PDA

View Full Version : Shane gun & rig

chino*74
July 31, 2016, 21:54
Yes that is my dream gun & holster, nickel Colt SAA 7.5 inch barrel with no front sight, the holster with cast silver wagon wheels on it....& not to forget those horse head ivory grips.

http://www.dvd-covers.org/d/315221-2/ShaneBDCLTv1.jpg

Bawana jim
August 01, 2016, 00:20
I really like the Colt SAA, I keep looking at them on gun broker as only one shop around here carries them. I really want one....
:facepalm:

Edited to add, I like the gun and rig Henry Fonda wore in Once Upon a Time in the West....

chino*74
August 01, 2016, 22:09
I have 2 Uberti's, one is a Beretta Stampede which was the first generation for Uberti under the Beretta banner, blued 5.5 in. barrel & it is the tightest positive lock up, solid SAA I have. The other is a 4.5 in. barrel Uberti Horseman which is also very nice.

The Colt's R over rated, but ya I would still like to have one. U R paying up the nose even for a 3rd gen. gun IMO & Uberti's R probably better fitted revolvers. U just don't get the rearing horse stamped on it ( U can add about $800 to the price for that little stamped horse logo), I can live without that. Uberti makes some fine Nickel plated 7.5 inchers. It's on my bucket list.

Holster / belt & grips R much harder to find to replicate that Shane look. There is a guy on the internet that does an exact Shane holster with cast silver wagon wheels, the whole rig, he wants over 2 thousand for it to make it...a bit too steep for me, silver is not that expensive yet.

The horse head grips also hard to find...I have seen a few around., just not the exact look. I can find em though I am pretty sure, faux ivory.

Ya 'Franks' rig was good too & BTW that was an Uberti 7 1/2 inch nickel .45 SAA. As Frank said 'End of the line...' & Harmonica says 'Yaaa....' cause he finally found that fugger! :)

Bawana jim
August 01, 2016, 22:29
Bought a Mitchel 45 lc a long time ago and first time I shot it the firing pin broke. I haven't had a lot of success with the spaghetti guns but my friend does well with his at the old west shoots. If I buy a Colt it's to shoot and because I ain't rich I will end up buying Elpaso leather. It's just to have one and fun to shoot. Some guns are made for fun and nostalgia and a nice colt is on the bucket list.

Like to get one that's engraved, but but we'll maybe I should...:rofl:

chino*74
August 01, 2016, 22:42
QC was sometimes an issue w the older Italian guns but nowadays the Uberti's R top drawer in every aspect IMO. Ya if U can get a Colt go for it :)

U can get the tradition 5 with hammer firing pin or the transfer bar for safe carry w six (I prefer).

Bawana jim
August 01, 2016, 22:49
I check gun brokers all the time looking for the right SAA. Sooner or later a Colt will be mine. You can't find them around here but I will get one, I am patient, that's what gets you fellers in the end (Angel and the Badman):rofl:

chino*74
August 01, 2016, 23:10
I have not checked the prices on GB lately for Colts. I should go look. OK I looked :(

All my extra cash is going into re-building up my 67' Baja Bug into a total off road desert beast & retro fitting my Chevy 1984 K5 Blazer with a 383 stroker engine & TH400 transmission & new 6 leaf springs x 4. Or about 4 or more Colt SAA's worth of $$$$.

Bawana jim
August 01, 2016, 23:35
I tend to hunt for a deal on what I want, they will come around someday and for a good price.... Seems like a lot of good stuff never makes it to the gun stores in Oregon. Biggest dealer in the state says" if I don't have it then you don't need it". I have never seen a Colt SAA in his stock of guns. Colts seem to hold their value for those who value Colts, I figure I will find one for between $800 and $1200...

chino*74
August 01, 2016, 23:42
U might find one in that price range from a personal encounter or someone that knows someone but off GB I have my doubts, not saying it cannot happen. I assume U R looking for .45 Colt? What barrel length? The other option is to find one off BG that is layaway, U will pay for it more so than up front cash but at least U could get it over time.

Bawana jim
August 02, 2016, 00:04
45 Colt or 44 special will suit me just fine. Want a 7.5 or the short barrel but prefer the 7.5. Friend bought a nice blue ch 5.5 2 years ago for $950 but he had hunted for years to find it. Guy about 60 miles from me has a nice collection of new guns and ever so often he will sell for $1650. Just a little steep right now...:eek:

MAINER
August 02, 2016, 07:33
Good luck on the .44 Special BJ, if ya find one let me know if they got another one I could have. :D

Cimarron does a good job of finishing up Uberti's and I suspect that got the Italian's motivated to do better along with demands from the SASS crowd. Probably didn't hurt that Beretta bought the company several years ago.

