PDA

View Full Version : Anyone complete one of the 80% frames?

GOVT1911
August 02, 2016, 08:18
Has anyone here knocked out one of the 80% Glock frames that recently came out? I'm pretty sure polymer80.com is the only ones actually making the frames/jigs right now, but there are several places selling them.

I'm thinking about picking one up just to do it, but that means I need to source a complete slide also.

Looking around, it appears that to complete one and have a functioning pistol it's going to run around $550 or so, which is more than a new Glock goes for, but then again, I have the satisfaction of "rolling my own".

GOVT1911
August 05, 2016, 08:49
OK, I guess not. Or maybe people that buy/knock them out don't want that info being public. Personally, it doesn't bother me because the gov already knows I have guns and NFA items.

Well I went ahead and picked up a couple of the 80% glock frames. I guess I'll see how they turn out.

mike12345
August 09, 2016, 03:40
You can buy a frame off gunbroker complete. That's the problem with 80% frames/receivers you can just buy one completely done and probably cheaper

EinheitElf
August 10, 2016, 08:56
Well it is always nice to have some off the books stuff. I was thinking of getting one,buy a complete glock parts kit of gb and trying it.

only thing that worries me compared to a rifle build is that if the frame fails the slide will hit you straight in the face. Which is the single major flaw with the C96 mauser, the bolt stop on that thing is the only thing keeping the bolt from flying out. Have to make sure it is in primo shape. But i cut the C96 some slack because it is so cool and was ,is still a manufacturing marvel of the late 19th,early 20th century.

GOVT1911
August 10, 2016, 11:07
Well, the frame and jig arrived yesterday, I guess I'll see what's what this weekend.

As for being able to buy a complete frame on GB, that's true. I can also buy 100% AR lowers. Yes, it might cost a little more to knock one of the 80s out, but in addition to having one not "on the books" anywhere, it's also nice to be able to say "I built this". Kinda the same reason I got into FALs in the first place. ;)

LKY_13
August 13, 2016, 12:40
Funny, I was just looking into these. My only issue is the look of the frame, but still cool, none the less. Please keep us posted as to how it goes.

GOVT1911
August 15, 2016, 13:42
Will do. I didn't get to it this weekend, hopefully will be able to knock one out next weekend.

It doesn't appear TOO difficult. Maybe a couple hours with a drill press and a little elbow grease and sandpaper.

HighRatMaster
August 15, 2016, 19:30
Did you find a source for the complete slide and lower parts?

:fal:

GOVT1911
August 16, 2016, 00:51
Did you find a source for the complete slide and lower parts?

Several. I picked mine up locally from a buddy that lives Glock and had some laying around, but found several places online that sell them. Glockparts.com and Lonewolf are a couple off the top of my head.

Andy the Aussie
August 16, 2016, 05:03
Any proud Jeep owner should be very familiar with products that are only 80% of the real deal... :uhoh: :uhoh: :D :D :bigangel: :beer:

HighRatMaster
August 16, 2016, 10:44
Any proud Jeep owner should be very familiar with products that are only 80% of the real deal... :uhoh: :uhoh: :D :D :bigangel: :beer:

Oh man.... that's just mean. :devil:

Still got that G34 upper layin' around? ;)

GOVT1911
August 16, 2016, 13:52

I'm kinda curious WHO the losers of WWII copied the basic design of the FJ40 from?

Andy the Aussie
August 16, 2016, 14:30
Oh man.... that's just mean. :devil:

Still got that G34 upper layin' around? ;)

:fal: ..... yep...yet to jam it on my 17 and go 'a banging.. ;)

I'm kinda curious WHO the losers of WWII copied the basic design of the FJ40 from? ... touché, But 70yrs on and one has progressed, innovated and conquered the harshest corners of the world... and one is STILL a Jeep :tongue::devil:

Artful
August 20, 2016, 00:55
... touché, But 70yrs on and one has progressed, innovated and conquered the harshest corners of the world... and one is STILL a Jeep :tongue::devil:

Yes, I see the Toyota HiLux carrying terrorists all over the world.

