PDA

View Full Version : Magazines Not Dropping

rowjimmy
September 27, 2016, 20:13
So, I'm shooting my new g34 and it won't drop the mag no occasion. I haven't done this scientifically to ascertain if it is a particular magazine or not, but ALL of the 6 mags I use in competition have always dropped free from my G17 with no issue.

Any ideas? I'm going to try and figure out if it's a given mag, but I don't think it is as I used all 6 mags twice on Sunday and the issue only occurred once. So, even if it is one mag, it's doing it intermittently.

tdb59
September 27, 2016, 21:00
Your manly grip has transmogrified the frame of yo gat. It be busticated.

Or something.

rowjimmy
September 28, 2016, 08:20
Your manly grip has transmogrified the frame of yo gat. It be busticated.

Or something.

You're just angry I didn't include you in the poll...now you feel like you have to prove yourself. :)

Invictus77
September 28, 2016, 08:26
It be busticated.

Or something.

Da T-dog B on 2 sumtin' dere bro :cool:

TenTea
September 28, 2016, 08:28
Da T-dog B on 2 sumtin' dere bro :cool:

gnome sane?

pre1989
September 29, 2016, 00:31
Stupid question but uh current mags ? Modded any thing on the gun latly like the mag catch?

rowjimmy
September 29, 2016, 15:20
Stupid question but uh current mags ? Modded any thing on the gun latly like the mag catch?

They're like 8 years old. No mods.

kotengu
September 29, 2016, 17:02
You've got a G34 now - the obvious answer is to add Taran Tactical basepads to all your mags so they'll drop free with more weight (and hold 21 rounds).

Or you could just buy the new Magpul 21rd mags.

Or you could slather bacon grease up inside your magwell. That'd probably do it.

The first two probably aren't IDPA legal. Not sure about the bacon grease...

rowjimmy
September 30, 2016, 08:58

Or you could slather bacon grease up inside your magwell. That'd probably do it.

The first two probably aren't IDPA legal. Not sure about the bacon grease...

I was thinking armor all, but then I have to grab them out of the mag holder too.

And actually, some base pads are legal in esp.

Nuttz
September 30, 2016, 09:08
There are other experts round here that can give you expert advise about "mag drops", trucks, and such! Sorry I can't help! :wink:

Pusha
September 30, 2016, 09:45
Gen 3 mags in a Gen 4 pistol?

rowjimmy
September 30, 2016, 15:19
Gen 3 mags in a Gen 4 pistol?

No, gen 3 mags in a gen 3 pistol.

rowjimmy
September 30, 2016, 15:19
There are other experts round here that can give you expert advise about "mag drops", trucks, and such! Sorry I can't help! :wink:

I miss the reference...so that's a swing and a miss for me.

kotengu
September 30, 2016, 15:55
I think you know this and you're just having fun - but just in case:

You really need to narrow down whether it's one mag that has issues or it's all mags that have issues sometimes. I put a piece of blue painter's tape on the floorplate of all my mags, and put notes on any that have any issues for whatever reason. That helps me determine if a particular mag is at fault, or if it's the gun. Then we can troubleshoot more. The fact that it happens with only the G34 point to the gun, but your G17 may have a more forgiving magwell and it could still be a mag issue.

I'm assuming you already looked your mags over closely? Burrs around the mag latch cutout are not uncommon on the plastic fantastic, and those can drag just enough in the magwell to keep it from dropping free. Burrs/wear on the mag catch itself if pretty common too. The mag catch is a cheap part and easy to replace - if there's any doubt, swap it out.

Then go see the shoe witch and see what she thinks. :biggrin:

ALL FAL
September 30, 2016, 18:15
Fartfignugan, an Glock Exclusive.

Ahh, Me so Funny. :):rofl:

rowjimmy
October 01, 2016, 09:23
Fartfignugan, an Glock Exclusive.

Ahh, Me so Funny. :):rofl:

Sounds like my problem with magazines not dropping isn't as serious as your's with your testicles not dropping...

Ahh, me funnier. :rofl::tongue:

tac-40
October 01, 2016, 15:37
They're like 8 years old. No mods.

Glock made them with a metal lining encased in plastic. The seam where the lining ends come together is a bunch of finger joints that are not welded [AFAIK]. The pressure created by the spring on the loaded rounds not only forces the rounds upward to allow for feeding, but also causes them to exert pressure on the sides of the magazines. Because there is no pressure to the front or rear of the magazine, the sides tend to bow outward. Over time, the sides rub slightly while inside the mag well. This friction causes the mags to stick. This was very noticeable before Glock changed the metal filler from coverage to full coverage. But the new design also does it.

A temporary solution is to place the mag body in a vice and squeeze the sides together slightly so they return to the original shape. A better solution would be to buy new mags and use the older ones for range/target practice and malfunction drills.

rowjimmy
October 01, 2016, 16:48
Glock made them with a metal lining encased in plastic. The seam where the lining ends come together is a bunch of finger joints that are not welded [AFAIK]. The pressure created by the spring on the loaded rounds not only forces the rounds upward to allow for feeding, but also causes them to exert pressure on the sides of the magazines. Because there is no pressure to the front or rear of the magazine, the sides tend to bow outward. Over time, the sides rub slightly while inside the mag well. This friction causes the mags to stick. This was very noticeable before Glock changed the metal filler from coverage to full coverage. But the new design also does it.

A temporary solution is to place the mag body in a vice and squeeze the sides together slightly so they return to the original shape. A better solution would be to buy new mags and use the older ones for range/target practice and malfunction drills.

So, to follow up, I'm likely not having this problem in my G17 because so many mags have been inserted into it and the mag well has been worn down a bit? (The only exception to that would be when I had to use my carry G17 for a match with these mags because the magazine catch spring was broken in my competition gun but I had no drop issues despite the mag well not being worn from use.)

Your answer makes sense. But, as Matt suggested and I alluded to myself in my first post, I should really approach this scientifically and systematically and ascertain if it is a given mag or possibly many/all of them.

I have plenty of new mags, but if I start using them, I'll have to buy more spares :p

rowjimmy
October 07, 2016, 21:04
So, I checked these out. It's only one mag. I didn't use the calipers it to check width and compare to other, but it just sits in the magwell when the release is hit. I've removed it from my rotation and may try Tac's vice suggestion. That is all for now.