Shane's six-shooter would be cool, but I got to have a front sight. :sad:
A clone that I like is "The man with no name" from Cimarron, I think.

Don't have a favorite barrel length as I have SA's in 4 5/8", 4 1/2", and 7 1/2".
The short one looks cool, but the mid one has better balance for me.

Kind of surprised to find out that Jim Arness actually used a Great Western SA in Gunsmoke. I have a one in .357 Mag with 7 1/2" barrel that is a good shooter, but it's not up to snuff to a Colt in quality.

Chino; I think you're right about the new Uberti's. Was looking at a 4 5/8" in .357 recently and was very impressed with the lock-up and finish of it. The mirror bright polish of the SS finish and Pearl grips was just too much bling for me however. Maybe for a "Sunday, go to meeting" piece.

Bawana jim
August 02, 2016, 09:23
Yep, watched three old Eastwood flicks yesterday.....:D

chino*74
August 02, 2016, 09:36
Great Western revolvers are pretty rare, these days; they made a lot of replicas for TV & film back in the day.

Bawana jim
August 02, 2016, 09:57
About six of them on GB

http://www.gunbroker.com/item/574802296

MAINER
August 02, 2016, 13:05
That faux engraved pair isn't a bad price at $662 ea, but I think one could get a new Uberti or Cimmarron if just looking for a shooter.

Sept. '59 Guns magazine has an ad listing them at $106.50 in any length and caliber including 38 and 44 Special.

The GW's had a "funky" looking hammer due to the frame mounted firing pin, but that was a goody with a .357 Mag's pressures. It looked funny, but was OK as long as you didn't go around with your hammer cocked. :tongue:

There was a nice SA from Hammereli ? years back, but the grip frame had an odd shape to it and I never took a liking to it. It did look purty, however.

Have a cheap Uberti "Regulator" in 45 Colt that shoots where the sights are pointed for some reason. :?
Don't like the brass grip frame on it, but haven't found a replacement as yet.

Bawana jim
August 02, 2016, 13:22
Friend has a Sauer SAA in 44 mag that is heavy, brass frame and shoots straight as can be for fixed sights. Nice copy of Colt in a German way but not what I want.

MACV
August 02, 2016, 20:26
I have a Hawes 357 SAA made by JP Sauer and Sohn. It was made in the 60s. I read that a lot of the western TV shows used those back in the day due to the lower cost..

chino*74
August 02, 2016, 21:52
A lot of importers (Taylor, Cimmeron, Mitchell?, others) R simply Uberti's rebranded. If it was an original Uberti it will be stamped somewhere most likely along with I guess whatever importer stamp is on there.

After about 2001 or 2002 the Uberti's really upped their QC & they have been well built. I am not so sure about folks that say the metallurgy is inferior to Colt or others, maybe with the much older models I can believe that but someone needs to show me that current production guns have inferior strength, I am doubtful.

BTW I thought Great Western went out of business in the mid 60's?

Bawana jim
August 03, 2016, 07:06
I wouldn't be suprised if the new Colt SAA was made by Uberti, seems like everything now is farmed out.

MAINER
August 03, 2016, 08:38
A lot of importers (Taylor, Cimmeron, Mitchell?, others) R simply Uberti's rebranded. If it was an original Uberti it will be stamped somewhere most likely along with I guess whatever importer stamp is on there.
BTW I thought Great Western went out of business in the mid 60's?

Yup, the original company did fold in 62, but Early & Modern Firearms (EMF) has resurrected the 1873 Great Western II that are available now. EMF has their name on that old ad in "Guns" Sept. '59 magazine so they have been tied to the Great Westerns for some time. Think they are made by Pietta, not positive about that.
Pietta sold a SA they called the Great Western model under their own name at one time.

Bawana jim; "I wouldn't be suprised if the new Colt SAA was made by Uberti, seems like everything now is farmed out."

Colt has had pistols made by Uberti for them in the past. I have a Colt 3rd Model Dragoon that has Uberti marks and proofs stamped on the frame.

Bawana jim
August 13, 2016, 15:28
Well you guys corrupted me and I ended up buying a SAA Colt in 44 special. Nickle and 7.5 barrel and it looks just like Frank's gun in Once Upon a time in the West. Took it out Thursday for a shooting session and I am well pleased with its accuracy. Don't ask the cost...:facepalm:

Texgunner
August 13, 2016, 16:27
Well dang, all this single-action talk just reinvigorates my "jones" for a S&W Schofield replica. Man, I can't afford that! Or, the ammo to shoot through it...alas,not a handloader.

