PDA

View Full Version : 99% 550-1 Remington

MK ULTRA
August 11, 2016, 21:37
LGS has a 99+% Remington 550-1 for sale. I've read they're very reliable if kept clean. the lettering is perfect the muzzle is perfect the bluing is perfect and hasn't been reblued what's it worth?

K. Funk
August 12, 2016, 04:56
550-1's tend to have some collectability. Assuming all original and the case deflector in place, I would say around $250. If an early one and truly superb, probably closer to $400.

krf

CG&L
August 12, 2016, 07:05
A lot, not a few, of the 550s are ruined. Something very important to do is feel along the barrel maybe 6-8" from the muzzle. If there's a bulge, the rifle is ruined.
A 550 has a floating chamber and can shoot 22 Shorts. They don't always make it out and will stop 6-8" from the end. The 2nd round will bulge the barrel

The next thing to check for is the 'Bubba screw'
If the LGS will let you remove the stock, There's a big screw on the bottom of the receiver. This is the 'sear spring cup screw'.
If this screw is all torn up, you're going to have a lot of problems
Bubba doing his own gunsmithing has ruined more 550-1s than bulged barrels

MK ULTRA
August 13, 2016, 07:18
Yeah I watched some videos that said the same thing. This one's too nice to shoot ans has a long barrel too. Thanks for the good information.

ALL FAL
August 13, 2016, 18:28
If I were buying a .22 to shoot, there are three, remington long octi barreled Pump, Marlin 39A, modern savage bolt with accutrigger.

CG&L
August 13, 2016, 19:04
MK ULTRA

What happened? Did you buy it? How much are they asking?

I really like the 550-1. It's more of a full sized rifle with classic lines. Looking for a nice 550-1 at this time.

gates
August 14, 2016, 18:21
I have one I rescued from the funstore - great shooters.

MK ULTRA
August 15, 2016, 22:02
Yeah I went by there today and they still had it so I bought it. I swear it looks brand new. bluing is perfect, the bolt looks new. I took the stock off the inside looks new. That nut under the stock looks good and no bulge in the barrel. I have not shot it yet I hope it shoots good. It's got a long barrel must be 20 inches at least. I'll try and post some pics later.

It has a DA date code so that should be September 54. they were made from 46 to 70 as far as I can tell. So that's a pretty early one.