PDA

View Full Version : New Forms

catmguy445
August 12, 2016, 15:08
It may take longer than it usually does, due to a couple of things I just found out. One, the regulations for Trusts have changed within the last few days or so, and there were a LOT of people submitting applications to get them in before the law changed, which probably created a pretty sizeable backlog at the ATF.

Two, the trust law isn't the only thing that changed. I bought another suppressor last week, and began the paperwork process the next day. When I went to the Sheriff's Office to get fingerprinted and get the form signed by the Sheriff (or the designated representative), they told me that as of July 1 of this year, that isn't necessary any more and that they don't sign the form any longer.

So after getting my passport type picture (Costco is great for this), I went back to the LGS where I bought the suppressor with my fingerprint cards and photos and unsigned form, and told them what the Sheriff's Office had told me. They got on the phone and called a Gun Rights lawyer, and after a short conversation, hung up the phone and told me that I was correct, that the ATF has decided that you no longer need to have the local Top Cop sign your application and certify that in their opinion you're not a menace to society as we know it.

Of course, that also means that the old form is no longer valid, so now I have to go back to the shop and fill out yet another form on Monday so that the paperwork and my check can be sent to the ATF. With all this going on, God only knows how long it will take to get the tax stamp. The last time it was five months, and that was about two years ago, when nothing special was going on with Class III stuff. I'm figuring that I'll get approved some time next spring. Maybe.