PDA

View Full Version : N05 MKI ROF (F) 11/44

gew98
August 31, 2016, 04:08
Found a decent jungle carbine this eve - am $325 into it.

It's marked

N05MKI ROF (F)
11/44 C7212

The stock and forend are decent not sanded or refinished. Bolt is a legit match. Bore is perfect. . Overall the original paint finish is maybe 50 % , but no pitting , just the beginning opf some closet rash . Milled rear sight assembly set from 2 through 8. Has England stamped on L/S of socket below safety . Barrel under handguard is typically marked .303 2.222 and the 18.5 tons stuff. Only detractors I note are the rear band is pitted a fair bit and missing sling swivel and the handguard is a homemade but decent attempt at an original.
So can a decent original handguard be found ...as well as the proper swivel ?. And is this scarce maker date combo ? - methinks it be so. First 44 dated No5 I have ever come across , and no import markings.

K. Funk
August 31, 2016, 18:05
Good find, but....Finding parts is going to be tough. I picked up a lightly sporterized Jungle Carbine a few years back with high hopes of getting parts for it. I spent over a year looking and finally gave up. Ended up selling it as I bought it. Made a few bucks, so not a bad ending.

krf

justashooter
September 01, 2016, 09:45
I bought a 12/45 sporter in excellent condx a few years ago, and discovered, as Karl did, that handguards and good forearms are unobtanium. Numrich had marketed a conversion kit that allowed remaking a #4 into a 5 clone, but they are sold out for some years. enjoy it as it is, "arsenal repairs" and all. you got a decent price.

#5 were originally designed for airborne use in the European theatre, being made March 44-Dec 47. the post Je 45 guns were generally surped unissued.

there was a batch of greek HXP surplus sold by cheaperthandirt for as little as 22 cents a round in late summer of 2014. some of us stocked up. no telling when the next batch comes in, if at all.

carmenrose9967
September 02, 2016, 10:36
I was lucky to fine a No5 mk1 with the letters F.M.P stamped on it. Federation of Malaysian Police, used in the Civil War. I needed a few small parts and found them on Ebay, it took over a year, but they do become available once in a while. Don't give up the search.:biggrin:
Rich

gew98
September 02, 2016, 16:42
I bought a 12/45 sporter in excellent condx a few years ago, and discovered, as Karl did, that handguards and good forearms are unobtanium. Numrich had marketed a conversion kit that allowed remaking a #4 into a 5 clone, but they are sold out for some years. enjoy it as it is, "arsenal repairs" and all. you got a decent price.

#5 were originally designed for airborne use in the European theatre, being made March 44-Dec 47. the post Je 45 guns were generally surped unissued.

there was a batch of greek HXP surplus sold by cheaperthandirt for as little as 22 cents a round in late summer of 2014. some of us stocked up. no telling when the next batch comes in, if at all.

I remember those "clones" ...they were the rage then as well as any "tanker" enfields. The No.5 was not apporved for manufacture until sept '44. There were alot of weird trials "lightened rifles" with about each example being a one off until the No5 MK I was a settled pattern. Have been out of enfields for some time myself...but getting back into them is quite fun again. Reloading for the 303 can make a tack driver out of 'em...especially my patt'14.

Timmo
September 03, 2016, 15:16
I've just picked one up last Tuesday dated 1944 for NZ $150 that has been converted into a "bush banger". These were quite popular because of their size for knocking over pigs in the heavy undergrowth.This one is typical in that the bayonet lug and flash eliminator have been cut off and sometimes they will have had a scope attached. http://i345.photobucket.com/albums/p390/barbtimecc83gz34kt886sn7/11406008_zpsqzrijfc5.jpg (http://s345.photobucket.com/user/barbtimecc83gz34kt886sn7/media/11406008_zpsqzrijfc5.jpg.html)

Jarhead504
September 04, 2016, 16:05
I've just picked one up last Tuesday dated 1944 for NZ $150 that has been converted into a "bush banger". These were quite popular because of their size for knocking over pigs in the heavy undergrowth.This one is typical in that the bayonet lug and flash eliminator have been cut off and sometimes they will have had a scope attached. http://i345.photobucket.com/albums/p390/barbtimecc83gz34kt886sn7/11406008_zpsqzrijfc5.jpg (http://s345.photobucket.com/user/barbtimecc83gz34kt886sn7/media/11406008_zpsqzrijfc5.jpg.html)

Sweet! and for just $150? Blimey!

Jarhead

Timmo
September 06, 2016, 00:32
Sweet! and for just $150? Blimey!

Jarhead

This one is a bit munted with the backyard hacksaw job and because it has no crowning it will shoot like shit so good for parts or a fix up bush rifle. The really good WW2 dated examples fetch NZ$500-$600.... and to be honest they still shoot like shit .. haha

Timmo
September 06, 2016, 00:36
Found a decent jungle carbine this eve - am $325 into it.

It's marked

N05MKI ROF (F)
11/44 C7212

The stock and forend are decent not sanded or refinished. Bolt is a legit match. Bore is perfect. . Overall the original paint finish is maybe 50 % , but no pitting , just the beginning opf some closet rash . Milled rear sight assembly set from 2 through 8. Has England stamped on L/S of socket below safety . Barrel under handguard is typically marked .303 2.222 and the 18.5 tons stuff. Only detractors I note are the rear band is pitted a fair bit and missing sling swivel and the handguard is a homemade but decent attempt at an original.
So can a decent original handguard be found ...as well as the proper swivel ?. And is this scarce maker date combo ? - methinks it be so. First 44 dated No5 I have ever come across , and no import markings.

Tt was made at Royal Ordinance Factory , Fazakerley ... cheers

gew98
September 06, 2016, 18:39
Tt was made at Royal Ordinance Factory , Fazakerley ... cheers

I had my book "Ther British Service Lee" in my hands the night I went to look it over ,. It helped me make the deal....for if it were indian it would have been a non starter.

tac-40
September 06, 2016, 23:51
Timmo, Apex has a replacement FH and Sight bases in stock. Not NOS but pretty good re-manufactures.

Apex: https://www.apexgunparts.com/enfield-5-front-sight-base-w-flash-hider-new-production.html

Timmo
September 07, 2016, 01:04
Timmo, Apex has a replacement FH and Sight bases in stock. Not NOS but pretty good re-manufactures.

Apex: https://www.apexgunparts.com/enfield-5-front-sight-base-w-flash-hider-new-production.html

Thanks for that ... didn't know they repro'd them ... cheers