PDA

View Full Version : Browning Turn Bolts

hueyville
September 29, 2016, 22:26
Have an opportunity to buy a Browning A-Bolt in 300 Win Mag with nice wood stock and low round count at fair price. $600 with Leupold 2.5x-10x 50mm in Leupold mounts. Been looking for another 300 Win Mag for a while and only real thing attracting me to this is price with glass included and pretty wood. Main concern is skinny barrel which would have to pull, thread, add brake and while off cut a little off back and recut chamber. Thus price runs up fast as gunsmith labor adds up.

Looking around found a Browning X-Bolt for $849 out the door with no glass:

"RECEIVER: Steel; Matte blued finish; Glass bedded; Drilled and tapped for scope mounts - BARREL: Matte blued finish; Free-floating; Hand chambered; Target crown; Muzzle brake installed; Thread protector included - ACTION: Bolt-action; 60 bolt lift; Adjustable Feather Trigger; Detachable rotary magazine; Top-tang safety; Bolt unlock button - STOCK: Composite; Textured gripping surfaces; Right-hand palm swell; A-TACS AU camouflage finish; Dura-Touch Armor Coating - FEATURES: Inflex recoil pad; Sling swivel studs installed"

Looks to have most of whats needed to be a usable rifle out of box except glass. What would spend on the used model to add features want would run close to the X-Bolt out of the b ox except would know my smith had altered the A-Bolt to my specifications. Have several A-Bolts but no X- Bolts. Anyone with both that have an opinion. As downsizing rifles this will be replacing one of my 338 Lapua's which will be moving up to replace a 50 BMG's job. Looking at the big six-zero coming up not too far away and realize big rifles all have to drop a bit in size and recoil.

ftierson
September 29, 2016, 23:28
The recent/current A-bolts have a 32TPI barrel to receiver thread. Especially if stainless, this makes the receiver almost impossible to rebarrel since galling strips the threads out.

In addition, I personally don't like the original A-bolt because slabbing a significant portion of the sides of the receiver ring makes no sense in terms of weakening the receiver.

But maybe that's just me...

Forrest

W.E.G.
September 30, 2016, 06:29
I've got an A-Bolt stainless in 30-06.

Nice rifle.

Killed a couple deer with it in the 90's.

I had it out of the safe just this week. Thought about selling it. Then figured it might be a good excuse to go sit in the woods for a day and listening to squirrels and jets. I might get around to that.

I'd be surprised if I fire it even 100 times more before rainbows and unicorns.
Damn sure aint going to give any thought to "re-barreling" such a thing.

http://i227.photobucket.com/albums/dd7/rkba2da/rifle%20pics/Browning%20A-Bolt/A-BoltJapanrollmark.jpg

ftierson
September 30, 2016, 10:28

I'd be surprised if I fire it even 100 times more before rainbows and unicorns.
Damn sure aint going to give any thought to "re-barreling" such a thing.

There is that...

Then again, a disposable rifle is a disposable rifle. Given the millions of rounds that huey shoots, I figured he wanted one that could be rebarreled multiple times... :)

A few years ago, we had a guy bring in an A-Bolt in .300 Win. Mag. He had shot some commercial reloads (a well known brand) and the gun had blown up, the receiver ring splitting open and the barrel falling out the front onto the ground. His Zeiss scope was toast, bent up in the middle. The shooter wasn't hurt.

While I blame the ammo, a 'better' rifle most likely wouldn't have split the receiver ring.

Their new rifles keep the receiver ring round and don't slab that part off...

Just sayin'...

Forrest

ismith
September 30, 2016, 11:14
If it comes with a BOSS muzzle brake be sure to unscrew it from the barrel and toss it in the trash.

juanni
September 30, 2016, 23:21
Never been impressed with the design of A Bolts.
Makes little sense to buy a bolt action, heave a good barrel, hog out the stock or replace it.

Just buy a remmy clone and build it the way you want.

.............juanni