PDA

View Full Version : Springfield V10 compact guide rod question

skeeterbay
July 30, 2016, 15:00
A friend of mine just purchased a used Springfield V10 Ultra compact and it's giving him a couple of jams. This is the short ported barrel model with high viz front sight.

My question is: Did the V10 compact model come with a threaded guide rod with an allen wrench head from the factory?

This one has the same type guide rod as my new Springfield full size loaded model just shorter. I was under the impression that the v10 compact did not come from the factory with a threaded two piece guide rod.

I suspect this has had a batch of after market parts added as the gun came with three extra recoil springs and six Wilson nylon recoil buffer disks.

Thank you!

MAINER
July 31, 2016, 11:35
Hi. Haven't seen you hereabouts for a bit. :D

That may be a Springer Recoil Rod as my 4" Springer Champ has one and I'm fairly sure it was original even thou I bought the pistol used in Houlton a few years ago. Don't know if Springfield uses them in all their 1911's or not.

The extra springs and disk would lead me to think that aftermarket parts have tried as you suspect also. Likely, the previous owner was having the same jamming problems and trying to find a remedy.

Never cared much for the shorty Officer model1911's, the Commander four incher's the shortest I go in that design.

Certainly no expert here, but your friend's V10 problem could be an Extractor problem or possibly a Barrel link that's too short causing the Barrel to unlock too early. Anyway, that's the first things I'd check after ruling out the mags and ammo which I assume you have already done.

skeeterbay
July 31, 2016, 21:20
@ Mainer, Yes I haven't been on the computer much in the last couple of years. Been sticking to the farm for the most part. I believe the Amish are slowly converting me. :wink:

Thanks for the input :bow:

My full size Springfield is the most accurate 1911 I have ever owned and it digests everything. It's a far better pistol accuracy wise than the old Colt gold cup I had years ago.

I have never handled the V10 compacts before but I thought the couple I saw in gun stores didn't have a guide rod sticking out the end of the slide. I could be wrong it's been a while. He will check the extractor and barrel link. I also think he needs to toss the buffer and replace the recoil spring with a factory one.

Hope things are well with you down there. Take care and thanks again for the information.