PDA

View Full Version : Savage style barrel nut for M1A?

jak se mate
August 18, 2016, 20:40
Is there an option for a Savage style barrel nut for the M1A? Did some searching on some barrel manufactures like Criterion who make M1a barrels and couldn't find anything.

Thanks in advance.

Jarhead504
August 18, 2016, 20:46
How would that work? The op-rod has to travel full aft for the rifle to function. Nothing can interfere with it.

Jarhead

jak se mate
August 18, 2016, 22:00
I have a "working" knowledge of the M1A but it looks like there would be enough clearance between the receiver/barrel and OP rod for a barrel nut:

http://i64.tinypic.com/13yo40w.jpg

ArtBanks
August 19, 2016, 04:37
No need for a lock nut. The barrel shoulder already performs that function.

jak se mate
August 19, 2016, 05:33
No need for a lock nut. The barrel shoulder already performs that function.

I was hoping for a barrel nut option for a DIY barrel replacement without a lathe. Identical to the Savage or the Rem-age barrels.

ArtBanks
August 19, 2016, 07:05
I was hoping for a barrel nut option for a DIY barrel replacement without a lathe. Identical to the Savage or the Rem-age barrels.

If you are using a good quality receiver like Bula Defense and one of their barrels or USGI no need for a lathe. I have had no problem with Chicom,Fed Ord,Fulton,LRB, James River and Bula Defense receivers. All have screwed on and torqued to proper index without a problem. A quick action with a pull through reamer and we are off to the races.