GOVT1911
August 20, 2016, 12:49
Yes, I see the Toyota HiLux carrying terrorists all over the world.

I've never shot at any Jeeps, but HAVE used 5.56, 7.62 and .50 BMG on a few Toyotas. They're tough, but not THAT tough. ;)

FalDoc1982
August 20, 2016, 15:28
Their prototype G19 frames look pretty good, I still haven't got to the G17 polymer 80 frame I got but it seems well made. Though now would be the time to grab a G19 slide since the price of the 17 slide went up as soon as the 80% frames came out.

Andy the Aussie
August 20, 2016, 15:56
I've never shot at any Jeeps, but HAVE used 5.56, 7.62 and .50 BMG on a few Toyotas. ....... :cry::cry::cry::cry: :biggrin::biggrin::biggrin: and that was just on a local 4x4 track when they had left you stuck ?? :devil::devil:

JR in the NW
August 22, 2016, 22:32
Wow! Was this thread ever hijacked.

Gary104
August 23, 2016, 00:22
They can't help it.

Andy the Aussie
August 23, 2016, 00:24
Wow! Was this thread ever hijacked. ....... I do not know what you mean.... ;)

But to keep it on track...

My Glock..

http://i997.photobucket.com/albums/af98/Andy_the_Aussie/AdultSupervision1.jpg (http://s997.photobucket.com/user/Andy_the_Aussie/media/AdultSupervision1.jpg.html)

GOVT1911
October 07, 2016, 20:29
Quick update: pretty easy to complete. First one took maybe 3 hours total because I was triple checking and taking my time. Second one was under an hour with most of that fitting the rear rails.

GOVT1911
October 07, 2016, 20:33
Oh, and for one of them i just bought an AA.. 22lr conversion slide and a G17. 17 slide went on 80% lower, .22 slide went on the factory frame.

michael_g927
October 16, 2016, 17:31
What amazes me that those WWll losers created a jeep that the gubment not only thought superior, but actually bought a slew of em and fought the Korean War with em!

Fn/form
December 04, 2016, 18:15
Recoil has an article on this 80% thing. And a few cringe photos :D

http://www.recoilweb.com/polymer-80-80-pistol-frame-v-1-the-ghost-glock-119466.html

L Haney
December 04, 2016, 18:31
Well it is always nice to have some off the books stuff.

I don't agree. "Off the book" stuff that is legal to have but might be on a list somewhere on the books just ain't worth the bother.

Off the books stuff is worth it for high explosives, destructive devices, weapons of mass destruction and unlicensed pussy.

Anything short of those and you're just jerking off.

Remember, humans commit crimes. We've sat around like morons and let politicians decide things can be guilty by their very existence.

That's bullshit from the get go.

Invictus77
December 04, 2016, 19:59
I don't agree....

....We've sat around like morons and let politicians decide things can be guilty by their very existence.

Quoted for posterity :bow:

Wil-C
December 05, 2016, 16:34
Quick update: pretty easy to complete. First one took maybe 3 hours total because I was triple checking and taking my time. Second one was under an hour with most of that fitting the rear rails.

maybe I simply didn't see it, a website for the 80% lowers? This sounds very worthwhile.

Wil-C
December 05, 2016, 16:37
I don't agree. "Off the book" stuff that is legal to have but might be on a list somewhere on the books just ain't worth the bother.

Off the books stuff is worth it for high explosives, destructive devices, weapons of mass destruction and unlicensed pussy.

Anything short of those and you're just jerking off.

Remember, humans commit crimes. We've sat around like morons and let politicians decide things can be guilty by their very existence.

I don't agree. I can think of multiple situations and reasons from those situation where 'legal' firearms albeit 'off-the-books' is a good insurance policy. And not due to owner engaging in anything unlawful.

Add edit: Had the Red Queen been elected, that would have produced several scenarios where an 80% built firearm would have been good insurance.

Sagerider
December 19, 2016, 17:35
Dang! After reading this post I decided to go check out Getbroker for complete Glock frames. I was considering an 80% but was not all that sure about wanting to go that route.
Well, a short story made even shorter I bought a 100% gen 3 Glock 34 lower for $185.00 out the door with a $25.00 FFL fee on the receiving end. This is a brand spanking new frame with the target trigger upgrade, 3.5 pound target trigger, and the extended mag and slide release. This frame is the same as a G17 and works on my .22 upper as well.
I am very happy with my decision to go with a genuine Glock lower in this case.