$4500 for an engraved Schofield from S&W:

http://www.smith-wesson.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/Product4_750001_750051_765852_-1_757751_757751_757751_ProductDisplayErrorView_Y

Bawana jim
August 13, 2016, 18:37
Smiths just don't feel right in the hand but I like the looks of them. Lots of westerns where they future them on the main star.

MAINER
August 13, 2016, 19:29
Well dang, all this single-action talk just reinvigorates my "jones" for a S&W Schofield replica. Man, I can't afford that! Or, the ammo to shoot through it...alas,not a handloader.

$4500 for an engraved Schofield from S&W:

http://www.smith-wesson.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/Product4_750001_750051_765852_-1_757751_757751_757751_ProductDisplayErrorView_Y

Yeah, that's PRICEY! Think I saw one on GN for near $7K, might be the same, not sure.

If you can do without the chicken scratching, plain Schofields are about for $800 or $900.

As you said, all this Single Action talk has led me to stumble upon a Model P in .44 Special, dang it! :redface:
Not a Colt, but it's ONLY $463.68 or so from Cimmaron. I don't see how I can live another day without one. :facepalm:

BJ; Wasn't going to ask about the Colt, know better. But, it IS a Colt! Enjoy!

Bawana jim
August 13, 2016, 19:42
So I took it to the range and checked with six shots the group on paper, it was slightly high or I was just too happy shooting it. Group was as good as I can shoot so time for some steel targets to get a good feeling for faster shooting. 6 inch targets at 15 yards and standing with two hand grip. Hit the first one and I was grining too much to keep shooting, gun is all I had hoped for.

Now I have 100 rounds to reload so it's a gift that keeps on giving...:D

MAINER
August 13, 2016, 20:58
So I took it to the range and checked with six shots the group on paper, it was slightly high or I was just too happy shooting it. Group was as good as I can shoot so time for some steel targets to get a good feeling for faster shooting. 6 inch targets at 15 yards and standing with two hand grip. Hit the first one and I was grining too much to keep shooting, gun is all I had hoped for.

Now I have 100 rounds to reload so it's a gift that keeps on giving...:D

Are you using the standard 250 gr lead boolit?
I have an older Cimmaron 71/2" in 45 Colt that I can only get to shoot near POA vertically with 200 gr ACP slugs. Needs a higher front sight, but with a nice charcoal blue finish, that's a problem.

Nothing like a day at the range with an old "Thumbuster" and a bucket of ammo. :biggrin:

Bawana jim
August 13, 2016, 21:25
I use a 240 grain bullet and 231 powder to get about 750fps. It has modest recoil and not a lot of smoke. It shoots dead to the sights or a hair high. Now I need a holster, thinking Elpaso Saddlery...

http://www.epsaddlery.com/popup.aspx?src=images/Product/large/65.jpg

chino*74
August 13, 2016, 23:33
Nice BJ, really glad U found a Colt U like! R U thinking of getting a western rig or just a belt / field holster? What kind of grips did U get w it? Get a Frank rig! :)

Bawana jim
August 13, 2016, 23:53
Nice BJ, really glad U found a Colt U like! R U thinking of getting a western rig or just a belt / field holster? What kind of grips did U get w it? Get a Frank rig! :)

I really want a rig like Frank's but I will buy something until I can get a maker who will copy it for me. Just has wood grips for now, I like the looks of stag but it might be hard to find..

chino*74
August 14, 2016, 00:14
U can get faux stag that looks pretty good or hold out for some real deal stags. Myself I prefer one piece grips / dark wood, got 2 sets one for each of my Ubertis that I really like..

lotta good holster makers out there. I don't think Fonda wore a drop loop holster cause if I recall his rig rode the gun fairly high like a straight belt / holster combo. U could easily find a nice rig along those lines.

I have a nice sorta Honda stye all black straight , no drop loop, I prefer that style myself. Often times though I revert to cartridge belt & stick the Uberti on Mex stle, no holster....sorta like Kid Rio, from Brando's character in 'One Eyed Jacks' probably my all time favorite western for an American Western....

