PDA

View Full Version : Savage Precision Carbine

Whydah
October 09, 2016, 15:56
So, I have this Savage Precision Carbine in .308 win. With the 1-10 twist its supposed to like the heavier bullets. Shooting 165gr. Fusions, 3" at 100 meters is about the best it will do. Haven't tried anything heavier. I almost handed it to a local gun shop on consignment. Then I dropped down to 150 gr. bullets. Specifically Federal Soft Points. Instant and repeatable .5" groups. The Hornady 150 gr. loads does even a bit better. I did try the 150 gr. Fusions. They average about 1.5" at 100 meters.

So, whats the story here? It obviously likes the lighter pills.

Nuttz
October 09, 2016, 16:57
None of my Savages like Fusion ammo. My Savage 10FCPK likes the 168gr FGMM and Hornady A-max. Either of these does great out to 600 yards (subMOA if I do my part). When I started venturing out past 600 yards I jumped up to Hornady 178gr BTHP Super Performance Match. It is my 1000 yard round! From everything I have experienced Savage 10s and Hornady is a perfect union.

Whydah
October 09, 2016, 18:29
My experience with Fusions tend to agree with you. I do have a Ruger Gunsight scout rifle that shoots the Fusions without complaint. Thats good since I have a supply of Fusions.

Eyeguy
October 09, 2016, 19:27
Not to hijack the thread here but....

Nuttz, what is the K designation on your Savage 10 FCP? I almost traded into one here a while back but it was also .308 and I'm wanting a .300 win mag for truly long range.

Nuttz
October 09, 2016, 19:59
Not to hijack the thread here but....

Nuttz, what is the K designation on your Savage 10 FCP? I almost traded into one here a while back but it was also .308 and I'm wanting a .300 win mag for truly long range.

The "K" is for the Brake. Mine is a LE edition that they stopped running about a year or two ago. It has the Acu-trigger, Acu-stock, Heavy-flutted barrel, and the Muzzle Brake. Only thing I did to it out of the box was a simple Harris bipod, nylon cheek rest with foam insert, a Millet rail, and a Vortex Viper PST 6-24.