PDA

View Full Version : MPi KM sight adjustment problem

catmguy445
July 21, 2016, 00:10
A few years ago I bought an East German MPi KM kit from Apex, and a few weeks ago finally got around to having it put together. The kit was all matching numbers, Romanian chrome lined barrel (the Germans won't/can't export AK barrels), and I ordered a NoDak Spud NDS-1 receiver for it. It was assembled by Corey Weathermon at Northwest Gun Supply in Nampa, Idaho, who did a great job, and I highly recommend his work.

I took the gun to the range a couple weeks ago to sight it in. The rifle performed flawlessly as far as feeding, firing, and extraction, and shot a nice tight group. However, I had a problem trying to adjust the front sight for windage. I got the elevation dialed in with not problem, but when I tried to move the front sight post, it wouldn't budge. I have a regular AK sight adjustment tool, so I hooked that up and with moderate pressure on the sight adjusting screw, the sight post wouldn't move. Okay, maybe it just needs a little more biffy* on the adjustment screw. That accomplished installing a bruise on the heel of my right hand, but didn't move the sight.

I figured that a little more leverage might work, so I took a large pair of pliers and used that on the adjustment screw handle. At first I thought that had worked, because the tool moved. On closer inspection, no, it didn't move. It bent the tool, and the sight post still wouldn't move.

So I decided that chemical warfare was the next step. Four days ago, I put a drop of Kroil on the front sight and have had the rifle in a vertical position since then. The drop of Kroil is still where I put it. Not a bit of it has soaked in.

Any of you AK experts out there have any suggestions for freeing up the front sight post to where I can move it with the adjustment tool?

Thanks in advance,
Zeke

*Biffy = Ackronym BFFI, which stands for Brute Force & F**king Ignorance; usually considered to mean "Use a bigger hammer" if something won't move that's supposed to move.

gunplumber
July 21, 2016, 08:22
What tool are you using? Maybe you need to get a better tool. The little chinese ones suck. The big chinese one is great (Polytech).

try moving the wrong direction and see if it is still tight.

It is highly unlikely, but possible that the sight mount is damaged (flared) on the side that needs to be pushed.

catmguy445
July 28, 2016, 11:34
Mark,

Thanks for the advice. You were right, I needed a better tool. I did a search on YouTube and came up with a couple of videos done by a Russian Expat on adjusting AK sights, and he recommended a tool called Magna-Matic. Despite the kinda hokey name, this tool is very sturdy. It's more or less almost idiot-proof, because it only has one moving part. The part that fits over the sight has no gap in it and completely surrounds the sight post, so it can't open up any. The lever arm is 4 1/2" long, so it gives you a lot of leverage. It's made in Wisconsin, and there are two versions; the standard and gunsmith models. The gunsmith model is even heavier duty than the standard model, being thicker and having a 6" lever arm.

I ordered the tool on Friday night, got an email that it was shipped on Monday, and it showed up in the mail on Wednesday (yesterday). I unpacked it and hooked it up to the MPi-KM and tried it, and it worked like a charm. It moved the sight drum with no problem, whereas the other AK sight tool I had wouldn't budge it and bent when I put some torque on it.

If you haven't had any experience with Magna-Matic, here's the website, if you'd like to take a look at it. http://www.magna-matic-defense.com

The model I bought is named the AKFST, and comes with a lifetime warranty, and works for both windage and elevation adjustments. They're also fairly inexpensive. Regular price is about the same as the Poly Tech tool (about $35), and I ordered a factory blemished tool, which was $25. So my sight adjustment problem is now solved, and I'm a happy camper.

gunplumber
July 28, 2016, 14:42
Glad you like it - It's a good tool for the AKM and AK74. I have one in my range bag. But it does not work on the 74u, M92, or any other unitized front sight/gas block combinations. For those, the Polytech is the only one I've found that fits. I also modified mine by increasing the bevel on the underside

catmguy445
August 07, 2016, 21:34
Took the MPi-KM out to the range today, and the Magna-Matic sight tool worked like a charm. I got the windage adjusted with no problem, and the rifle is now zeroed. I'm thinking about installing a Krebs peep sight to improve the sight picture.