PDA

View Full Version : S&W 36 use Fed Hydra Shoks ?

stoner
August 14, 2016, 11:12
I have a couple S&W 36, no dash that I inherited. I got this back in 1994. A couple people told me I should not use Fed Hydra Shoks in them, said they were +P and my mod 36's were not rated to handle them. A couple of other friends told me that was not true. Who's right ? Thanks in advance for replies.

Stoner

CG&L
August 14, 2016, 12:37
+P ammo is marginally higher pressure than a standard 38 spl
It probably wouldn't make any difference
That said, the Mod 36 is kinda light weight. Why take the chance when there's little to gain

I've chronoed my 36 with standard 38spl, 130gr FMJs and got 750fps. The Mod 36 just isn't a boomer

If you want to add some power to your Mod 36, trade it in for a 4"bbl, K frame in 357 Mag

A Mod 37 is my standard carry and I don't attempt to make it something it will never be. It's there to prevent problems and, if a problem must happen, it's there to help me solve the problem.

VALMET
August 14, 2016, 12:38
Generally speaking if your S&W is rated for +P it will be marked as such (ex: my Airweight is marked ".38 S&W SPL+P." That said I have an older Airweight from the mid-50s that has seen a handful of +P loads...by no means a steady diet but a few. I wouldn't recommend it but I doubt a few rounds of +P will hurt an older J-frame. However not all 38 Spl Hydra-Shoks are +P unless they've discontinued the older load?

W.E.G.
August 14, 2016, 13:30
The sights are regulated for standard 158's.

A 158 between the shirt pockets will kill a man.

A Hydra-Shok in his ass will make him mad.

SWOHFAL
August 14, 2016, 14:24
158gr. LSWCHP +P, IIRC, Remington still sells them, but you have to look hard for them and I believe they downrated them a little bit.

BUFF
August 14, 2016, 18:45
My department issued 129 grain Hydra Shocks +P for our back-ups. Nobody ever shot anything with them but we qualified with them and I shot a fair number of them and Winchester 158 grain +P in an Airweight Centennial with no issues, practiced with them because that's what would be in them if I ever needed the gun.

I put several thousand +P, both the Winchesters and a handload that was +P, through a Model 60 before that when the department didn't issue any good practice or qualification ammo and it's as tight as when new. 60 is just like your 36 just a different color.

The S&W rep told our armorers that any J frame was safe with +P and steel frame J frames don't even wear them very quickly. S&W makes aluminum framed J frames in .357 Mag now that aren't much different alloys than their older 5 shooters.

I believe that you will get tired of shooting them before they will wear your gun and have no fear of them breaking anything.

Andy the Aussie
August 15, 2016, 00:28
Back when S&W wheel guns were the issue here, M36/60s were stoked with Winchester 110gn+Ps for nearly two decades then a change to 147gn+Ps. No appreciable adverse effects with the amount of shooting that generally gets done with a J Frame. We even had some 110gn Silvertip that was not +P if the other loads to too hard on your gristle grabbers. They were actually pleasant to shoot !:beer:

hueyville
August 15, 2016, 10:59
The 90 grain Hornady Critical Defense FTX "Light" 38 Special ammo is top shelf but kind to light weight guns or light weight operators. Last two females trained are using them with no issues and range ammo was hard on them. Wife can shoot them through her Model 60 even with bone disease where breaks a wrist almost every year. Last time opening a jar of jelly. In testing they still do a lot of damage and expand reliably.

The Critical Defense® Lite™ 38 Special load is an effective, reduced recoil option for ANY shooter looking to minimize the felt recoil of their lightweight, compact personal protection revolver.

Designed with the same proven components as our Critical Defense® line of ammunition, this offering features a 90 grain FTX® bullet with a unique PINK Flex Tip®!

Am sure the pink tips will be your favorite feature. Politically correct ammo, who would have thunk it.

stoner
August 18, 2016, 02:51
The 90 grain Hornady Critical Defense FTX "Light" 38 Special ammo is top shelf but kind to light weight guns or light weight operators. Last two females trained are using them with no issues and range ammo was hard on them. Wife can shoot them through her Model 60 even with bone disease where breaks a wrist almost every year. Last time opening a jar of jelly. In testing they still do a lot of damage and expand reliably.

Am sure the pink tips will be your favorite feature. Politically correct ammo, who would have thunk it.

Thanks hueyville, I bought a box of those the other day. My local shop recommended them.