PDA

View Full Version : PTR 91 trigger pack question

Timber Wolf
September 07, 2016, 20:45
I see Atlantic has a version of the PTR with a metal trigger pack. Any reason to prefer the plastic pack?

Conelrad
September 07, 2016, 21:20
Hell no.

DDG

Eyeguy
September 07, 2016, 21:21
Certainly no expert here but PTR's website show availability of metal trigger housing that appear to be surplus (these carry an NRA rating on condition). The polymer trigger housings are listed as "Navy style" and are all new manufacture I believe.

Chris Peterson is the customer service manager at PTR. I purchased my PTR 91 direct and always found him to be available to answer questions.

Conelrad
September 07, 2016, 21:28
The PTR 'Navy type' are soft and feel floppy to me.:?

Definitely not original HK quality, whereas the steel ones are.

Plus the all-plastic grip angle is a little different than the others.

DDG

wanneroo
September 08, 2016, 09:29
The main advantage to the plastic is weight. If someone made a plastic lower with a decent grip handle I'd probably use it instead of the metal.

rustypirate
September 08, 2016, 10:13
Actually for some the plastic Navy style grip is very helpful. I happen to have relatively small hands, and the metal grip frame with the plastic pistol grip is a bit too large for me to grip firmly and reach the trigger reliably. The profile of the pistol grip on the plastic frames are much more comfortable for me, and make for a more repetitive and reliable trigger operation.

hkshooter
September 08, 2016, 11:26
I see Atlantic has a version of the PTR with a metal trigger pack. Any reason to prefer the plastic pack?

It's all personal preference. Put one of each in your hands and you'll know which one you like and for what reasons.
You question is akin to "tastes great, less filling".

hansellhd
September 09, 2016, 11:41
Hell no.

DDG

+10K

That plastic peice of crap was put on the Gun for one reason, cost reduction. I think it's worse than the original AK47 popsicle grip.

hkshooter
September 09, 2016, 13:25
+10K

That plastic peice of crap was put on the Gun for one reason, cost reduction. I think it's worse than the original AK47 popsicle grip.

Ouch! That's saying a lot about how you feel.
I, too, loathe the popsicle AK grip but in no way do I feel the same about the navy HK grip.

Timber Wolf
September 09, 2016, 21:32
I don't have access to a PTR, or HK for that matter. I do have a CETME though. How does the PTR/HK metal pack grip compare to the CETME? I would suspect pretty dang close.

BM59
September 09, 2016, 21:45
Converted my first two PTRs to steel trigger packs. I like the grip and looks better, and I do not mind the weight. My third came straight out of the factory with steel trigger pack and paddle magazine release.

seasmoke
September 11, 2016, 13:20
The CETME and the G3 lowers are very close to identical. The selector markings are different and the "tabs" that the trigger pack rest on, are a little wider. For proper fit when using a HK/PTR housing and internals, some metal must be filed on the rear cutouts on the FCG housing. I have a CETME lower on my PTR ( with the PTR FCG ) and looks and functions fine.

hkshooter
September 11, 2016, 13:38
I have a CETME lower on my PTR ( with the PTR FCG ) and looks and functions fine.

Except that your S and F markings operate backwards. Not a good situation if someone other than yourself handles the rifle.

seasmoke
September 11, 2016, 14:20
The CETME lower markings do not affect the function of the HK FCG. When letting a friend shoot it, I instruct them on the position of the selector... top position=safe, middle= SA, bottom=SA. Whether the lower is marked SEF or TSR means nothing to function.

hkshooter
September 11, 2016, 14:36
The CETME lower markings do not affect the function of the HK FCG. When letting a friend shoot it, I instruct them on the position of the selector... top position=safe, middle= SA, bottom=SA. Whether the lower is marked SEF or TSR means nothing to function.

You are absolutely correct. And have confirmed the obvious concern that someone can unknowingly use the selector lever in an unsafe manor were they not subject to your tutorial. It may only be one small step in a long line of steps that lead to a tragic "accident" but it's a step none the less.
A bone head move doesn't always look like a bone head move until a funeral is in the near future.
Your rifle so by all means, do as you wish.

N4KVE
September 15, 2016, 18:32
+10K

That plastic peice of crap was put on the Gun for one reason, cost reduction. I think it's worse than the original AK47 popsicle grip.Also a US part for 922 compliance. GARY