PDA

View Full Version : Value of M1 Carbine & M4 bayonet

grumpy1
September 22, 2016, 21:26
Well I'm getting ready to put my M1 carbine up for sale and want to hear what you think it would be worth, looking around the internet the prices are all over the place.

So here's a run down of what it is. The serial number is 6,931,xxx and is stamped Inland Div. the barrel is also made by Inland with a 2/45 date on it. These are contemporary and most likely the original barrel and receiver. It has a type III bayonet lug which is marked AI. Upper hand guard is stamped 10 or OI and I don't think it's the original as dent and dings don't match up on the stock. Rear receiver lug is marked DI. Trigger group is marked Inland inside a pentagon. The mag release is marked with a M. The op rod is marked with a H and D7161849. The hammer is marked with HI. The safety lever is marked CM. And under the barrel on the flat spot in front of the receiver has the following letters & numbers: B2 1F Y (up side down) W23. It has a round bolt. The gun shows honest wear and handling.

Now for the M4 bayonet: the blade is marked Imperial and M4 on the cross guard and also has flaming bomb too. On the pommel it is stamped SP (sometimes referred to as the slash S) and 150. The pommel rivet is star burst. The blade has the original grey parkerizing on the metal. The blade does have some scratches, most likely from being sharpened at some point. The sheath is an M8A1 type is in tacked and strong but shows signs of being used/carried.
This is a very good example of a early first issue M4 bayonet. Reproduction are going for $40 and genuine M4 bayonets are selling from $75 range up to $300 (for Imperial made bayonet). Mine looks every bit as good as any that are selling between $150 to $300.

These were both bought in the early 90's at a gun show and I think I've put around 100 rounds threw it since I got it. I do have two 15 round mags and two 30 round mags as well as the stock mag case but no sling or oiler.

Any thoughts as to what the package should be worth? I was thinking as a package about $1k.

GApilot
September 22, 2016, 22:23
Well I'm getting ready to put my M1 carbine up for sale and want to hear what you think it would be worth, looking around the internet the prices are all over the place.

Is it imported? Usually stamped on the left side of the barrel. I just picked up an Inland import for $600, this was a good value in my opinion.

grumpy1
September 23, 2016, 16:51
Not an import mark on it that I could find. Just a good example of a late WWII M1 carbine.

mpnv
September 23, 2016, 17:04
I would sell the rifle and bayonet separate. The bayonet will not add any value to the weapon. I sold a non import marked Winchester with mixed parts and a non sanded stock (had all the cartouches) last winter for around $900. Best thing to do is put it on Gunbroker with a reserve and see what happens. You can always lower your price.

tdb59
September 23, 2016, 17:38
Only 3 non - import Carbines were priced under 1k at the August Reno show.

All 3 sold.

:angel:

SAFN49
September 23, 2016, 21:53
Only 3 non - import Carbines were priced under 1k at the August Reno show.

All 3 sold.

:angel:

but you have to remember back in the day when there were plenty of Blue Sky imports and plenty of original parts available. You could put together a matched carbine for a few hundred bucks.

GApilot
September 24, 2016, 06:49
but you have to remember back in the day when there were plenty of Blue Sky imports and plenty of original parts available. You could put together a matched carbine for a few hundred bucks.

Just paid $599.99 (exactly, no tax in my state) for a Blue Sky (Inland), plenty of extras and matched.. SAFN49 is correct (IMO), original parts were available and many matched (even imports) back in the day, this is not the case for Garands based upon my exposure to them, but is for carbines. Oh, when I say matched, I'm not referring to the arsenal refinished parts like sights\wood\safeties... I've not seen many bring backs with the flip sight and the push safety, wish more existed (yes, people do match items and the aftermarket like OEM has gotten convincing).

Values are possible locally, just have to look. Gunbroker is hit or miss (for me GB is only for parts, well that is a lie, did buy a complete 3/4 matched STG once). Remember, Inland produced a ton of carbines back in the day (believe over 2.5 million) so matching and the prices appear to be more reasonable for InLand (even Winchester). I personally like the IBM version and wouldn't mind acquiring a Rock-Ola (something about jukeboxes in the name entices). It sure is fun studying this stuff, if anything to understand more about history (just want to keep it fun). in closing, carbines have gone up since the 70's but not that bad (IMO), prices really appear to have settled recently (I'm not talking about the one time CMP buy or truly rare items). If anything I've still seen Plainfields for $300 or under (local), not a WWII collector piece but a fun acquisition (I'm not saying Universal, obvious difference).