View Full Version : Using NPAP as parts kit

October 13, 2016, 17:19
Hello everyone, I recently came across a well used Yugo NPAP for a deal that really couldnt be refused (free). The trigger pin hole is a hair wallowed out and as a result, the trigger pin does not like to stay put with any type of pin retainer Ive ever seen (the guy tried them all). I was wondering if anyone has any information on what type of bent receiver would fit this particular set of trunnions. Any info is appreciated, thanks.

October 13, 2016, 19:05
That has the flat front trunnion I think. If so pretty much any 7.62 receiver will work. Do you have the tools to build it out? Quite a few specialized tools are needed to build an AK, would probably be cheaper to send it off to a builder than buying everything for a single build.

October 13, 2016, 19:44
Tig weld the hole with a copper backing plate. Redrill undersize and ream.

I think it's the same as an M70, so if you want to change receivers, it would be the NDS-1. Not the EZ as the yugo has different hole locations for the unique-to-yugo stock & rear trunion.

Major surgery. Not a big deal if you've been building AKs and have all the tooling, but it would be a wash to have it rebuilt on a new receiver. At $675, I would charge (if I was accepting new work) $550, plus the $100 receiver.

So I'd try the weld and a Power trigger axle pin plate, and if that doesn't work, sell it for parts and buy a standard AKM type. I've never been a fan of the Yugo pattern as you are more limited in what you can do with it.

This ad suggests the parts kit is worth at least $500 to someone. Take that money and the $500 you didn't pay for this one, and buy an Arsenal 107

October 13, 2016, 23:18
I appreciate you guys' concern over my experience in building AKs, but I have, in fact, built parts kits previously. In fact, thats why I made this post. I wanted to see if anyone out there knew off the top of their head whether or not there was some major dimension off I was missing (I dont have a regular slab sided M70 to compare this one to). Thanks for the info GP, I was looking at both those options, I appreciate the confirmation.

RG Coburn
October 14, 2016, 09:47
NPAP I think uses the straight receiver,while OPAP uses the bulged RPK style?
Either way,like Mark noted,the fix should be fairly easy. Hopefully its a decent production receiver,that heat treated,and not some home-brewed soft shelled unit.