PDA

View Full Version : Intacto Arms

catmguy445
August 04, 2016, 18:59
Intacto Arms in Boise, ID bills themselves as being a "premier gunsmithing operatin". This is a highly optimistic opinion which I completely disagree with. Several months ago I took them a 1911 lightweight Commander .45 Auto that I had bought a Bar-Sto semi-fit barrel and bushing for. The barrel was hanging up very slightly when the action was cycled by hand. Bar-Sto advertises their semi-fit barrels as needing either no fitting or very minor fitting to perform properly. I gave Intacto the gun and the barrel and asked them to make sure that the barrel fit properly. This operation shouldn't have taken more than half an hour, maybe an hour for a competent gunsmith to do. I realize that all gunsmithing shops have a backlog (if they're any good), but this should have been a fairly minor job.

They had the gun for about 3 weeks, and when I'd call on the phone, I'd get some story about why it wasn't ready yet. When they finally told me the Commander was ready to be picked up, I went over to the shop to pay them and pick up the gun. When I got to the shop and inspected the gun, the barrel was still hanging up when cycled, which hadn't been corrected. What HAD been done was that the barrel had been overpolished to the point that Bar-Sto's name on the chamber area of the barrel had been almost completely polished off (Bar-Sto machine engraves their name on their barrels), the rear locking lug had been rounded off, and the barrel link holder had been ground on to the point that it was now out of spec. In short, Intacto has made a $225 brand new Bar-Sto barrel unusable. And DIDN'T FIX THE ORIGINAL PROBLEM I BROUGHT THE GUN TO THEM FOR. I don't remember the exact amount now, but it seems to me that they charged me $150 (possibly more; I'm erring on the side of caution) to ruin a perfectly good Bar-Sto barrel.

DO NOT LET THESE PEOPLE WORK ON ANYTHING THAT YOU VALUE.

Illurian00
August 04, 2016, 19:20
Why did you pay them anything ?

catmguy445
August 06, 2016, 10:53
Why did you pay them anything ?

Because I didn't realize how badly they had screwed up the barrel until I took the gun to the range and found out that it wouldn't feed properly, then took it to a different gunsmith who actually knew how to build a 1911. The reason I didn't go to him first is that I didn't find out about him until after Intacto had ruined my new barrel. Timing really IS everything.