BUFF
August 14, 2016, 00:19
Yeah, the Colt SAA's have always been stupid pricey. Colt still makes all of their own. The black powder replicas were the only ones made for them in Italy. USFA started out building their clones with unfinished Italian parts but gradually tooled up to make their own for a few years before they went out of business. Lots of the later Italian clones' parts are interchangeable with Colt parts. The Colts probably don't shoot any better than the good Italians from what I've seen.

I bought 2 7-1/2 inchers about 1978-1979 on closeout for $299 each, a nickel ..45 and a blue/CH .44 Special. Great deal even then. I don't shoot the nickel one much as the front sight disappears in sunlight and I don't like the indoor ranges around here. .44 Special one shoots like a dream.

Picked up a new 4-3/4 inch .45 Colt when a gun store was closing and got a deal on that. I found a blue 4-3/4 New Frontier in .44-40 with an aux. .44 Special cylinder, used but looked unfired, a couple years after that. I had been looking for one of those I could afford for 25 years at the time and it was the first one I ever saw locally.

It's funny to show up at the range with an FAL and a SAA. You get looks from your friends and strangers.

Too limited an income now to ever buy another but the ones I've got are probably enough. I'm lucky to have them and lucky to have been able to hang onto them. Like said, they hold their value really well when you have to sell one, good for the seller but bad for the buyer.

Bawana jim
August 14, 2016, 00:37
I believe the quality of the steel is better in the Colts as I have seen a lot of unusual wear in the clones. Friend has been trying to sell me his spaghetti guns but the deep drag marks in the cylinder and the dings in the bolt cuts have steered me away from buying them. He doesn't shoot much so the wear is excessive for the age of the guns.

I do like the 44 special a lot..:biggrin: it's the same round I shoot in my suppressed Ruger 44 bolt action. If I would have been smart I would have bought Colts back when they were cheaper but the semi autos held my attention for a lot of years.

Grips and a holster now.. and maybe I can find some Nickle cases in 44 for the belt.:smile:

BUFF
August 14, 2016, 01:10
I just use Safariland lined high ride holsters for mine, on Safariland looped 2" belts. I bought them long ago and very glad one of them was way too big back then because it fits now! A lot of the cowboy holster and belt rigs you folks mentioned are sure beautiful but I'd be afraid to use one for fear of staining it or something.

.44 Special is my favorite handgun round. I use home cast 250 grain SWCs over 7.5 grains of Unique. About 900 fps out of most guns. The traditional R-P and W-W factory loads with the 246 grain round nose lead only chronos about 700 fps, accurate but mouse fart power.

I've never seen nickel .44 Special cases. Maybe some cowboy action shooter stuff is loaded with them. I've seen photos of CAS matches where some of the competitors had nickel cases in their gunbelts, but don't know where they come from or what caliber they were. A local plater I have used for a few things says they can plate brass cartridge cases easily and "inexpensively" but I don't know how cheap that really might be.

Bawana jim
August 14, 2016, 08:20
Hornady defense ammo in 44 special is Nickle plated cases..

http://www.grafs.com/retail/catalog/category/categoryId/49?

Figure to just buy enough for the belt so the ammo won't corode in the belt..:D

chino*74
August 14, 2016, 08:52
U cannot go wrong with a standard 2 inch belt with bullet loops & pick up an older Hunter brand holster with the snap loop restraint off E-Bay (new old stock), U see them occasionally. That set up is a good field or hiking rig.

MAINER
August 14, 2016, 10:07
I use a 240 grain bullet and 231 powder to get about 750fps. It has modest recoil and not a lot of smoke. It shoots dead to the sights or a hair high. Now I need a holster, thinking Elpaso Saddlery...

http://www.epsaddlery.com/popup.aspx?src=images/Product/large/65.jpg

Ahh, yeah, was thinking 45 Colt, ya know. :facepalm:

My 44 Special load is usually a 240 with Unigue, 7 1/2 or 8 grains depending on the shooter it's intended to be used in.
Also have good luck with a 215gr. GC out of a Lyman mould with 9.0gr Unique.

El Paso is fine leather goods. The one you show in the pic rides a bit too high on the belt for me however.
I like them to have most of the weight below the belt like the one in the pic here.

MAINER
August 14, 2016, 10:24
Hornady defense ammo in 44 special is Nickle plated cases..

http://www.grafs.com/retail/catalog/category/categoryId/49?

Figure to just buy enough for the belt so the ammo won't corode in the belt..:D

Nickle cases will react with leather also and produce a buildup of green goop if left in the loops very long. The goop doesn't etch into the metal as it does with brass, but you won't want to shove a cartridge with it in a chamber.

I had this problem back in the 90's when I packed a Handgun on a Belt Holster quite often.
I believe the reaction is caused by the tanning process and leather workers may have found a better process in the past dozen years.

Bawana jim
August 14, 2016, 10:36
Nickle cases will react with leather also and produce a buildup of green goop if left in the loops very long. The goop doesn't etch into the metal as it does with brass, but you won't want to shove a cartridge with it in a chamber.

I had this problem back in the 90's when I packed a Handgun on a Belt Holster quite often.
I believe the reaction is caused by the tanning process and leather workers may have found a better process in the past dozen years.

Thanks, I was hoping I could get away with Nickle but guess I will just have to shoot more often:bow: Brightens my day...:wink:

Wildcat
August 18, 2016, 22:15

The better process is vegetable tanning and people in the business of making holsters should proudly indicate that they use vegetable tanned leather; instead of chromium sulfate tanning.

D P Six
August 19, 2016, 13:52
Had an interest (obsession) with Colt SAA's through much of the 1990's. Prices were so unaffordable for me and upgrades (fakes) were common that I moved on to other interests. Have some fun and look at the inventory at Collector Firearms http://www.collectorsfirearms.com/colt-single-actions-1st-generation/ . 2nd and 3rd generation are of course 'more reasonably' priced. (Collector Firearms charges top dollar).

Texgunner
August 19, 2016, 14:37
Yes Collector's is pretty expensive. But, it's a damned fine place to kill a couple hours. It's as much a museum as a gunstore imho.

bulletslap
August 19, 2016, 17:08
To celebrate my 21st birthday I bought a Gen 3 Colt SAA, 5 1/2 inch barrel 44 special, I sold it about 15 years later to pay for a kids braces or somevsuch, and have been mentally kicking my ass for the 20 plus years since. It was a great shooting revolver. :sad:

Bawana jim
September 08, 2016, 00:12
Well I got caught up with loading 44 special. I switched powders from 5.7 of 231 to 6.5 of unique. The second load filled up the case better and I am getting good groups but it's still a little below point of aim. More I shoot it the gun is just great fun and I ordered another 1000 bullets for it. Still deciding on leather...:D

MAINER
September 08, 2016, 10:19
The 6.5 Unique is a good shooting load in my S&W 24. I keep a box loaded with 7.5 Unique for more purposes other than target/plinking type shooting.
That load is for a Lyman 429421 240 grain cast by the way. Skeeter had that one in his articles.

Been hearing that Universal Clays is a good cast bullet powder, but still have a bunch of Unique to burn.

Dang it, I tarried a bit too long to pick up a Cimmaron in 44 Special from a internet dealer recently, OOS now. :facepalm:

Bawana jim
September 08, 2016, 10:41
I miss them old gun magazine writers like Skeeter Skelton and Elmer Keith. The wealth of firearms knowledge they put out made for some fun times in my life. It's one of the reasons I picked the 44 special, them old guys wrote how good a cartridge it is and they were right.

MAINER
September 08, 2016, 11:37
Skeeter was my favorite all time gun writer. I even enjoyed his stories of Jug Johnson and Shiprock Ranch along with the Me and Joe stuff. I have a real old copy of Shooting Times when he wrote an article as Charles A Skelton. He and Bill Jordan seemed to enjoy poking fun at each other while writing for different mags.

Elmer was a real curmudgeon of a time gone by. He grew up in a much different world than we know. I pretty much go along with his Handgun stuff, but differ with him when it comes to rifles. He bad-mouthed my 30-06 and I never forgave him for it. :D

Bawana jim
September 08, 2016, 12:37
I remember Skeeter saying the 380 was just as good as a snubby 38 and tested it against pine boards... I bought a 380 :facepalm: Loved his old stories and the way guns were part of the lifestyle. It's one of the reasons I bought a Colt SAA 44, it brings to mind the old days as I picture them...

MAINER
September 09, 2016, 08:09
Did you buy any of his books? I have most of what's in the pic, including the SA, but never found the "Handgun Tales". His wife is supposed to have written about him after his passing, but I don't have that one either.

Texgunner
September 09, 2016, 08:34
I like that picture MAINER! :beer:

Bawana jim
September 09, 2016, 09:41
Great picture, took me back 40 years... I still remember his praise of the 5 inch Smith 27... I don't have any of his books but will start looking for them this weekend at the gunshow..:biggrin: I do own a lot of gun books, Elmer and Jeff Cooper plus Bill Jordan and some Chuck Taylor, good memories of old gunners.:shades: