PDA

View Full Version : DeSantis Apache ankle holster

idsubgun
September 08, 2016, 10:28
In case someone is considering an ankle holster, I thought I'd do a review on the DeSantis Apache ankle holster.

Last Thanksgiving, I was talking with my nephew, who is a cop in Idaho. He mentioned he had been using the DeSantis Apache ankle holster for some time, and liked it. He mentioned he has ran with it and has had no problems of it shifting/moving what-so-ever. So I ordered one in December 2015.

I've been wearing this holster almost daily since I bought it. I have been looking for an alternative method of concealed carry because my wife's job requires her to attend suit-and-tie functions (and drags me along! lol), and I couldn't very well use a IWB/OWB holster without printing.

I wanted to carry my Hungarian FEG PA-63 in 9mm Mak because it's lightweight with the aluminum frame. I looked on DeSantis's web site but they didn't offer a holster for the PA-63. It's the same size as the Walther PP and while they offered holsters for the PPK and PPS, they didn't have one for the PP. I contacted them and they simply said they didn't make one. So, I started comparing it to other pistols I have and saw it was basically the same profile as a 1911 Officer's Model.

The 1911 Officer's Model fit their large frame semi-automatic holster so that's the one I ordered. I thought if it didn't fit my PA-63 I'd just carry my Officer's Model. Being a heavier pistol, I also ordered the ankle holster support strap. While I was ordering, I also got the holster that carries two extra magazines for my other ankle.

When the items arrived, I did carry my 1911 Officer's Model for a couple weeks. Even with the heavier pistol, I didn't need the support strap because the holster stayed right where I put it. I wear ankle high shoes/boots so the holster sits right on top. If you wear lower cut shoes, you might need the support strap but I doubt it if you carry a lightweight pistol.

The holsters are made of heavy Neoprene and the gun holster has sheepskin padded lining. Both are held on with Velcro, and are VERY secure! The magazine holster holds two magazines, and will hold double stack mags. I actually carried my Para 1911 Commander and two double stack mags ONCE but decided it was too much pistol, as in too heavy, to carry all the time.

To sum it all up, I've been using this set up for almost a year. It's VERY comfortable!!! I don't even notice it while wearing it. I highly recommend this set up if you want to carry on your ankle(s). In fact, my IWB/OWB holsters haven't seen the light of day since I bought the DeSantis Apache holster. I love this set up!

I included links to DeSantis web site but I found the cheapest place to purchase was on Amazon. The holster alone was about $20 less on Amazon.
Any questions, just ask. Hope this helps someone.

Holster:

http://www.desantisholster.com/APACHE-ANKLE-RIG

Magazine Holster:

http://www.desantisholster.com/NEOPRENE-ANKLE-DOUBLE-MAGAZINE

Support Strap:

http://www.desantisholster.com/ANKLE-SUPPORT-STRAP?&search_id=724136

kotengu
September 08, 2016, 10:43
Good review - thanks. I just bought a Glock 43 for similar reasons. I tried the SmartCarry and it was fairly comfortable and I thought pretty invisible. But my wife can't stop laughing when she sees me wearing it and says it looks like I have socks stuffed down my pants and an erection all the time.

And the ladies at work were just too distracted all of a sudden.

So I'm looking for another carry method.

idsubgun
September 08, 2016, 17:06
Good review - thanks. I just bought a Glock 43 for similar reasons. I tried the SmartCarry and it was fairly comfortable and I thought pretty invisible. But my wife can't stop laughing when she sees me wearing it and says it looks like I have socks stuffed down my pants and an erection all the time.

And the ladies at work were just too distracted all of a sudden.

So I'm looking for another carry method.

I think you would be happy with this holster. It's very secure and very comfortable.

And the ladies will quit looking at your crotch! :biggrin:

4x401
September 08, 2016, 20:55
Appreciate the review, AND links Idsg, thank you.

Kinda spendy for elastic goods, but if the holsters weather like you say, probably worth the investment...and I've been looking for a better discrete way to carry on the job..:]

4x401
September 08, 2016, 20:57

My wife would probably appreciate that.:o

MilsurpMonkey
September 08, 2016, 22:19

In that case you're using the wrong holster

http://i1264.photobucket.com/albums/jj486/Milsurpmonkey/Mobile%20Uploads/FB_IMG_1467391671125_zpsvpjy86cx.jpg

idsubgun
September 09, 2016, 00:13
Appreciate the review, AND links Idsg, thank you.

Kinda spendy for elastic goods, but if the holsters weather like you say, probably worth the investment...and I've been looking for a better discrete way to carry on the job..:]

I included the DeSantis links so everyone would know exactly what I was talking about but I paid $32 for the holster, $27 for the double mag holster and less then $16 for the support strap on Amazon, so considerably cheaper. I saved over $40 compared to DeSantis's web site.
The Neoprene is a good 1/4" thick so nothing wimpy. And super strong. I stretch the Hell out of it when I put it on and it's in as good of shape as the day I got it. The sheepskin lining on the gun holster makes it very comfortable to wear.
I don't think you'd be disappointed if you decide to purchase.

badzero
October 21, 2016, 07:30
I took your advise and ordered one, just came in yesterday. Thank you for the tip, it's as good as you said, comfortable and secure enough to forget you're wearing it.

idsubgun
October 21, 2016, 15:56
I took your advise and ordered one, just came in yesterday. Thank you for the tip, it's as good as you said, comfortable and secure enough to forget you're wearing it.

You're welcome. Glad to help!

I was apprehensive about ordering one because you hear so many horror stories about ankle holsters, but seeing how my nephew gave it a good review, I thought "Why not?". And I've been very happy with it.

Did you order the mag holster for the other ankle or are you carrying a revolver? The mag holster is as secure as the pistol/revolver holster.

idsubgun
February 06, 2017, 10:11

So badzero, after 4 months or so, how are you liking the ankle holster?

A couple days ago I sat down with my wife, and crossed my legs. I realized that the muzzle was pointing toward my wife, and quickly put my leg down and removed my ankle holster. The holster is so comfortable, you literally forget it's on your leg.

Just wondering if you've had the same experience after using it for a while? Being comfortable, not sweeping the wife with the muzzle. lol

Did you ever get the magazine ankle holster for the other leg? It's the same, comfortable! And never hurts to have two extra mags!

idsubgun
July 28, 2017, 11:20
It's been almost two years since I started wearing the DeSantis Apache ankle holster and the matching magazine ankle holster, and they are still going strong even though they are worn almost daily.

If anyone is looking for an ankle holster, I still highly recommend the DeSantis Apache!