PS
After talking with the guy selling the Glock lowers I bought another one!
Merry Christmas to ME!
The guy told me the 80% units are coming out with rear steel rails sometime in the near future, big improvement he said.

TurnkeyNomo
December 31, 2016, 19:11
I know a guy who completed an 80% frame and it wouldn't run with my always reliable glock 22 upper. He's an idiot so I'd say 60-40 he fucked it up.

ALL FAL
January 06, 2017, 22:07
OK, I guess not. Or maybe people that buy/knock them out don't want that info being public. Personally, it doesn't bother me because the gov already knows I have guns and NFA items.

Well I went ahead and picked up a couple of the 80% glock frames. I guess I'll see how they turn out.

ANY UPDATE??? How do those 80%ers shoot? Thanks Man.

ALL FAL
January 06, 2017, 22:22
I'm kinda curious WHO the losers of WWII copied the basic design of the FJ40 from?

I know the straight six was a copy of the 235 Chevy engine, in fact, Most of the drivetrain was copied from American Hardware, The Body, I'm Not sure, Maybe get a hold of Toyota Factory archives people.

Sorry Bout the derail.

the gman
January 07, 2017, 15:25
The big sell for me was the 1911 grip angle rather than anything to do with off the books BS. Waiting for one in desert to arrive at my favorite wholesaler before I jump. Now if the steel rails can be molded in, I'd be much more apt to run one for work... :bigangel:

GOVT1911
January 11, 2017, 09:29
ANY UPDATE??? How do those 80%ers shoot? Thanks Man.

Sorry, just saw this. I've completed 2 myself and helped a buddy knock one out. All 3 run great NOW. The biggest pain was getting the rear polymer rails right. I'm ASSUMING that they really don't play that big of a part in anything and the front steel rail insert is basically what holds it all together.

I took my time doing the rear rails, used a fine file and 200grit sandpaper to get them to the correct depth and clean them up.

Bert762
January 26, 2017, 21:57
All I can say is they work and run well.If you can do a 80% at 15, these are a piece of cake. Just take your time.

Sagerider
January 29, 2017, 11:57
Got this today. Looks like a good price and has all you need except a magazine, barrel and slide.

https://www.deltateamtactical.com/Polymer-80-Glock-80-Pistol-Kit-Includes-Jig-Tools-Lower-Parts-Kit-EZ-To-Build-Super-HOT-_p_5093.html

Bertellione
March 02, 2017, 03:16
The g19 model has started shipping and looks great.

michael_g927
March 13, 2017, 01:46
The US government thought enough of toyota to purchase FJs to fight the koreans with. Wonder why they turned their back on Willys Overland?

grumpy1
March 15, 2017, 15:14
To me these don't make any sense, by the time one gets all the parts gathered up to finish one of these 80% frames your into it as much if not more than just buying a Glock from the LGS. Then if you do get tired of it and try to sell it at best your not going to be able to get your money back out of it, you might as well take $500 or so and throw it in the garage. Also, if you screw up on drilling/milling part of it out, you could have a plastic paper weight at best and at worst an unsafe firearm that could just blow up in your hand.

Now, for those of you who want a gun off the books, that's where local private sells come in, where legal. I've boughtand sold many guns this way, some times I have them sign a bill of sale sometimes not. The T/C Contender I sold awhile back, I didn't even get the guys last name but I also don't think it's the type of gun that is going to be used in criminal activity either.

John A
March 15, 2017, 19:43
I can buy a used one of craigs list cheaper than I can build/make a new one from an 80.

yovinny
March 21, 2017, 15:06
I can buy a used one of craigs list cheaper than I can build/make a new one from an 80.

You've seen a pistol, or any firearm, listed on a Craigs list ??

John A
March 21, 2017, 19:12
Sure have.

yovinny
March 24, 2017, 08:51
Sure have.

