View Full Version : Garand mod

September 04, 2016, 15:59
have been told a part is available to modify a Garand where the bolt will lock back like a carbine. does anyone know of this and where there are available?

September 04, 2016, 16:33
Why ?

The op rod catch holds the bolt open automatically when the last round is ejected .

September 04, 2016, 16:41
Are you referring to the "Holbrook Devise"? It replaces the OP Rod catch so that the Clip doesn't eject on the last round and the Bolt doesn't close automatically when a loaded Clip is inserted.

Why anyone would do such a thing to a fine Battle Rifle like the Garand is beyond my comprehension. JCG would not approve. :redface:

I suppose it would be a handy feature for target shooters and parade rifles. It is a reversible part replacement modification so no permanent damage occurs to a fine battle implement. :)

Treebark, try not to post so much will ya? :D

September 04, 2016, 17:47
Inspection arms was an easier command to follow with an M1 than it was when we got the M14.

September 06, 2016, 18:01
This is the Holbrook Device:

This is the SLED. It allows the shooter to load 1 or 2 rounds in the rifle, fire, lock the slide back and the clip (SLED) not eject. Used it many years while competing in the Garand Highpower rifle matches. Great for slow fire courses.

September 07, 2016, 09:59
^^^^^ yeah, what he said. I have used a SLED a lot, never really needed a Holbrook device. When I first read this I thought to myself {If your Garand doesn't lock back after firing, you got bigger problems than that} :biggrin:

September 25, 2016, 11:40
Holbrook device seems well made and did what it is designed to do very well. It eliminates the auto ejection of the clip, and inhibits automatic release of the bolt when fresh clip is loaded. I can think of plenty of scenarios where the device would be helpful. If these modified functions are helpful for you then I think you will like it.

September 25, 2016, 21:41
The Holbrook Device is supposed to be especially useful on 'tanker' conversions, which oftentimes have timing issues. My 'full size' Garand is now a BM59SL, so I have no need for it.