PDA

View Full Version : New Barnes bullet question

spider991
September 16, 2016, 12:23
Question for you reloading gurus...

Been using the 175g smk seated to 2.8 with 41.8 4064 in my 308 boltie....excellent load.
ok, i got a bunch of the Barnes LRX 175s, a longer bullet. I can get about 41g of 4064 then it starts to crunch(compress) would like to do a 41.8-42.5 grain load i read about but i am worried about pressure issues. Any one use this combination or think the compression will not be that bad on the powder...really want to stay with his powder. thoughts?

notfrommt
September 16, 2016, 13:41
I would call or email Barnes directly out there in Utah. They are a great company and they are in the best position to answer such a question.

PM me if you have an issue getting ahold of someone.

tac-40
September 16, 2016, 22:28
Is 2.8 a fixed OAL for your rifle? Or is it for the SMK? I know 2.8 is the max OAL for the .308. However, you might get away with loading a little longer. That should help with the powder issue.

spider991
September 17, 2016, 11:49
Is 2.8 a fixed OAL for your rifle? Or is it for the SMK? I know 2.8 is the max OAL for the .308. However, you might get away with loading a little longer. That should help with the powder issue.

Reason we can't go longer is they are mag fed in the rifle, most I could squeeze out is 2.85....gonna hit Cabelas today and try some of the 168g ...just gonna use the long 175s in the '06...and Notfromut, I am gonna shoot Barnes an email..thanks for the responses guys!

grumpy1
September 17, 2016, 23:44
Well, I just pulled up the load data published by Barnes, and they don't list 4064 as a suitable powder to use with the 175 gr bullets, it is listed for the 165 gr (starting at 39.7 to a compressed load of 44.1 gr.) I know from my interaction with the people at Barnes bullets they do like their loads to have a 95% or more load density. 4064 maybe a powder that they haven't tried or just didn't have good results with it, like not getting good velocity, accuracy etc.

I have a little in with Barnes Bullets in that my dentist and shooting buddy brother is the former owner and current president for of Barnes Bullets. It comes in handy from time to time, like when no one around has the bullets that I'm looking for, somehow he manages to come into position of just what I'm looking for (as long as it's made by Barnes).