I'm surprised,,,Here they might get away with a bow or knife, but i've seen posts for paint ball and soft air guns get pulled....
At least I assume they were pulled,,,their usually gone when I recheck the next day...

TurnkeyNomo
March 28, 2017, 17:47
I'm surprised,,,Here they might get away with a bow or knife, but i've seen posts for paint ball and soft air guns get pulled....
At least I assume they were pulled,,,their usually gone when I recheck the next day...

I think it depends where you live. I live in a pretty gun friendly area. People sell guns on craigslist all the time. Ever seen the toilet paper roll trick? Put a toilet paper roll over the barrel of a rifle you may not be too fond of. Then put the roll of toilet paper up for sale in Craigslist sporting goods for lets say $800 and state the dispenser is included.

yovinny
March 30, 2017, 08:35
I think it depends where you live. I live in a pretty gun friendly area. People sell guns on craigslist all the time. Ever seen the toilet paper roll trick? Put a toilet paper roll over the barrel of a rifle you may not be too fond of. Then put the roll of toilet paper up for sale in Craigslist sporting goods for lets say $800 and state the dispenser is included.

I live in Western KY..Gun Friendly is an understatement.
But that dosent change that Craigslist does not allow 'weapons',,of any kind.
I surf craigslist from St. Louis to Indy to Nashville,almost daily,,And I've never seen a real gun posted.
They maybe post and get away with it for a few hrs,,never overnight.
If you 'see it all the time', please post a link..I'd really like to see one..

rdb241
April 04, 2017, 11:36
I live in Western KY..Gun Friendly is an understatement.
But that dosent change that Craigslist does not allow 'weapons',,of any kind.
I surf craigslist from St. Louis to Indy to Nashville,almost daily,,And I've never seen a real gun posted.
They maybe post and get away with it for a few hrs,,never overnight.
If you 'see it all the time', please post a link..I'd really like to see one..

I have seen several adds for guns on craigslist in the Seattle area. But they are listed as something else with code words.

rdb241
April 04, 2017, 11:53
I thought I would post the three 80%ers I have completed. The actual machining takes only about 20 minutes. It takes longer to put all the parts in the frame. From top to bottom. G22, G17, G19. They are really easy to complete.

http://i473.photobucket.com/albums/rr97/rdb241/IMG_2766_zpskwrly2wq.jpg (http://s473.photobucket.com/user/rdb241/media/IMG_2766_zpskwrly2wq.jpg.html)

GOVT1911
April 04, 2017, 15:11
To me these don't make any sense, by the time one gets all the parts gathered up to finish one of these 80% frames your into it as much if not more than just buying a Glock from the LGS. Then if you do get tired of it and try to sell it at best your not going to be able to get your money back out of it, you might as well take $500 or so and throw it in the garage. Also, if you screw up on drilling/milling part of it out, you could have a plastic paper weight at best and at worst an unsafe firearm that could just blow up in your hand.

Now, for those of you who want a gun off the books, that's where local private sells come in, where legal. I've boughtand sold many guns this way, some times I have them sign a bill of sale sometimes not. The T/C Contender I sold awhile back, I didn't even get the guys last name but I also don't think it's the type of gun that is going to be used in criminal activity either.

Satisfaction of rolling my own.

D. Short
April 04, 2017, 21:53
I have been fighting the urge to take one of these on....but when I saw Brownells had them for 69 bucks, I folded like a cheap pup tent. Can't wait to get it!!!

randy762ak
April 08, 2017, 15:38
Midway has them for $69.00 with mill bit and drill bit !

NOW--- WHY???? as in Is is much cheaper To do a 80% kit Than just buy a Used Glock >?

HighRatMaster
April 08, 2017, 16:50
Midway has them for $69.00 with mill bit and drill bit !

NOW--- WHY???? as in Is is much cheaper To do a 80% kit Than just buy a Used Glock >?

Where do you get the parts to complete them and how much are they?

Bertellione
April 13, 2017, 02:03
If you want to build an 80% Glock then do the 19 it's their new model and comes with steal rear rails.

rdb241
April 30, 2017, 11:26
a lot if youtube vids to show you how