PDA

View Full Version : New stainless Ruger 10/22 Target

TNAndy
July 29, 2016, 23:45
I had been looking for my ideal .22 LR rifle for at least a couple of years. A few weeks ago, I finally found it for a reasonable price on GunBroker. I put in a bid and I was the only bidder. This is my first Ruger brand firearm.

What did I get? It is the 10/22 Target model with the stainless steel barrel, new-in-box. The model number is 1136. What makes it special is the stock is not the usual black laminate. The black laminate looks OK, I guess, but I think the brown laminate stock is much more attractive. The model 1136 is not currently available from Ruger as far as I can tell. I'd be curious to know when this rifle was manufactured.

I don't understand why Ruger doesn't offer more choices in the color of the stock for Target model rifles. Some folks might prefer to have the black stock affixed to a blued rifle. Others, like me, might prefer the brown stock with the polished stainless barrel. I suspect the stocks are easily interchangeable, so it ought to be up to the purchaser. If this rifle had been readily available, I'd have bought it a long time ago.

I bought a couple of clear 10 round magazines and a pair of clear-sided BX-25 mags. It will be convenient to see how many rounds they contain at a glance.

After a few days of hunting on Gun-Deals and AmmoSeek, I found some .22 LR ammo at Cabelas. The cost was outrageous, yet they sold out quickly. It was just under 8 cents per round including shipping--about 2-1/2 times the price it ought to be--but at least I have something to feed the Ruger.

It sure would be cool to have a matching all-stainless FAL with a walnut stock, pistol grip, and handguards, but I'm not holding my breath on that one, either.

xtremerange
July 30, 2016, 07:47
By the description I have the same rifle. Bought mine off the shelf in 2001 or 2002.

That is about all I know. Love it even though it doesn't get out much.

gunplumber
July 30, 2016, 10:16
What about a Magpul hunter stock in FDE?

gordonm1
July 30, 2016, 10:58
I have an earlier blued version with the 20" barrel. The stock and barrel make for a hefty .22 with adult sized stock. The front heavy balance and heft helped me make quick offhand shots like you might make hunting, but it can also bring fatigue quickly in extended plinking.

The aftermarket parts available are seemingly endless so they are fun guns to modify. I changed out the barrel switching to a 16" with a bentz chamber. The target barrel shot bulk ammo better than standard Ruger barrels but not as well as the new 16" barrel. I didn't try it with much high quality ammo but I think the bentz chamber is supposed to do better with everything with a possible loss in reliability(which I haven't noticed is enough to care about). I think there are people that can rechamber the target barrel to shoot stingers really well.

Overall, mine is/was a quality .22LR semi-auto in stock form and fun to shoot(especially while sitting, with a rest and high power scope). Recoil from the action can and does damage poorly constructed scopes so some research will help you find a scope that will last.

Check out RimfireCentral forums. There's about a years worth of reading there on 10/22's.

TNAndy
July 31, 2016, 12:22
What about a Magpul hunter stock in FDE?

What about it in relation to what?

gunplumber
July 31, 2016, 15:16
http://www.keithrn.com/site/wp-content/uploads/2014/05/spoonfeeding-baby.jpg

tac-40
July 31, 2016, 17:20
Since Mark is being cryptic this weekend, I'll help you out:

https://www.magpul.com/Admin/Public/GetImage.ashx?Image=/Files/Files/Images/Products/ButtStocks/MAG548-X-22/MAG548-FDE-151.png&Width=1200&Height=700&altFmImage_path=/Files/Files/Images/Products/noImage.png&Crop=5

SPECIFICATIONS

Hunter X-22 Stock
•Weight: 2.45 lbs (w/two Spacers installed)
•LOP Adjustment Range: ~12.5-14.5 in.
•Width of Forend, max: 1.9 in.
•Width of Butt, max: 1.5 in.
•Butt-Pad Dimensions: 1.5x5.0 in.

TNAndy
July 31, 2016, 20:35
Since Mark is being cryptic this weekend, I'll help you out:

https://www.magpul.com/Admin/Public/GetImage.ashx?Image=/Files/Files/Images/Products/ButtStocks/MAG548-X-22/MAG548-FDE-151.png&Width=1200&Height=700&altFmImage_path=/Files/Files/Images/Products/noImage.png&Crop=5

SPECIFICATIONS

Hunter X-22 Stock
•Weight: 2.45 lbs (w/two Spacers installed)
•LOP Adjustment Range: ~12.5-14.5 in.
•Width of Forend, max: 1.9 in.
•Width of Butt, max: 1.5 in.
•Butt-Pad Dimensions: 1.5x5.0 in.

