PDA

View Full Version : Rare Ammo?

catmguy445
August 10, 2016, 12:41
I was cleaning out a storage shed on my back lot this morning in preparing to install insulation in the shed. During the cleaning out process, I discovered a brick of .22LR ammo I'd forgotten was out there.

The ammo is South African Swartklip brand. I acquired this brick a few years ago when a friend of mine died who was living in California. Just before he died, he called me and asked me to get all of his guns out of California because most of them were illegal there now (which they weren't when he bought them) and he didn't want the state to confiscate them. So after his death, I made a trip to the PRC (People's Republic of California) to pick up his guns. While I was at his place I found that he also had about 12,000 rounds of .22LR of assorted brands. The Swartklip brick was part of that. Long story short, I smuggled all of his guns and the ammo back to Idaho, then later made a trip to Arizona and donated most of his guns to Jeff Cooper's Gunsite Ranch in Paulden, which Dan wanted me to do. I did, however, keep the ammo.

The Swartklip is something I've never seen before and I have no idea where Dan got it, or when. It's standard velocity lead round nose with lube on the bullet. Probably a type of target ammo. The brick is still in good to very good condition, and none of the ammo in the brick has been used. I'm not even sure that the brick has ever been opened.

Has anybody ever heard of this ammo, or does anyone have any idea what it might be worth? Or is it worth anything, other than as an interesting conversation piece?

sweetwine
August 10, 2016, 14:00
Never heard of it but all 22 LR ammo is rare now.:tongue:

Blackmore
August 10, 2016, 19:42
Google is your friend. Found a couple of SA shooters' forums discussing it which are translated from Afrikaans.

tdb59
August 10, 2016, 19:45
Shot a bunch of that brand about 25 years ago.

Johnbush
August 12, 2016, 09:45
Was sold years ago, came in brown plastic tubs of 6000 rds. Most was in white paper bricks. Was really great ammo, Was shipped all over at the time. Probably sometime in the 1980s, just remember the pallets were so heavy the forklift could only "tilt" them and even then had to have two cases on back of lift as a counter weight.

tdb59
August 12, 2016, 12:10
Was sold years ago, came in brown plastic tubs of 6000 rds. Most was in white paper bricks. Was really great ammo, Was shipped all over at the time. Probably sometime in the 1980s, just remember the pallets were so heavy the forklift could only "tilt" them and even then had to have two cases on back of lift as a counter weight.

I was shooting smallbore silhouette with the stuff in 1985-1987 IIRC,and I think we got it from Bauer's.

WILD HOND
August 12, 2016, 12:38
I grew up shooting Swartklip .22 ammo here in South Africa. Was great ammo pity because Swartklip closed down thabks to the current ANC government. They also made good shotgun rounds. Wish I could get that brick from you in the US back here to SA to me.....

Swartklip made .22 rounds in the following that I know of:

Standard velocity was the most popular
High velocity
Blitzer ( had a silver coloured shell and slightly longer shell with a copper hollow point head
Subsonics for use with a silencer.