. Walther relocated from Zella-Mehlis in East Germany to Ulm/Donau in the western zone. Walther did produce air pistols and rifles which were not considered firearms.

With the end of the occupation Walther was back in the gun making business and introduced the new alloy frame P38 which was quickly adopted by the new German Armed Forces as their service pistol. Manurhin in France continued to produce the PP and PPK under their own name and exported the parts to Walther who finished them and marked them as German made.

Walther discontinued the production of the PP series approx. 1985 as far as I know. Then Interarms of Alexandria, Virginia began offering the PPK in .380. It was made of stainless steel and produced by Ranger Arms in Alabama under a license held by Interarms from Walther. I purchased a first year production PPK made in 1986 in Jan 1987. Still have it almost 30 years later. Very nicely made and it has been a reliable shooter with FMJ and JHP.

I kept hoping that the PPK would be made in .22lr but that didn't happen . Just the problematic TPH.

I know next to nothing about the Daewoo auto pistols. They just aren't seen around here. And if I were to ask the typical FFL dealer about them all I would get is a blank stare. If it isn't an American made handgun or a Glock or Taurus these shop owners are generally clueless.....

And so it goes.

The Retired One

October 22, 2016, 11:08
I remember an article saying "James Bond never owned a German Walther PPK". The story went on to explain that in the time frame that Bond had a PPK, it would have to be one of those made by Manurhin and only marked by Walther.

My notes show that I bought the Manurhin in Nov. of '84 and I remember having my local GS order it for me.
Sold side by side, the Walther marked would bring a better price, but at that time, Walther had priced their pistols nearly out of reason for us average Joe's.

Retired Bum
October 22, 2016, 14:46
The classic Walther pistols priced out of range for average people is putting it mildly.

The MSRP prices on imported Walthers were getting ridiculous. A NIB P38 was listed at $1200. A NIB PP in any of the three calibers were $1000. This was in the mid 1980's just before Walther discontinued production of its classic pistols. Part of this was the difference between the DM and the dollar. It took more dollars to buy DM's. And Interarms was getting greedy IMNSHO. Screwing over the customers was the name of the game.....

But then Interarms acquired the license to have the PPK and PPK/S made here in the USA and in 1986 a new PPK cost around $500 as I recall.

Then came the fall of the Berlin Wall and in 1990 reunification of the two Germany's. Then the German Bundeswehr adopted the HK USP9 as the replacement for the P1 and surplus P1's could be had for under $200 25 years ago. I had a commercial P38 made in 1984 and I picked up a 1976 made P1 in excellent condition with holster and two mags for just over $200 OTD.

And so it goes.

The Retired One