PDA

View Full Version : need advice with moving an NFA firearm to another state

gangland
October 15, 2016, 23:59
I'm aware of filing a 5320.20 for approval etc etc.. my situation is a little different. I've tried calling the atf 3 or 4 times and every time i'm forwarded to an examiner, which has always been a voicemail. Never received a call back, so i'm going to ask here..

Recently my form 4 was approved for an slr104 factory sbr, however I left the state before it was approved since my father came down with stage 4 cancer.. I'm now in new mexico, the gun is in texas. I'd like to know what my options are to go about getting it here, Can my sot dealer transport it here for me? Could they mail it to me after approval? Otherwise, should I just fill out the form 5320.20 and drive/fly it back..? For section 6 i'm not sure whether to put the address of the SOT dealer, or the address my trust is on. I have not transferred my residency, so i'm still technically a citizen of texas in the gov's eyes

any advice on this is highly appreciated and the red tape is keeping me from getting some other stuff done so i'd like to get this out of the way asap.

kwthor
October 16, 2016, 10:45
Not an expert here but it seems like since you have not technically left Texas you are still operating on original filing information.
Also, if you are going to stay as Texas resident after taking care of your father then you are good to go. The NFA item may need to stay in Texas though until you know if your move is permanent.
Again, advice is free from me but you will pay the price if I'm wrong. ;)

SPEEDGUNNER
October 16, 2016, 12:40
Is the SBR legal in NM? If so, I would think you could just file a change of address on your paperwork and you would be good to go.

OMR_RDTandE
October 16, 2016, 14:06
This is one of those word problems where some of the information is irrelevant. What's relevant is the NFA weapon is owned by a TRUST, with a Texas address, which is where the BATF&E expects to find the weapon. If it's not at the Trust address, but with a trustee within the state, there should be some documentation indicating where it is and who has it. If it's not going to be in the state where the Trust is, NFA Branch will need to give approval to temporarily move the weapon across state lines. Their interest is that it be legal where it's going.

In this particular case, the Trust can send the weapon to itself, in care of a trustee in another state, as long as NFA Branch approves the temporary transfer.

gangland
October 16, 2016, 16:44
This is one of those word problems where some of the information is irrelevant. What's relevant is the NFA weapon is owned by a TRUST, with a Texas address, which is where the BATF&E expects to find the weapon. If it's not at the Trust address, but with a trustee within the state, there should be some documentation indicating where it is and who has it. If it's not going to be in the state where the Trust is, NFA Branch will need to give approval to temporarily move the weapon across state lines. Their interest is that it be legal where it's going.

In this particular case, the Trust can send the weapon to itself, in care of a trustee in another state, as long as NFA Branch approves the temporary transfer.

This is a permanent transfer, I will not be moving back to TX.. and yeah NM has some of the most lax gun laws, so everything that can be legal is legal here.. but are you saying that my "trust" can send the weapon to me/trustee.. So int his case could my SOT dealer send it to me then with proper approval..?

gentlemanjoe
October 16, 2016, 17:57
Although I moved in state, I just sent a letter to the NFA Branch amending my form to indicate my new address. About a week later they acknowledge receipt of my request and about 4 months later they sent a letter affirming the change of address.