Thanks for the picture and the specs, but I have no interest in this stock. The one I have is precisely the one I wanted.

I assume GP is attempting to obfuscate or irritate. Either way, I no longer care why he brought it up.

fnogger
July 31, 2016, 22:29
I had been looking for my ideal .22 LR rifle for at least a couple of years. A few weeks ago, I finally found it for a reasonable price on GunBroker. I put in a bid and I was the only bidder. This is my first Ruger brand firearm.

What did I get? It is the 10/22 Target model with the stainless steel barrel, new-in-box. The model number is 1136. What makes it special is the stock is not the usual black laminate. The black laminate looks OK, I guess, but I think the brown laminate stock is much more attractive. The model 1136 is not currently available from Ruger as far as I can tell. I'd be curious to know when this rifle was manufactured.

I don't understand why Ruger doesn't offer more choices in the color of the stock for Target model rifles. Some folks might prefer to have the black stock affixed to a blued rifle. Others, like me, might prefer the brown stock with the polished stainless barrel. I suspect the stocks are easily interchangeable, so it ought to be up to the purchaser. If this rifle had been readily available, I'd have bought it a long time ago.

I bought a couple of clear 10 round magazines and a pair of clear-sided BX-25 mags. It will be convenient to see how many rounds they contain at a glance.

After a few days of hunting on Gun-Deals and AmmoSeek, I found some .22 LR ammo at Cabelas. The cost was outrageous, yet they sold out quickly. It was just under 8 cents per round including shipping--about 2-1/2 times the price it ought to be--but at least I have something to feed the Ruger.

It sure would be cool to have a matching all-stainless FAL with a walnut stock, pistol grip, and handguards, but I'm not holding my breath on that one, either.

Don't bother with the BX trigger. For $45 send it to Brimstone Gunsmithing for a Tier 3 job at 2-2.5lbs or spend $110 and get the KIDD drop in stuff. And then shoot it. Maybe experiment with bedding it - use aluminum tape to test with and see what it does for you.

gunplumber
August 01, 2016, 07:34
Thanks for the picture and the specs, but I have no interest in this stock. The one I have is precisely the one I wanted.

Apparently not, or you wouldn't have posted your lamentations on stock options.

I assume GP is attempting to obfuscate or irritate. Either way, I no longer care why he brought it up.

No, dingbat - I was providing you with a quality alternative target stock in a color that looks good with stainless.

I no longer care to assist you in your quest - you are not worth my valuable time.

TNAndy
August 01, 2016, 10:36
Apparently not, or you wouldn't have posted your lamentations on stock options.

No, dingbat, you misread my OP. It took me so long to acquire this 10/22 because I waited to buy until I found the model with the exact stock I was looking for. As I said, "What makes it special is the stock is not the usual black laminate." (Emphasis added.) Special means good. Not only that, but I waited to get precisely what I wanted at a well-below-market price for stainless. I could have bought a stainless rifle with a black stock and then paid more to exchange stocks years ago. I don't know about you, but I prefer to not poke money down a rat hole. It costs me nothing to wait.

My so-called "lamentations" had to do with Ruger not offering more choices of easily swapped stocks. When *I* went to business school, the marketing classes taught me to do what makes customers--and potential customers--happy. Offering more stock choices at near-zero marginal cost would accomplish that. Insulting people who might consider hiring you someday does not. But since I'm sure you have all the business you could ever want, by all means, please continue to berate members of your target market here on the FALfiles. :p

No, dingbat - I was providing you with a quality alternative target stock in a color that looks good with stainless.

I no longer care to assist you in your quest - you are not worth my valuable time.

Yet you invested your "valuable time" in searching for and posting a sarcastic baby photo? :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: How much ROI did you get? What's even funnier is I suspect you won't be able to resist wasting even more of your "valuable time" by not only reading this, but by making the effort to post additional insults. Feel free to prove me wrong. :biggrin:

I invite you to never "assist" me again. Unless you get your jollies from posting caustic remarks, I'm sure you'll be happier if I'm on your ignore list. :wink: