PDA

View Full Version : Who's got 5.56 AK mags in stock??

Near Sighted Sniper
August 15, 2016, 06:22
I've looked at the usual places & no luck, do you guys have any secret stashes that you use for these mags?
Thanks in advance.

pre1989
August 15, 2016, 23:55
What kind ?

I assume bulgy 556?

I would check AK files first there MP seems to get them now and then ..After that Gunbroker then Kvar last

Stoned_Oli
August 19, 2016, 07:24
If you aren't picky, my understanding is that Tapco Golani/Galil mags work well. I sold my .223 Saiga before I could confirm this, but they are in stock and cheap.

http://www.midwayusa.com/Product/943637/tapco-magazine-galil-century-golani-sporter-223-remington-30-round-polymer-black

TnHawk-45
August 21, 2016, 20:28
I would ask 'what kind' also.

For example there are two different Chinese versions and their mags do not work in the other.

Then there is the Romanian versions, the Bulgarian, the Yugo's and finally the Russian ones.

Oh yes you also have to include the Israeli one and the Finn.

:devil::biggrin:

Near Sighted Sniper
August 22, 2016, 12:41
At the time that I posted this question I was considering buying an Arsenal side folder in 556. The guy selling had a decent price on it but I never buy a firearm without finding out what mag prices/ availability is. So I posted the ? here then looked at all of the usual suspects like aim surplus, CDNN & came to the conclusion that the mags are way too expensive & too hard to find for my taste.

It would be nice to have an AK in 556, oh wait.... I already have 2 Galil clones & about 2 dozen mags for them so I guess I'll have to make due with those!!!
I LOVE my Galil's. Maybe one day I'll buy a .308 version

mountainman
August 24, 2016, 17:17
If you aren't picky, my understanding is that Tapco Golani/Galil mags work well. I sold my .223 Saiga before I could confirm this, but they are in stock and cheap.

http://www.midwayusa.com/Product/943637/tapco-magazine-galil-century-golani-sporter-223-remington-30-round-polymer-black

confused? .223=5.56X45 and AK =5.45X39 ok, so diam diff is insignificant, but the the length diff is 6mm, doesn't that mess up the geometry of the magazine feeding angle?

TnHawk-45
August 25, 2016, 17:45
confused? .223=5.56X45 and AK =5.45X39 ok, so diam diff is insignificant, but the the length diff is 6mm, doesn't that mess up the geometry of the magazine feeding angle?

There are AKs that are in 5.56 as well as 5.45x39. Some AK 74 mags can work in .223 guns after they are modified. For example when they started importing the SAR3 into the US they had NO pure 223 mags for them yet as the East German Weiger mags were not here yet. Century did have bakelight East German AK 74 mags which they modified with a new follower and relieving the inside of the top of the mag to accommodate the different shell shoulder. Robinson Arms later came out with their follower so 'almost' any 30 round 74 mag could be used. The 45 round ones do NOT work though even with the Robinson follower.

The Bulgarian guns are nice in that they can use a bunch of different mags. Mine runs on waffles, East German bakelights that are modified, and even runs a modified Russian 45 round Saiga magazine. The Galil mags have to be extensively modified to work. Had to mill down the sides of the mag at the top and hand fit them to the gun you are going to run them in.

Frankly KVAR is using their monopoly to keep mag prices high. At one time you could buy them from a man known as Chief Thunder on the internet for as low as $6 each! This as well as a second Bulgarian importer in Texas (Global Trades) kept KVAR's prices sort of honest and low. After Global was screwed out of being able to buy from Bulgaria and Chief Thunder going out of the business KVAR started screwing EVERYBODY on both prices and shipping!

Can we all tell KVAR pissed me off? GOOD!

Near Sighted Sniper
September 06, 2016, 21:01
I've always thought K-var had HORRIBLE prices, therefore I do my normal "vote with my wallet" thing & just refuse to buy anything from them.
If enough people did that they would be forced to have better prices.